WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Dwill, you probably dont need a full water bladder. Carry only about 1 to 1.5 liters camel up at each water source, and about 3-4 days of food and only one canaster. Now yer at 30 lbs!

Squeezebox, all good udeas. Trim weight. U wont be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    Dwill, you probably dont need a full water bladder. Carry only about 1 to 1.5 liters camel up at each water source, and about 3-4 days of food and only one canaster. Now yer at 30 lbs!
    Thanks! You never know how much water to bring until you get on the trail and see how frequently you come across water. I tend to carry too much water - I've been stuck with no water before a couple of times overnight. I agree with you about food. I'm carrying 6-days to start from Harper's Ferry because the first opportunity to resupply (according to the Companion) is about 50-miles. And I can guarantee I'll be hiking less than 10-miles a day to start!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dwill1000 View Post
    Thanks! You never know how much water to bring until you get on the trail and see how frequently you come across water. I tend to carry too much water - I've been stuck with no water before a couple of times overnight. I agree with you about food. I'm carrying 6-days to start from Harper's Ferry because the first opportunity to resupply (according to the Companion) is about 50-miles. And I can guarantee I'll be hiking less than 10-miles a day to start!
    There are ways to reduce the amount of food to carry even if you are doing low mileage days. Study your AWOL guide for options near the trail within easy walking/hitching distance or businesses that deliver to trail locations. For example, when you get to Penn Mar park, you can call for pizza/food delivery to Penn Mar from Bobby D's in Waynesboro, PA or one of the other two pizza places nearby. Order something for lunch and something else to carry with you for dinner (their menu is online.) This reduces one lunch and one dinner that you need to carry with you from HF. This is what I'm planning. The sections north of HF have lots of road crossings and getting into towns shouldn't be too hard. I am planning on carrying a bit less food out of HF than I think I need and will rely on hitching to town if I find I am running too low and want to pick up a bit more food.

Learn the technique to "camel up". I carefully study the water sources for the day and feel they should be flowing this time of year. I drink enough at the source to get me to the next source if it's not too far. And then just I carry a little extra with me (usually much less than a liter). And then I will only carry a couple of liters if I am truly planning a dry camp. I've hated times arriving at camp with a great water source with 2 liters of water on my back because I was "afraid" the source would be dry. (We do tend to pack our fears.)

Food and water are your biggest variables for pack weight and careful management of these items will really reduce your overall pack weight.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    There are ways to reduce the amount of food to carry even if you are doing low mileage days. Study your AWOL guide for options near the trail within easy walking/hitching distance or businesses that deliver to trail locations. For example, when you get to Penn Mar park, you can call for pizza/food delivery to Penn Mar from Bobby D's in Waynesboro, PA or one of the other two pizza places nearby. Order something for lunch and something else to carry with you for dinner (their menu is online.) This reduces one lunch and one dinner that you need to carry with you from HF. This is what I'm planning. The sections north of HF have lots of road crossings and getting into towns shouldn't be too hard. I am planning on carrying a bit less food out of HF than I think I need and will rely on hitching to town if I find I am running too low and want to pick up a bit more food.

Learn the technique to "camel up". I carefully study the water sources for the day and feel they should be flowing this time of year. I drink enough at the source to get me to the next source if it's not too far. And then just I carry a little extra with me (usually much less than a liter). And then I will only carry a couple of liters if I am truly planning a dry camp. I've hated times arriving at camp with a great water source with 2 liters of water on my back because I was "afraid" the source would be dry. (We do tend to pack our fears.)

Food and water are your biggest variables for pack weight and careful management of these items will really reduce your overall pack weight.
    Thanks for the tips! All my experience (many years) has been in the Sierras - and resupply is more challenging there. Everything has to be shipped in to very few specific locations. And late in the season water can be scarce. The whole concept of ordering a pizza from the trail is bizarre to me!! I'm going into this hike with the attitude that I will learn (quickly?) how to adapt and carry as little as possible. The only places I'm shipping myself food is for the White Mountains and 100-Mile Wilderness. Everywhere else I will resupply from locations near the trail.

Dave

Images

Most of my experience in the last 20+ years were in the Sierras as well. I understand where you are coming from. Reading here on WB and various trail journals has taught me that the AT is a completely different trail than the PCT or various trails of the Sierras. I view the AT as a series of 2-4 (or 5) day hikes and my goal is to get from town to town as efficiently as possible and take advantage of services that are located near the trail. I don't necessarily plan on staying in towns all the time but just use them for resupply and carry as little between those points as possible.

I am putting together some mail drops for the first few weeks and after that will only rely on mail drops from home for specific dietary items that I probably can't get along the way. I am going to utilize as many mail drops at the Notches in the Whites as possible to minimize what I have to carry between those points as well as taking advantage of the food options the AMC huts have for thru hikers.

I'll probably have my wife do some substantial maildrops to me in Maine as well.

Good luck.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 04-12-2015 at 11:17.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Down to 31 lbs with 1.5 liters and five days of food. Not sure how much lower I can go. But its down from 37 lbs. 30 sounds like a nice round number.

Anyone looking to do a labor day south launch from HF like ATC suggests? It could be a flipper party take 2.

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    Down to 31 lbs with 1.5 liters and five days of food. Not sure how much lower I can go. But its down from 37 lbs. 30 sounds like a nice round number.

Anyone looking to do a labor day south launch from HF like ATC suggests? It could be a flipper party take 2.
    My very iffy planning spreadsheet has me back in HF September 15 - a week after Labor Day. But I actually have no idea when I will start phase 2. My only solid plan is to hike just as fast as I want to - no more and no less.

Yes Dwill, having a full bladder is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Yes Dwill, having a full bladder is not a good idea.
    I promise to pee as required by my bladder.

Images

We camped at Big Meadows (SNP) this weekend and did little loop hike from the campground- Lewis falls Trail to Lewis Falls and then took the AT NOBO back to the campground. It felt good to get out and hike. Just a couple more weeks!!!

Looks like we will have a spot opening up at the Two River Guest House for the nights of May 1st & 2nd. First come! $40/night. And it's a really nice place.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Hey Danger,

I'm making a slight change in plans. I won't be walking into HF, I'm going to ride up the morning of 5/2 with my wife. We're still planning on staying with ya'll at the house. We should be there 10am ish. How far is the ATC HQ from the Two River House?

Wife & I are getting dropped off in the SNP tomorrow morning...gonna take it easy & slow. Should be to HF in about 2 weeks...see y'all up the trail! :-)

Hope I see you out there! Good luck! Have fun!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kushtakaa View Post
    Wife & I are getting dropped off in the SNP tomorrow morning...gonna take it easy & slow. Should be to HF in about 2 weeks...see y'all up the trail! :-)
    We'll keep a light on for ya, or an extra log on the campfire.
    Simple is good.

Images

Treated all my gear today with permethrin. Just a couple more weeks.

Gear.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Treated all my gear today with permethrin. Just a couple more weeks.

Gear.jpg
    jimmyjam--I treated all my stuff yesterday too, but didn't think about soaking the CF tarp and sleeves. Does the permethrin penetrate Cuben Fiber?

Images

Humminbard,

No I don't think it penetrates it but just dries on the surface. The Sawyer permethrin I use says for clothing and tents so I put on my clothes, shoes, tarp, net tent, and foam sit pad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I've yet to get a tick bite over 450+ AT miles.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Hey Danger,

I'm making a slight change in plans. I won't be walking into HF, I'm going to ride up the morning of 5/2 with my wife. We're still planning on staying with ya'll at the house. We should be there 10am ish. How far is the ATC HQ from the Two River House?
    About 2200' as the crow flies.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++