WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1038

I saw it yesterday, on my birthday. I'll admit I laughed a few time, but I went away feeling disappointed. They could have thrown in at least one conservation-minded reference. They deviated from the book a lot, so adding some usable info would not have been a stretch.

The same whisper was heard in the theatre throughout the movie: What did he (Katz) say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Journal Entries

I read on journey the a.t. magazine that they made sure the sounds of the birds in the background correlated with the area they were at....... but they didn't even have a real shelter/hut, you can tell it was built. I hate to talk bad of the film, but I was really disappointed
    eveready

HF Flip Flopper, summitted September 15th, beginning the "Flop" part of my hike on October 1st heading south!

--Dirty Rotten Liar

Congrats Dirty Rotten Liar.

Journal Entries
    Images

What all potential thru-hikers that are over 50 years old have to realize is that it's hard work. It's not a leasurly stroll in the woods. It's a different way of life you have to adopt too. After I thru-hiked at 66 years old I told folks "It's the hardest job I ever had." It's sort of like going in to the military. You must adapt of fail. A whole new set of creature comforts have to excepted and adjusted to. Some of these are; Carrying a pack weighing around 30 pounds, being subject to all sorts of weather, eating sub standard food, being dirty most of the time, being removed from family and friends, having to sleep in conditions most of use are not accustomed to. Most of all, doing it every day. Day in and day out.
    The younger ones seem to adapt better than the older ones.
    Grampie-N->2001

Grampie is right. The younger hikers do seem to have an easier time of it than the older hikers.

Although we don't track the ages of hikers, what I observed among this year's flip-floppers is that a significant percentage starting out from Harpers Ferry were older.

However, the majority of those returning to Harpers Ferry--at least so far--have been the younger hikers. Quite a few of the older hikers who did return commented on how tough the journey from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin had been. As a group, the younger hikers seem to find the journey less punishing. I am still hoping that we will see some more of the over-50 hikers returning to Harpers Ferry to head south.

Over-50 hikers seem to have more knee/feet/leg issues, more likely to be affected by illness (both pre-existing and hiking-induced), and more likely to have family concerns that pull them back home. Just my very unscientific observations.

I hope all those who had to get off somewhere between Harpers Ferry and Katahdin will resume their A.T. journeys as section-hikers, and discover the rewards of doing the A.T. in this fashion.

Just yesterday we had a two 60-something women come in to report completing a 14-year section-hike of the A.T. together, overcoming some significant medical challenges. One had an ileostomy, the other was a breast cancer survivor who was diagnosed with M.S. during her hike. There have also been over-50 thru-hikers with some major medical challenges to overcome--Bill Irwin, the first blind hiker, and Bob Barker, who had M.S. and hiked the A.T. 3 times with crutches.

Journal Entries

Hi Laurie,

Planning and gearing up for a 2016 flip flop from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin then back to Harpers Ferry to Springer.
    I am humbled by the difficulties some of the 2015 Flip Floppers have had but We are not detoured. Will really take it slow and steady as the trail dictates. I have read the entire 2015 flip Floppers Unite thread. If a snails pace is what is called for so be it. We are presently riding bikes over 100 miles per week to train and plan to hike the Pinhoti Trail for extended days as preparation.
    My husband and I plan to make reservations at Harpers Ferry as soon as the official 2016 Flip Flop Kick Off date Is set. We enjoyed our visit with you at the ATC on August 25th and are excited about being there again at the 2016 Flip Flop Kick Off Brenda (HazBen) and Larry (TowSack) Whaley.

Journal Entries

Thanks Lauriep, You understand 50 plus folks have the heart and ambition to go out but our feet and knees let us down. I met you on the 5/2 FF and you were a very nice and good person. Thank you for all the dedication you put in this great adventure....... I'm going out again tomorrow to knock out as much as possible. EVEREADY
    eveready

Default 2014 Flip-Flopper Video by Sweet Siesta

Congratulations, Dirty Rotten Liar! We look forward to seeing you in Harpers Ferry in a week.

Please stop in and get your photo taken. We want to document every flip-flopper! If our hours of 9-5 don't fit your plan, contact me at [email protected] and we might be able to work something out.

I recently learned about this video by a 2014 flip-flopper Sweet Siesta's (Sweets) 2014 AT Through Hike: WV-ME; WV-GA. He started from Harpers Ferry May 24 and reached Katahdin September 15. For the second leg, he started in Harpers Ferry September 27 and finished December 13.

