WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Getting really close to my shack down. Did a long 13 mile hike yesterday. All flat, no pack, on a paved bike trail. Pretty tired after that. Need a few more stuff sacks then I'll do a shake down tomorrow on the same path, same miles. There's a picnic table at the half way point so I'll also test out my stove on some Mac and cheese and foil wrapped spam.

42 flippers? That like a double decker bus load.

Default Flip Flop Kick Off Numbers

Unless there's a rash of last-minute decisions to join the Flip Flop Kick Off and hike north, which I don't think there will be, we don't have any worries about too many people.

In the "starting a thru-hike northbound from Harpers Ferry" category we have 72 registered overall (through the voluntary thru-hiker registration), but that's over the course of the entire season.

So far, 19 of those have registered their "arrival date" in Harpers Ferry sometime between May 1 and May 3. (The language is confusing. We meant "when are you starting your thru-hike" but it reads more like, "when are you arriving in Harpers Ferry.") Some of these will attend the Flip Flop Kick Off, some will not.

Of those, only 6 wrote in the comments that they would be attending the Kick Off. Others have emailed me separately saying they would be attending; some I've seen on social media or elsewhere that they have altered their plans.

Anyway, I will work on tightening up the numbers over the next week or so, but I don't think we have to worry about hordes. We might have 6, 12, maybe more if there's a last-minute surge. The first night out, most will be staying at Ed Garvey Shelter or campsites, but our thru-hikers will be dispersed over three overnight sites, and some may go to the commercial Maple Tree Campground near Crampton Gap or back to Harpers Ferry.

Here's the latest chart of registered thru-hikers starting in Harpers Ferry northbound (although a few didn't read the category right and are actually going southbound from Harpers Ferry).

You can view this chart on-line at www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration. All the thru-hiker graphs should be updated by about noon tomorrow. We've been updating it weekly, but after tomorrow, will update them only every 3-4 weeks.

I'll continue to keep everyone posted!

Laurie P.

Thanks Laurie!

Is anyone leaving later in May/early June? I'm waiting for my knee to heal up all the way before starting again
    "I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but please, don't ask me who I am." - Sylvia Plath

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Unless there's a rash of last-minute decisions to join the Flip Flop Kick Off and hike north, which I don't think there will be, we don't have any worries about too many people.

In the "starting a thru-hike northbound from Harpers Ferry" category we have 72 registered overall (through the voluntary thru-hiker registration), but that's over the course of the entire season.

So far, 19 of those have registered their "arrival date" in Harpers Ferry sometime between May 1 and May 3. (The language is confusing. We meant "when are you starting your thru-hike" but it reads more like, "when are you arriving in Harpers Ferry.") Some of these will attend the Flip Flop Kick Off, some will not.

Of those, only 6 wrote in the comments that they would be attending the Kick Off. Others have emailed me separately saying they would be attending; some I've seen on social media or elsewhere that they have altered their plans.

Anyway, I will work on tightening up the numbers over the next week or so, but I don't think we have to worry about hordes. We might have 6, 12, maybe more if there's a last-minute surge. The first night out, most will be staying at Ed Garvey Shelter or campsites, but our thru-hikers will be dispersed over three overnight sites, and some may go to the commercial Maple Tree Campground near Crampton Gap or back to Harpers Ferry.

Here's the latest chart of registered thru-hikers starting in Harpers Ferry northbound (although a few didn't read the category right and are actually going southbound from Harpers Ferry).

You can view this chart on-line at www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration. All the thru-hiker graphs should be updated by about noon tomorrow. We've been updating it weekly, but after tomorrow, will update them only every 3-4 weeks.

I'll continue to keep everyone posted!

Laurie P.
    I official registered so make that 20 people. I plan to hike out the morning of May 3rd.

Images

Laurie: I haven't registered because I don't know whether or not I'll be able to complete the whole trail in 2015, but please count me in for the HFKO, also hiking out of HF May 3. And thanks so much for all you've done to pull everything together!

Dangerdave. Another Ohio hiker. Hubby and I are leaving for Virginia in 7 days. Still deciding on clothing as well...

Laurie
    I can't recall if i told you but Hooligan and I will be at the FFKO; starting little further South but hopefully in HF on 1 May at the Teahostel. BTW I attended a small vet reunion in Dahlonega this last weekend and took the opportunity to visit Springer. Drove up the FS road to the Parking lot where I was reprimanded for parking on top of the AT by one of the GATC folk. Be warned! Also met a young guy named "Breeze"; he said he was packing 53 lbs...didn't know what to say 'cept "Good luck"...guess we'll see.

