WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

So of us who had to bail out for one reason or another, who is going to try it again?

Images

I'm not done by any means, my foot's healed, and I've done some short hiking in the SNP recently. I may work on the two pieces of Virginia I have left this fall, but I'm saving Hew Hampshire and Maine for next year.

Same here. Not done. Just have to figure out the best way to go now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have to wait a month for my orthotics to come in, so that brings my thru hopes to an end for 2015. So, I guess I'm a section hiker now. If I get healed up quicker than expected, I might do a section of Virginia south of HF this fall to test the peds. Since I still need to finish Maine, I may try to link up with Jimmyjam next year and we can do that part together. That would be great! 🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

[QUOTE=dangerdave;1995313]I have to wait a month for my orthotics to come in, so that brings my thru hopes to an end for 2015. So, I guess I'm a section hiker now. If I get healed up quicker than expected, I might do a section of Virginia south of HF this fall to test the peds. Since I still need to finish Maine, I may try to link up with Jimmyjam next year and we can do that part together. That would be great!

Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to it.

Update: I'm heading back.

Backstory (pun intended)

Way back in mid may, I hurt my back coming into Duncanon during a thunderstorm. The left side of my back was sore with the pain going into my leg. I humbled with every step. I went to a chiropractor, but as luck would have it, I'd sprained my ribs too before the back leg thing. The ribs I could handle. Nothing to do but wait till they got better and it didn't effect my hiking. But the problem was I couldn't get my back properly adjusted because it consists of the chiropractor pushing aggressively on my back. Normally that would be fine but not with sprained ribs. So I'd tighten up during adjustments getting a kind of half adjustment and making my ribs worse.

So all I could do was wait it out. I also found I was homeless. I'd given up my apartment put everything in storage before my hike. I supposed to ne hiking right. No need to rent a place to.

So no sudden back hurt snd homeless, I had to scramble to find lodging. It was an interesting summer, not exactly the one I planned.

I visited friends in Santa Fe. Rented a room in Northern Vermont for a month, went to 2 film festivals, one where I received an award, saw 50 indie movies, and looked into moving to Chicago to study comedy at Second City.

But, now I'm coming back to he trail. I'm undecided how to do it. It too late and I hike too slow to do the whole thing.

The flippers from the may 3 launch are in Maine, but I'm not sure I can go from 0 to Maine over night.

Was thinking about 2 options.

1: Taking a train to HF on Tuesday and start walking South in the heat.

2: Do CT, MA, and VT...into Hanover about 270 miles, as a warm up then head to HF by 2nd week of Sept

Orange Whip

Journal Entries

I,m an unsuccessful flipper. Had to get off in N.J.... Going south from HF end of sept, early October if anyone's going. EVEREADY
    eveready

Orangewhip, do number 2. Ha! Get it? #2? Those states are fairly easy although not a breeze. Good warm up. I for one am going from 0 to ME but thats becuz I am an idiot, and I love ME.
    And Everready, you will definitely have Flipper company since ME will take about a month to do, which puts many of the flippers that are left right with ya more or less. Specially if we all fill in stuff in New England that wasn't finished yet. Good luck guys!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    Update: I'm heading back.

Backstory (pun intended)

Way back in mid may, I hurt my back coming into Duncanon during a thunderstorm. The left side of my back was sore with the pain going into my leg. I humbled with every step. I went to a chiropractor, but as luck would have it, I'd sprained my ribs too before the back leg thing. The ribs I could handle. Nothing to do but wait till they got better and it didn't effect my hiking. But the problem was I couldn't get my back properly adjusted because it consists of the chiropractor pushing aggressively on my back. Normally that would be fine but not with sprained ribs. So I'd tighten up during adjustments getting a kind of half adjustment and making my ribs worse.

So all I could do was wait it out. I also found I was homeless. I'd given up my apartment put everything in storage before my hike. I supposed to ne hiking right. No need to rent a place to.

So no sudden back hurt snd homeless, I had to scramble to find lodging. It was an interesting summer, not exactly the one I planned.

I visited friends in Santa Fe. Rented a room in Northern Vermont for a month, went to 2 film festivals, one where I received an award, saw 50 indie movies, and looked into moving to Chicago to study comedy at Second City.

