WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast

Let's see. Get to HF around three, settle in, wander around and say hey to my fellow wanderers, throw out some invites, probably cook something on the grill at the House Friday evening. Let's say six or after. You will not be turned away if you show up early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Let's see. Get to HF around three, settle in, wander around and say hey to my fellow wanderers, throw out some invites, probably cook something on the grill at the House Friday evening. Let's say six or after. You will not be turned away if you show up early.

OK, bringing me, some tunage, and possibly a bottle of local vin. Thanks and cya then!

Are you gonna tuck me in at bed time??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WillPoe View Post
    2015 Harpers Ferry Flip-Flopper Dinner

I’m Will Poe and a 2015 Flip-Flopper. I live in Harpers Ferry and am an ATC volunteer. In consultation with DangerDave, we’ve agreed I attempt to coordinate a Saturday evening, pay-your-own-way dinner for the estimated 20 Flip-Floppers and family members (no one knows the exact number) within walking distance of the ATC Headquarters, Hostels, and Hotel.

As this is a first-ever event where transportation may be limited for many, and car-pooling may be difficult to arrange, I will have other dinner suggestions for smaller groups with transportation on the morning of Saturday, May 2
    nd. But for now, the choices within walking distance are (in no particular order):

The Anvil, http://anvilrestaurant.com/dinner.htm, is a traditional restaurant with meals from $10 - $28 and full bar service. The Canal House, http://www.canalhousecafe.com/menu, features locally sourced ingredients with daily specials from $9 - $24. At The Canal House you can bring in your own wine or beer (available close by) with a $5 corkage fee. Both have dinner service from 5-9pm.Reservations for a Saturday night are recommended, but can be made Saturday.

I do invite you to join me and my wife, Stephanie, and enjoy your favorite beverage at The Anvil at 6 pm.

In closing, I anticipate a Kick-Off Dinner becoming a staple of a Harpers Ferry Flip-Flop; I hope you’ll join in for this first-ever event.
    Will, my wife and I will be happy to join the group for dinner on Saturday night so please count us in. We are both FFs. Look forward to meeting you in HF!

I just finished my last chore, treating my pack, pants, socks and boots with Permethrin. Since it's only good for 2 weeks, I like to do that just before leaving. Have the Fridge cleaned out except for tonight's dinner. Got a hair cut. Toe nails are clipped. Final pack weigh-in with 4 days of food (but no water) = 20.5 pounds. Guess I'm good to go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That's perfect, TH. I love comparing my wines to other vintages. I've still got some things to arrange here, then is HF on Friday!

My final task. Installing Johnna's big at map so she can push-pin along with me! She loves her map!

Default Invitation to 2015 Flip-Floppers to Attend the Flip Flop Kick Off

Here is an email I just sent. Hopefully everyone on this thread who is starting their thru-hike this coming weekend and attending the Flip Flop Kick Off received the email, but I'm sharing here just in case you didn't. Please email me at [email protected] if you didn't receive my message.

Dear Class of 2015 Flip Flop Thru-Hikers,

You are receiving this message because you indicated you were starting your thru-hike around the time of the Flip Flop Kick Off in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Some of you registered your start date through ATC's Voluntary Thru-Hike Registration, and others of you posted your plans on WhiteBlaze.net.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Harpers Ferry-Bolivar Trail & Town Alliance have partnered to create the Flip Flop Kick Off event May 2-3 that is all about promoting alternative itineraries for thru-hikes and celebrating flip-flop thru-hikers!

Here is an agenda of event highlights during the Flip Flop Kick Off. The events in bold have been planned just for 2015 thru-hikers and do not appear on the website. Check out the website at appalachiantrail.org/flipflop for locations and more details on the public events.

Saturday, May 2

7-9:00 - Have your official thru-hiker photo taken (ATC HQ Visitor Center)*
    9:00 - Flip Flopper Meet and Greet, coffee and donuts with ATC's executive director Ron Tipton (ATC HQ Conference Room)
    10:00 - Flip-Flopping in 2014
    11:00 - The Advantages of an Alternative Thru-Hike
    12:00 - 1st Aid and Staying Healthy
    Noon - 2 p.m.: Cookout
    1:00 - Pack Shakedown
    2:00 - Flip Flop anthem
    2:30 - Flip Flop Panel
    3:30 - Flipping Out for 30 Days: Lessons Learned by 2015 flip-flopper “Treehugger”
    5:00 - Prize giveaways; chance to win raffle for first flip-flopper passport stamp.
    6:00 - Optional dinner at The Anvil Restaurant, as announced on WhiteBlaze here (post #718) and the Saturday morning meet and greet.

