WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Yes!!!!! A good trail is so much better than a couple of hot dogs.

I keep reminding everyone that most of us will only get to do this once. Let it be special!

Laurie is right, IMO! Spontaneous Trail Magic is better than a hiker feed. The sparsely populated trail, random trail magic, occasional seclusion. These are the reasons I'm doing a Flip Flop. All the rest is just gravy. I want to hike the Whites in the height of summer. And the crowning jewel for me will be walking through the Smokies (one of my favorite places) in October! That's what will pull me down the trail!

Laurie, you and your husband are more than welcome! We'll leave a light on for ya!

...and anyone crawling out of HF because they drank too much of my wine deserves what they get! It's not the wine's fault it's good!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Thank you so much Laurie! Your kind words and encouragement helped a lot to ass persecutive! Im counting down the days till May 3rd!

I find the conversation of Trail Magic maximization interesting. It suggests that there is a way to hike the trail to receive the greatest amount of Trail Magic, an occurrence that's about random acts of kindness from strangers.

It comes in many forms: A ride, free foods and drink, shard company and conversation with non hiker folk, and even a free nights lodging in someone's home.

Then there are planned happenings along the trail like structure feeds, festival events, and towns. Are these Trail Magic by definition?

A trail town is magical to me: hostel lodging with showers and kitchens, restaurants, camping stores, resupply, movie theaters.

Sometimes you get lucky. I recall hiking in NJ and timing it right at the hostel to be there during a monthly potluck.

So is the conversation that Flippers may miss out on a few events that are scheduled for the Northbound wave?

I figure as Flipping becomes a thing, there will be Flipper specific events.

All of this has got me thinking about Trail Magic. I was thinking about the random nature of it. It feels cool to be the lucky recipient of trail magic. But I was thinking why did it have to be so random? In an age of social media, could trail magic be structured? Could there be a Trail Magic Network that connects hikers to friends of the trail to plan some trail magic?

I recall one year when I lived in Western Mass. I would see the random thru hiker walking in the road and stop to offer a ride. It felt good to give back. But this experience was completely random. I was in the right place at the right time. But I'm sure I missed the opportunity to help out the 100's of other hikers who came near my town.

I figure why not use social media to give potential local friends of the trail, local purveyors of Trail Magic a heads up that you are hiking thru? This would connect local friends of the trail to hikers, so they are both in the right place in the right time.

That would create Trail Magic Maximization.

Default Flip-Flop Kick Off May 2-3 at ATC in Harpers Ferry

Hey guys,

We have a rough schedule of the Flip-Flop Kick Off now posted on our website at www.appalachiantrail.org/flipflop.

SATURDAY, MAY 2 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. featuring music, games, and the following sessions:

- Panel of Flip-Floppers Join Anne "Nubbins" Brown '14 (Pearisburg northbound); Emily "Fiver" Mishler '14 (Harpers Ferry northbound); and Ryan "Castanada" Seltzer '09 (modified "Cool Breeze") for this round table discussion.

- Flipping Out for 30 Days: Lessons Learned by "Treehugger" A month into her flip flop, "Treehugger" will share what she's experienced so far on the Trail.

- Flip-Flopping in 2014 by Anne "Nubbins" Brown Listen to Anne discuss her experiences as a flip-flop hiker last year.

- Thru-Hike Planning by Ryan "Castanada" Seltzer How do you prepare for a long-distance hike of the A.T.? Ryan shares his tips.

- Leave No Trace on the A.T. Find out how to incorporate these principles into your life on the Trail.

SUNDAY, MAY 3, beginning at 7:30 a.m.

- Community breakfast We invite all flip-flop hikers to join the Harpers Ferry community and ATC staff for breakfast from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.

- Official flip-flop hiker send off And they're off! Wish the 2015 class of A.T. flip-floppers the best as they set off on their journey at 9 a.m.

We be adding more details and perhaps tweaking times a bit, but wanted to give folks a rough outline.

Laurie P.
    ATC
    Last edited by Lauriep; 02-05-2015 at 21:17.

Images

Thank you Laurie and the ATC. This is going to be great! I've got goose bumps thinking about it.

Can't wait! Thanks Laurie! This will be so cool! Starting to get butterflies as April gets closer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just gets better all the time! Thanks Laurie!

So where can I get a gas canister in Harpers Ferry?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So where can I get a gas canister in Harpers Ferry?

At the Outfitter and General Store in HF

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

The resources in the north will appreciate all of you early arrivals. Kudos and have fun!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie,

Are there times for the scheduled events for Saturday?

Brian

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    Laurie,

Are there times for the scheduled events for Saturday?

Brian

See here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-...-flop-kick-off

Two Rivers Guest House reservations confirmed. Y'all come by for some wine!

Well, we'll all have time to discuss it during the Kick Off Event.

Countdown: 80 days!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Two Rivers Guest House reservations confirmed. Y'all come by for some wine!

Well, we'll all have time to discuss it during the Kick Off Event.

Countdown: 80 days!
    Our reservations and transportation are set and we are counting down. Looking forward to meeting you and others at the Kick Off in HF!

Hello 2015 Harpers Ferry Flip Floppers!

I have already decided to flip-flop and have been planning a mid-April HF start. Now I'm thinking about pushing back my start date to attend the HF flip flop meeting May 2. Being part of this group, I've come to see as I watch this thread, may be a really good thing. A couple of questions, though...

-Are there any other hostels or inexpensive hiker lodging in HF besides the Tea Horse? I've seen the posting by dangerdave about a house rental - is that still an option?
    -I wonder how many people are already signed up or planing to start May 3 after the kick-off meeting?? Is this going to be another bubble, resulting in crowded shelters, etc?
    -I'm going to start this marathon hike slowly - 7-10 miles per day for at least a week or so. Will I end up hiking pretty much by myself anyway as everybody else picks up their pace and leaves me in their dust in just a day or two? In other words, will I be the only person age 60+ in this group? BTW - I am an experienced backpacker and getting up to 15-20 miles per day is normal for me - after 2-3 weeks on the trail.

Any and all comments by the 2015 HF flip floppers will be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Dave

One more quick question - Assuming there will be room at the Tea Horse, is it a decent place to stay?

Thanks again.

Dave

Images

Dwill1000,

I will be hiking NOBO out of HF on May 3. I'm in the over 55 bunch as I think most of us will be. I think it will be a small bubble and there are 3 shelters within hiking distance north of HF so I don't think over crowding will be a problem. I like to hike 15 to 18 a day, sometimes low 20s; I like to do 10 mi by 12 noon and then figure out a good spot to stop from there. Bears Den Hostel is about 20 mi south of HF, the Blackburn AT Center is about 10 mi south, and you also have the Harper's Ferry Hostel and a couple of hotels in HF.

The Teahorse is great! Clean, quiet, big waffles and good location!!

Dwill1000, i also wanted to let u know that I will be starting early April but closer to Roanoke. I plan on being at the Kick Off May 2. It sounds like you are wanting to leave earlier than May 3 and this maybe an option for you and those like you. You will have your trail legs by the time the FFKO happens too! Just a thought. Also as far as hostels in HF. Theres the HI Hostel on Sandyhook Rd. and several B&Bs in town. The Econodge is good too. I think theres a KOA near HF too.

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++