WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast

Give some time leaving Madison Hut. It took me 4 hours to cover the 3 miles from Madison Hut to the Osgood campsite. I would hate to do it in wet conditions. Be safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It you do slack go from Pinkham Notch north. The last 2.5 miles or so are easy and if you are out after dark it is an easy and fun section to night hike. It took 12 hours of hiking time. Great views too. Enjoy.

Made it over the Presidential range! My feet hurt! Time for a zero...

AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Tenting @ the Welcome Hiker hostel, gearing up to climb Moose-Poo-laki.

Those Flippin' Milanders...

Hi all, just checking in for status update. I had to get off the trail in Mass and head home for a bit - my mother had to have surgery and I needed to be there for that. She is fine, but now waiting for more biopsy results as the tumor was much larger than expected. In the meantime, that unexpected trip blew a huge hole in my hiking budget. But I am not done yet. I have come back to Harpers Ferry and will head SOBO from here. That way I will be closer to home if I am needed and can finish more of the trail with the funds I have left. Hopefully, mom will be fine and I can finish at least 3/4 of the trail this year. I will have to make up the rest of MA, VT & NH next year. Oh well. Good luck to all who are still out there, I will miss hiking with everyone, but I look forward to meeting new friends on the soutern half of the trail. Faith

Images

Hiker Faith,

Best wishes for you and your mom.

Hiker Faith,

This is Scout. Sorry about your mom. Hope heals quickly and thing go well. Glad you are back out on the trail. Not sure if you had heard I had to go home after getting 2 stress fractures in my right foot. Boot comes off this week. I'll be doing long sections to finish as I can. Been wondering about you, Beggie Bear and One Sock.

I'm so sorry that so many of you have had injuries, health issues, or the same with family.

If any hikers from the Flip Flop Kick Off need anything that I can do in a couple hours on my way home from Monson, Maine tomorrow, let me know.

My husband, ""Peter Pan," and I will be driving to Vermont or maybe Ma. or Ct. tomorrow; rest of the way Tues.

If you can pinpoint a time you'll be at a paved road crossing and it fits our schedule, we can bring food, drinks or supplies, or take you to town.

Best to text me at 304-671-3543.

Laurie P.

Faith, sorry to hear you were off the trail, especially given the reason. I hope your mom is ok. I am off right now due to knee issues. I also got off in MASS. I will be hiking the Shennies soon tho. Let me know when you think you may hit them and maybe I can join you for a few miles. I will be heading back north in mid August to try to get to ME. I am looking forward to hiking in the late summer/early fall!!

Laurie, as usual you are so thoughtful to offer help. I hope I can take you up on that offer eventually!!

And another one bites the dust...
    The doctor says to get off the trail before I do permanent nerve damage to my feet. Been hiking a long time in a lot of pain. I'm disappointed, but proud of my 909 mile walk. My feet will dictate if I ever make it back out, and if Johnna (my wife) will ever let go of me again.
    The best of luck to all of you still out there, and speedy recovery to the rest of us broken down Flip-Floppers!

AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    And another one bites the dust...
    The doctor says to get off the trail before I do permanent nerve damage to my feet. Been hiking a long time in a lot of pain. I'm disappointed, but proud of my 909 mile walk. My feet will dictate if I ever make it back out, and if Johnna (my wife) will ever let go of me again.
    The best of luck to all of you still out there, and speedy recovery to the rest of us broken down Flip-Floppers!

Sorry to hear that Danger. Go home and take it easy on those feet and sip on some of that great wine that you make with your wife. The trail will be there for you when you are ready. I finally have almost all of the feeling back in my feet- I think in another week they will 100%.

Images

Danger, I hope you have a speedy recovery. You've had an amazing accomplishment with the 900 miles!
    Simple is good.

Oh no Danger! I am sorry to heqr this. Please say you will walk with me when I make my way south this fall, even if for a few days. I have wanted to walk with you since our wine and greet during the kick off. Congrats on yer accomplishments so far and I hope you heal fast. Take good care my friend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Danger, I'm sorry to hear you are off the trail. I know how much you are enjoying the trail. It's important to take care of yourself for the long haul. I trust you will be able to get back out there someday. Enjoy your time back home with your wife and your great wine.

Danger Dave,

I'm so very sorry to hear this. But you can be proud of those 900+ miles, and I hope you have many wonderful memories. You have been a leader in so many respects, and an inspiration to us all. I hope you and Johnna will come back to Harpers Ferry again soon. Hopefully your feet will heal quickly.

- Laurie

Danger Dave,

I'm so very sorry to hear this. But you can be proud of those 900+ miles, and I hope you have many wonderful memories. You have been a leader in so many respects, and an inspiration to us all. I hope you and Johnna will come back to Harpers Ferry again soon. Hopefully your feet will heal quickly.

- Laurie

I am also off the trail for the rest of this year. Turns out my mom is worse off than we expected, so I am going home to see her through another surgery and waiting to see if there will need to be chemo &/or radiation. I will miss the hiking and the people I have met along the way. Good luck to all those still on the trail and to those who have had to leave for one reason or another, I hope to see you all back out on the trail in the future!

Greetings.
    Stereotypical Thru Hike hopeful. Putting Grad School on hold, running from things, searching for things, etc.
    Considering that I’ll be getting a pretty late start (around September 1st) I was looking for some subject matter expert advice.
    I know that around October 15th the standard thru hike season ends. Hence the SOBO attempt in order to knock out New England and Katahdin first and head south as Winter approaches with the most difficult pieces complete prior to the state park shutting it down.
    The question is whether or not there is a recommended point on the trail to insert, and head North to Katahdin from I would have approximately 45 days to get from insertion to the peak. The idea would be to then double back to my start point and continue south from there. Additionally I’d have a little more time to get my trail legs prior to hitting the tougher spots.
    Current level of fitness is average, but by no means grossly out of shape. Current knowledge level of hiking, backpacking, and moving in Winter conditions is not expert level, but probably well above average. I’ve mountaineered and patrolled through the mountains in North Georgia during Ranger school, conducted patrols in Afghanistan in the Hindu Kush, and went through Mountain Cold Weather training in college (Norwich University in Vermont).
    So I guess I’m asking if this course of action is feasible and if so what your recommendations are. Thank you all very much for your help and assistance!
    Cheers!

Greetings.
    Stereotypical Thru Hike hopeful. Putting Grad School on hold, running from things, searching for things, etc.
    Considering that I’ll be getting a pretty late start (around September 1st) I was looking for some subject matter expert advice.
    I know that around October 15th the standard thru hike season ends. Hence the SOBO attempt in order to knock out New England and Katahdin first and head south as Winter approaches with the most difficult pieces complete prior to the state park shutting it down.
    The question is whether or not there is a recommended point on the trail to insert, and head North to Katahdin from I would have approximately 45 days to get from insertion to the peak. The idea would be to then double back to my start point and continue south from there. Additionally I’d have a little more time to get my trail legs prior to hitting the tougher spots.
    Current level of fitness is average, but by no means grossly out of shape. Current knowledge level of hiking, backpacking, and moving in Winter conditions is not expert level, but probably well above average. I’ve mountaineered and patrolled through the mountains in North Georgia during Ranger school, conducted patrols in Afghanistan in the Hindu Kush, and went through Mountain Cold Weather training in college (Norwich University in Vermont).
    So I guess I’m asking if this course of action is feasible and if so what your recommendations are. Thank you all very much for your help and assistance!
    Cheers!

Images

Read the Barefoot Sisters account of their SOBO hike. Plenty of winter weather down south for sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Siste...refoot+sisters
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++