But, now I'm coming back to he trail. I'm undecided how to do it. It too late and I hike too slow to do the whole thing.

The flippers from the may 3 launch are in Maine, but I'm not sure I can go from 0 to Maine over night.

Was thinking about 2 options.

1: Taking a train to HF on Tuesday and start walking South in the heat.

2: Do CT, MA, and VT...into Hanover about 270 miles, as a warm up then head to HF by 2nd week of Sept

Orange Whip
    I like Plan 2. Lighten your pack as much as you safely can and start SLOW. Its not a race. Good luck OW!

Yeah, #2 sounds good. Its kind of a pain in my #2 to get to the trail. Harpers is so easy because the train stops there. It will be easy to get to on the way down.

I'm thinking Kent CT or Salisbury, CT to start.

Orange Whip, The terrain from Salisbury north is tougher than you might expect. My husband and I started a section-hike there and the miles went slower than we thought. There are some rocky and steep sections right off the bat. Not saying you shouldn't choose this, just don't get discouraged if your mileage in lower than anticipated.

Good luck whatever you decide to do! Glad you are getting out there!

The good news is that the trail is off the beaten path. The bad news is that its so far off that its hard to get to the path by train, bus, or plane, or pricey shuttle.

So I'm working on trying to find a storage place near the trail to park my car for a few weeks in the CT/MA area.

Another suggestions or thoughts?

OW

Ask Hudson at Bearded Woods Hostel about transportation to Kent/Salisbury. He is amazing. Heck they will probs know where to park your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    Ask Hudson at Bearded Woods Hostel about transportation to Kent/Salisbury. He is amazing. Heck they will probs know where to park your car.

Thanks. My plan is to drive there and he said I can park for $2 a day. They close Labor Day, so I'll have to figure out about my car, if I want to hike another week up North before heading south.

"Those Flippin' Milanders" Update - Heading back to VA to start south from Swift Run Gap after consuming some lobsters and seeing some friends and family on the drive down. Planning on slacking the southern Shenandoah section in 2 days to start off...

DSCN0669.jpg

It's great to see you all still pushing. I'm your biggest fan! At times, my envy is overwhelming.
    I replay my failed thru hike in my mind every day. It seems to indicate that my downfall was overconfidence, which is not new to me. I really thought I could make it, and that nothing could stop me. I was a fool. The whole time I was setting myself up for failure. I thought I could "walk it off". And now I'm paying the price. After a month at home, I'm still dealing with daily pain, and the huge dish of crow I have to choke down.
    I'm sorry, my friends. I failed you, too.

Hiking is never a failure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    It's great to see you all still pushing. I'm your biggest fan! At times, my envy is overwhelming.
    I replay my failed thru hike in my mind every day. It seems to indicate that my downfall was overconfidence, which is not new to me. I really thought I could make it, and that nothing could stop me. I was a fool. The whole time I was setting myself up for failure. I thought I could "walk it off". And now I'm paying the price. After a month at home, I'm still dealing with daily pain, and the huge dish of crow I have to choke down.
    I'm sorry, my friends. I failed you, too.

Don't look at it as a failure. Look at it as being able to spread the hiking fun out over more time. You did not fail. The 800 or so miles you hiked at one time is quite an accomplishment and a great adventure. Thru hikers have one long adventure. LASHERs have multiple adventures. :-)

"Those Flippin' Milanders" Update - Back in VA after a relaxing drive down the coast sightseeing. Some of you might have met (or hiked with) Batona. She summited Katahdin a few days after Bourbon & Spice (I think she said the 11th), and has been moving south from HF over the past week or so. I passed her today @ the Loft Mtn. campground while I was slacking the southern section of the SNP. My wife &I will be donning full packs again on Saturday to continue toward Springer.

Danger...definitely not a failure. Chin up...you rocked some hard miles. We never know when the body will tell us it needs a break. Heal up!

I hiked with Batona for a while. Last saw here in the pouring rain on the monastery's ball field near Hudson. If you see her again, tell her Danger says hey and wishes her the best.

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
++ New Posts ++