WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Can you bring a small donkey on the AT? I mean a small donkey is just a large dog, and dogs are OK - right?

Charliehorse

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charliehorse View Post
    Can you bring a small donkey on the AT? I mean a small donkey is just a large dog, and dogs are OK - right?

Charliehorse
    A donkey would be useful. I was considering bringing one or two chickens, not sure if carrying the extra weight would be worth the eggs.
    Simple is good.

Charliehorse - My wife & I were watching the last installment of the Hobbit yesterday, and there is a scene where 4 dwarves jump on mountain goats and go hopping up a hill. We looked at each other, laughed and said at the same time "we need a few of those!" ;-)

Here is our first attempt at a gear-bomb...can y'all pick out the random jokes?
    packs.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    A donkey would be useful. I was considering bringing one or two chickens, not sure if carrying the extra weight would be worth the eggs.
    The funny thing is, you guys, I actually have 16 chickens AND a small burro named Buttercup. You're giving me some ideas.

Also, at this very moment I'm sitting in the Lodge at Amicalola Falls, ready to drive my son up to the start of the trail at Springer Mountain. We're socked in with fog, but it's forecast to clear this afternoon. I'm going to hike the mile to and from the famous marker with him, send him on his way north, and then drive myself south to Florida to pick up my mother (family taxi service ). I'll be home on April 10, so if y'all let me know where you are up in SNP between the 10th and 16th, I'd love to join you for a day hike!

kushtakaa,
    This is good...very good! However, you're carrying a very small knife though. Is that wise? On the other hand, I like the dumbbell; you could melt it down for some ball ammo, but then you'd need a flintlock and some powder. If you don't want to make some ammo, we could use if for ballast on the bear bag line. Personally, I'm thinking a claymore would be nice if we're harassed by bears or large gophers. Oh yeah, the pink stuff; at least you'll be easily identifiable, but I'd be careful wearing pink in the mountains of NC--just saying. Seriously, is anyone as organized as kushtakaa? By the way, kush, you're not one of those shape-shifters are you? If you are i'm ok with that

Charliehorse

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbard View Post
    The funny thing is, you guys, I actually have 16 chickens AND a small burro named Buttercup. You're giving me some ideas.

Also, at this very moment I'm sitting in the Lodge at Amicalola Falls, ready to drive my son up to the start of the trail at Springer Mountain. We're socked in with fog, but it's forecast to clear this afternoon. I'm going to hike the mile to and from the famous marker with him, send him on his way north, and then drive myself south to Florida to pick up my mother (family taxi service ). I'll be home on April 10, so if y'all let me know where you are up in SNP between the 10th and 16th, I'd love to join you for a day hike!
    I'll be on a shakedown near Thornton Gap on 9-11...part on the AT and rest on the side trails.

Charliehorse

Quote Originally Posted by kushtakaa View Post
    Here is our first attempt at a gear-bomb...
    Way too organized, Kush! Mix that stuff up! It's supposed to be a BOMB!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Actually, my Bomb is missing a few things. My summer bag is nearby, and my clothes are on their way back from InsectShield. My shoes aren't there either. They're on the floor. So, if my pile looks a little too small...it is.

Images

I wouldn't carry the dumbbell, you're setting yourself up for a trail name you may not want.
    Simple is good.

You guys HAVE to start hiking! Getting SO punchy, the lot of you!! Wanted to let you all know that I will be starting off this Saturday. My gear has exploded so many times with a few more to go this week! I can't stand that my pack weighs more than 30lbs. But I guess I will figure it out as I go. My hip isn't perfect but WTH, can't wait for the fountain of youth to show up so I can have a swim in it, ya know!? I had a super-fun kick off party last Saturday. Laurie came. Thanks Laurie!! You are one of my rocks!! And that's a good thing!! Thru hiker alumni, friends, family and strangers all made for a fun and touching time. I went thru my gear during the party so folks could see what I am carrying. They were riveted and I was appalled at all my crap!! HA! Anyway, it was great. BTW, when you guys are heading south out of HF make sure to stop at Bears Den (best hostel on the AT) and catch a ride into Purcellville. Get BBQ at Monks, beer at Old 690 Brewery, shop for groceries at Food Lion (nothing much for resupply until Front Royal), and get gear at Appalachian Outdoor Readiness and Essentials Outfitter. Basically Purcellville is trying to become a trail town so check it out!! There I did my part ! I will miss our little forum. It's been so much fun chatting with you knuckleheads. Humminbard, please PM me with your ph # so I can text you! It would be great to hook up in SNP! I will see all of you at the FFKO!! Words of encouragement are much appreciated at TJ, name treehugger2015. Good luck flippers and floppers!! You know which one you are!!