You'll note from the video you start to see touches of snow on Mt. Rogers, close to the southern end of Virginia. Through most of Tennessee and North Carolina, there's light snow, ice, or hoar frost in almost all the scenery (except in Hot Springs). Then when he hits lower elevations again maybe in southern North Carolina and Georgia the snow is gone.

HazBen and TowSack,

Great to hear you're still psyched and continue to prepare for your hike. We'll look forward to seeing you again next spring!

Laurie P.

Thanks for the kind words, Eveready. You said it right when you used the word "heart." This class of 2015 flip-floppers really has had both heart and soul. Happy hiking, and I hope you enjoy every inch of the Trail!

Journal Entries

Thanks Laurie,
    We're keeping up with and cheering for the 2015 flip Floppers.

HazBen and TowSack

I started hiking on the AT following the Flip-Flop Kickoff on May 3rd in Harper’s Ferry. I made it to Upper Goose Pond Cabin in MA when I had to get off the trail. That’s about a quarter of the AT. It’s not a thru hike, but I’m ok with it.

So I guess I’m a section hiker. In the spring, I would like to continue my hike of the AT either SOBO from Harper’s Ferry, or NOBO from MA. Can you suggest good starting dates for both places? I want to avoid very cold weather.

Thanks,

One Sock

A few of us have the same problem. But having to decide which section to hike, how much, and when is a luxury, not a trial! I'm learning to embrace my inner section hiker.

My current plan is to practice this Fall on my new feet, do a bunch of snowboarding this winter to keep my legs in shape, and re-attend the FFKO in the Spring. I'll do a couple of weeks south from there in May, take a short break, then dash up to Maine and finish the last of my northern leg (from Andover, ME~>Katahdin).

Maybe we'll have a chance to hike together.

[QUOTE=dangerdave;2006383
    My current plan is to practice this Fall on my new feet, do a bunch of snowboarding this winter to keep my legs in shape, and re-attend the FFKO in the Spring. I'll do a couple of weeks south from there in May, take a short break, then dash up to Maine and finish the last of my northern leg [/QUOTE]

I was at the FFKO and hiked south as the rest of you hiked north. The second day south of HF you hit "The Roller coaster" and it was a serious work out right off the bat. Once past that and into the SNP it eases up a bit, then gets serious again between Waynesboro and Daleville. I got off at Daleville and the trip took about 3 weeks. Must have passed 300+ NOBO's even that early in the season.

I'm considering going to the FFKO again next year and heading north, but do I really want to hike PA/NJ/NY a 3d time?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

"Those Flippin' Milanders" update - Made it to Damascus today, taking a zero tomorrow in Abingdon with uncle...might bike the creeper to get a little work-out in. Southern VA has been nice...much better water availability than central. Woods Hole hostel...good times. Looking forward to NC on Monday. Caught up to Rockfish Gap flipper family (summited Katahdin Aug 13) Beyonce, Frio & Sweet Roll...they are doing well and still heading south. Nights getting chilly...starting to add bits of insulation layers to pack weight & should have all cold weather gear back by the Smokies (2-3 weeks).

I tented next to Sweet Roll (if it's the same person) in the rain near Bald Pate Mountain, ME last July.
    You are little ahead of Spice Girl. Her blog says she's in Bland, VA.
    Keep on trekking! And the best of trail luck and magic to you all!

Sweet Roll is the young blonde with boucou tats & piercings...whole family is really nice. Glad to hear Spice decided to keep on...she'll probably catch us within the next month. Never did run in to Batona again, probably passed us when we took zeros at Catawba with family, but haven't seen her write in any registers.

Yes, that's the Sweet Roll I know. Nice family, indeed. Glad to hear they're still on the trail.
    Thanks for the updates!

Journal Entries

Hey 2015 flippers. I know many of us didn't get to finish our hikes....... Will any of you guys try again next year starting at HF, or will you begin where you got off this year? I really enjoyed our crowd, and would like to go again next year. EVEREADY
    eveready

Hey Eveready! Jimmyjam and myself are making long range plans to head south from HF after next Springs FFKO. I'll likely stay out for a couple of weeks (+). I still have about 200 miles of Maine to finish on the north end. If Virginia is kind to my feet, I'll knock Katahdin out next Summer. Since I'll NOT be rehiking the 909 miles I completed, I'm now a burgeoning section hike. Piecemeal rocks!!!

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
++ New Posts ++