Leave No Trace - We encourage all flip-floppers to take part in the hands-on Leave No Trace fun activities being offered throughout the day. Be sure to attend one of the bear-bag hanging and cat-hole sessions and visit the Leave No Trace table.

*Photographs of Flip Flop Kick Off Thru-Hikers - We'd like to get your individual photos (bring your pack if you like) throughout the weekend for our official hiker photo album at the start of your hike. The best time to do this is early Saturday morning from 7-9am. If this doesn't work for you, stop by during the day Friday or Saturday, but allow at least 30 minutes. We can squeak in a few photos on Sunday morning. Photographs will be displayed on a corkboard inside ATC until they are added to the official photo album later on Sunday. Flip-floppers will get a second photo when you return to Harpers Ferry on the southern leg of your hike.

Sunday, May 3

7:30 - 8:30 Flip-Floppers Breakfast, public invited (Camp Hill Methodist Church) and sign the FFKO event banner.
    7:30 - 8:30 Last chance for photos (ATC Visitor Center)
    9:00 Speakers, Group Photo, and Thru-Hike Kick-Off (ATC Visitor Center)
    10:00 - Welcome and final send-off at "The Point" (confluence of Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers)

ATC is honored to be hosting you for this event! We are looking forward to providing an event that hopefully is both fun and instructive.

Looking forward to meeting you all this weekend.

By the way, Will Poe and Treehugger have been just phenomenal in helping plan this event. They've given us great suggestions, resources, and have done (and will be doing) a lot of work to help us pull this all together.

- Laurie

Default Wanna Slack Pack Your Start? FREE!

Tree Hugger and I are willing to pool resources to offer this Quick Start for this years Flip Floppers.

You'll place your pack in the appropriate vehicle Sunday morning shortly before 9 am.

For those spending the night at the Ed Garvey shelter, you'll pick up your pack at Weverton Road.

For those spending the night at the Crampton Gap shelter, Maple Tree Campground or further up the trail, you'll pick up you pack at Gathand State Park.

No need for a reservation, just talk with us at the Meet & Greet Saturday morning.

Best,
    Will

Images

WP and TH: This slack packing offer is the best news ever for me! I messed up my back last week romping with grandsons and am hoping that last minute chiropractic adjustments will keep the Flip Flopper Sunday start a possibility for me. Still locked up this morning but much better than yesterday. Not having to carry 25 pounds the first day might just save my hike!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Love the optimism, HB. You are a brave lady. The surreal is kicking in, here. Final pack prep today, and some final goodbyes with friends and family. Depart for HF in the morning. All those travelling or about to travel, be safe. We'll see you at the FFKO!

Oh, forgot to post Johnna's map picture.

IMG_1148.jpg

A favorite quote, from one of my favorite movies...

“I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.” ---Eliss Boyd “Red” Redding, The Shawshank Redemption

I will offer to pick folks up from the Marc Train Brunswick station at 3pm if you get to Union Station in time to get the Friday only 130 train. It only goes as far as Brunswick, MD. If you cant get that train take the 330pm train to HF. Arrival 5pm. Just let me know. PM me for my ph #.

TH,
    Any chance you could pickup Falconer and me arriving on the 1730 Amtrak?
    Charliehorse

1730, to be clear that is 530pm? Where will you need to be picked up from? The HF station is walking distance to most everything in town, albeit up hill walking for most of it. Let me know. I am sure I can help you out.

If it's close enough to walk, then just as well hoof it. Might as well get used to it...yep 1730 = 5:30 PM. C U tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Charliehorse View Post
    If it's close enough to walk, then just as well hoof it. Might as well get used to it...yep 1730 = 5:30 PM. C U tomorrow!
    Yup, it's a hilly town to be sure, but the ATC is just up the hill on Washington Street. Climb the steps up to Washington St across the street from the train station. Turn right and walk up, up and you will see the ATC HQ on the left. From there the Teahorse is just up the road a bit as is Danger's hang out pad. You can get your photos done at the ATC too!!
    PS: I am familiar with military time but wanted to make sure it wasn't a typo of 730! Cya soon!!
    Last edited by Treehugger; 04-30-2015 at 16:10.

Ouch, Humminbard! Take care of your back and we'll see you soon!

Images

WP and TH,

very nice of you to offer to slack pack us. I just may have to take you up on that.

Images

Just packed some food. It's heavy. About 5 pounds. Is this too much? Mountain House dinners, junk candy for snacks, oatmeal and dried fruit for breakfasts, and some disturbingly weighty Spam packages for lunches. I'm not even sure I like Spam. Have one more visit to the chiropractor in the morning, then will be on my way to Harpers Ferry.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've imagined you all!

Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++