Charliehorse - the knife is an Esee Isuza with about a 3 inch blade...pretty sturdy for as light as it is. Should be able to cut twigs, cheese, summer sausage no prob. Wife will have a Leatherman Micra, so that we'll have a scissors, tweezers, etc as well at a light weight. I guess if we decide we need a bigger one down the trail we'll buy one. :-)

DangerDave - the organization is all my wife...I woulda just thrown it all on a pile, smiled and clicked the pic. She did this as a powerpoint for her family & friends so that they would stop asking so many questions. ;-)

Carbo - The dumbell (although my joke to throw it in my wife's organized pic) belongs to my wife...and she DOES need a trail name. ;-)

I'm surprised no one noticed Mr. Burns in the middle (excellent)...no Simpson's fans here? I'm pretty sure Mr. Burns & the dumbell will be left @ home!

Treehugger - thanks much for the Purcellville info! After looking into that, it has actually changed our whole logistics for our first few weeks. ;-)

"Super-fun kick off party"? I have always been amazed at the level of some people's social skills. Perhaps it's all my years working for the public. Still a work in progress, I guess. I know my "peeps" quite well. There won't be a big throw-down for me, and I wouldn't know what to do with it if there was! I applaud you, Treehugger!

Being an AT hiker from Ohio sure is lonely. My oldest step-son (33yo) said, "You're hikin' an ay tee? What's an ay tee?" I can't imagine being constantly surrounded by people who eat, breath, and sleep hiking. What a great support group!

Just did my trail-cut (self-done...plenty of divots on the head ). Shaved off 3 years of hippy-string. Now you'll know me...I'm the goofy guy with a buzz wearing 5-fingers. :-)after.JPGbefore.JPG

btw...the sandals I'm wearing just came in (camp shoes...really light). I might actually hike some in them, but then I'm crazy...gonna hike mostly in 5-fingers anyway. The sandals come from BedrockSandals...rockin'!

DangerDave - you should try being a hiker from Iowa...you "got it good". ;-)

+1 for the Iowa hiker! Not to be creepy, but I've been eaves-dropping throughout the entirety of this thread. My girlfriend and decided on flipping from HF for our 2016 hike and will soak up any drop of info you all care to share on your hike this year. Does anyone plan on doing a blog or online journal?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Team Pancho View Post
    +1 for the Iowa hiker! Not to be creepy, but I've been eaves-dropping throughout the entirety of this thread. My girlfriend and decided on flipping from HF for our 2016 hike and will soak up any drop of info you all care to share on your hike this year. Does anyone plan on doing a blog or online journal?
    I'm starting my flip flop on April 20. A link to my journal is in my signature below. You can follow along if you wish.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Team Poncho (btw...wife & I just bought "Packa's"...a "better poncho ") - Soak away! :-) This is the best place to "soak"!

We are hoping to do a blog. Problem with advertising a blog...if you only make it a few months...meh.

We are hoping to go all the way, but are totally open to the fact that only about 20% of "hopefuls" actually "make it".

Thus...we are only sending out links to our "wanna-be-blog" to family & friends. It will (mostly) just have photos & writings about crazy happenings...we will not be "mile-by-mile" documenting anything. If you still are interested...PM me and I'll send you the URL.

lols....just realized that your name is Team Pancho (not poncho).

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++