Charliehorse

Doing a flip flop. Does anyone know of a shuttle service in Harpers Ferry, Thanks

Thanks for the update Laurie.
    Comments on cold for Hummingbird: I passed thru HFWV March 25 and nighted before at David Lesser Shelter where freezing rain came at 4 am and at first light skated to the privy on solid ice. Waited until 10 am to start trekking, still slick but once down from elevation quickly melted. I use all synthetic, bag, vest, jacket, beanie, etc. and started with 5 layers that morning, ending in HF at 3 pm w/ 2 layers. For May, it's cool at altitudes, and damp/wet almost every day esp with early summer rain showers later almost every day. Wetness is almost constant on the AT, esp in am and evening showers.
    The smartwool long johns, esp bottoms are the way to go in early season, even sleep in them. Use windbreaker/rain top for outside layer. As warmer arrives, will go lighter in layers and ability to quickly dry out.
    Here is the kicker: on the Mar 23d fell to my left just off the Trail and chest hit a protruding rock, not painful but hard hit. Continued hiking but after HF ATC photo and night at Teahorse Hostel, continued NoBo, but the pain increased after 4 days so I trained back to Wash DC & Vienna VA to ER and confirmed a sternum fracture, broken but not displaced, so 4 - 6 weeks recovery w/o pack per the doctors x-rays.
    Rats! So I'll restart o/a May 1 or sooner sternum permitting, and may just make the FF KickOff on May 3-4 if timing works out. Started the AT in SNP with day hikes in Jan thru early Mar, then big snows here, so got back on mid Mar NoBo. Laurie convinced me to Flip NoBo to avoid bubble, and be able to quickly get off trail May 16 for Daughters grad from Univ Illinois, then back to AT.
    Good luck to all FF2015ers! See you on the trail!
    GrayGhost, Vienna VA

Quote Originally Posted by Walkindadog View Post
    Doing a flip flop. Does anyone know of a shuttle service in Harpers Ferry, Thanks
    There are AT shuttle biz cards posted on the Hiker Room of ATC Hq, call and get KatyDid or Judy/Laurie to give u name, there were several. I have know some to use local cab companies but can't vouch for them. Check web: Applachian Trail Readiness, others. They are also listed in the Companion Guide, and Miller's AT AWOL guide (book & pdf). Good luck, GrayGhost

Quote Originally Posted by Walkindadog View Post
    Also - if you stay at the TeaHorse Hostel the owner, Lauren, can provide shuttles - though there may be a charge.

Images

GrayGhost: You are the essence of persistence! Sorry to hear about the fractured sternum, but maybe it's the Universe telling you that you're meant to be around as guide and inspiration to some of us less experienced hikers among the group leaving from the HFKO. Thanks already for the reminder about how wet (and still kinda cold) it can get out there. I definitely have to make some adjustments to my gear. It's also good to hear that it's not too difficult to come and go from the trail as we move NOBO. Guess it might be a good idea to keep a list of shuttle drivers and rental car agency numbers.

Congratulations on daughter's graduation!

Hi guys! Been following this thread for a while. I am FINALLY getting to do my thru hike this year and was despairing the hiker bubble for NOBOs. I live in Georgia and have experienced hiking in that bubble several times. It's just not for me. After reading your posts, I shifted gears and rearranged plans. I am very excited to be able to say that I will be joining the flip-flop group this year. I have my travel arrangements made and will be starting from Buena Vista, VA on Sunday, April 12. I hope to be in Harpers Ferry for the kick-off events. I am looking forward to meeting everyone there!

Welcome! But I am frankly a little surprised at your decision given where you live and all... Is it really that 'interesting' down there?

3 miles into my shake down. I feel good. My pack weighs in at 37 pounds with 1.5 liters of water, and 6 days of food. Not bad.

First time with poles. Its an adjustment. Hard to think what I'd take out. Some of the warm clothes will do eventually. Do I need three sets of socks?

Only thing was my water proof phone cover kind of makes it not if in my hip belt side poach. Besides that.

Is a bear canister necessary? I just read that in some of the parks out west, they are mandatory.

Images

Welcome Hiker Faith! If you hike fast, you might catch up with Treehugger before you both reach Harper's Ferry. I guess the benefit of the flip-flop for you is that when you finish, you'll be home! Good idea. Maybe I should flip down to Georgia and hike back north to Virginia. Hmmmm....

Hiker Faith, I'm not too far from you. I agree, though. I really don't like the big crowds that impact the trail this time of the year. Hope you make it to HF. Look forward to meeting you there!

GrayGhost, shucks. I was hoping to start May 3 with lighter clothes. I'm reassessing.

On another note, I treated some clothes and my pack with permethrin (sp?) yesterday. Ticks are out!

Default Resupply and shuttle list

Hey guys, I don't think folks have talked too much about resupply, but I encourage you to take advantage of resupply when you can, especially in the beginning. This can really help you reduce your pack weight. Even two pounds (1 day of food) can make a difference. You can feel it on your back and on your feet.

Everyone's different, but most hikers don't have a huge appetite just starting out. Although it's possible to have a cold snap where it gets down into the 30s (rare), the chance of snow or ice is almost nil. Road crossings and side trails are frequent, so it's not like you would be stranded in deep wilderness if you ran low on food. You should have a little extra margin, but not the margin of food that you would need, say, in the Smokies in February. I have found that 1 1/2 pounds per day is enough for me doing 10-ish miles a day on section-hikes; bigger guys or those with high metabolism might need more. Later on you might require more.

The towns of Blue Ridge Summit/Waynesboro, PA are just a short distance north of the Maryland line, and has resupply. It's a few miles off the Trail. If you look at your guidebooks, you may also see places of lodging in the Cascade, Maryland/Waynesboro, PA area that may pick you up at the Trail, slackpack, or shuttle.

By the way, ATC's shuttle list can be found at www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation.

Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++