WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

We don't have enough data to really know what the success rate is of flip-floppers, and they are very hard to track.

Up until 2015, the vast majority of flip-floppers were those who were originally north bounders starting in March and April. For some reason or another, they found themselves running out of time, and flipped either because they had to, or didn't want the time pressure of racing the clock to get to Katahdin in time.

Last year we had an intern who worked at ATC in the fall. She started a northbound thru-hike, but flipped from Harpers Ferry because she was getting bored in Virginia and wanted a change of scenery and some drama back in her hike. It worked! Her hike was successful because she split it into two separate pieces.

That's not to say that some might not lose momentum by splitting up their hikes--I've certainly heard of that happening.

To me the hardest part of my northbound thru-hike psychologically was hiking through the mid-Atlantic in summer. The heat and the humidity were oppressive (so much so that it was hard to even sleep), the views were hazy and washed out, the trail seemed developed and just not all that special. I asked myself why I was even bothering hiking, and what was so special about thru-hiking anyway. (Since then, I've hiked the mid-Atlantic in spring and fall, and it can be quite lovely).

Last night I was talking with a friend who's hiked the A.T. almost 5 times and has spent thousands of hours on ATC trail crews. He said if he did another thru-hike, it would be a flip-flop variation that would avoid the heat and humidity of the mid-Atlantic in summer and minimize exposure to Lyme disease.

Thanks for the info Laurie...I look forward to meeting you @ HF!

Kushtakaa, I look forward to meeting you, and everyone else!

By the way, this year we will be able to have much better starting numbers on flip-flop thru-hikers, due to the voluntary registration system. Word from Georgia is roughly half of those coming through have registered, and I suspect the percentage may be higher as the season progresses. I'm going to bet that flip-floppers have the highest rate of registration--although we may never know, especially for those who don't start in Harpers Ferry.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some of the reasoning for my post is I have also met, got to know or hiked with quite a few thru-hikers who for some reason or another skipped a large portion of the trail. Their intention was to "go back and finish" the skipped parts. So many of these yellow blazers never go back and complete the parts they skipped. Most all claim to have thru-hiked.
    Grampie-N->2001

Gear list!
    How has your gear list changed with your decision to start May 1 from an earlier time?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Gear list!
    How has your gear list changed with your decision to start May 1 from an earlier time?
    The wind only has to blow and I rethink something in my pack. I have changed a couple things because of my decision to FF. For instance, I was going to bring some sort of ice cleats but now I am not. However, because I am starting in early April south of the SNP I am still going to take some winter stuff then trade those out once I reach May 1. I will keep my puffy jacket the whole time but may dump my fleece until VT, rain jacket and pants too. I will have an umbrella and a water resistant wind shirt instead. I will trade out my warmer bag for a lighter quilt and maybe grab my silk liner for the really warm nights. I may trade out my lightweight fleece (sleeping) long longs for lighter weight merino base layers too. I may also add my mosquito net pants along with the head net at that time too. Obviously I am saying "may" because of my lack of experience in knowing exactly what I will want to keep or dump. Once I figure things out, heck I may have completely different ideas.

We appear to have a tightly grouped FF contingent. Grampie's observations are notable; they've crossed my mind in the last few weeks. There will be a psychological hurdle for some (me as well) to overcome once Katahdin is conquered, but i believe Laurie's reasoning really trumped any concerns i had. I just seems like the "right thing to do" from many perspectives not the least of which is impact on the trail itself. For me it was the promise of avoiding the heat and the crowds. Just be grateful the AT doesn't traverse the Low Country of South Carolina in August. But perhaps we should be planning a SOBO send off from HF around 1 September? The thought of sticking it out on the SOBO becomes more appealing with a promise of group support, or maybe i'm just unable to curb my enthusiasm.

I do have a concern that I don't think has bubbled, and perhaps now is a good time to address it. What of the trail support community? Aren't they typically timed to accommodate the NOBO bubble that started 1 March through mid-April from Springer?

I look forward to seeing you all in HF on May 1st.

Charliehorse

I've been 'stalking' this thread since the beginning! I even contacted one of you...she may reveal herself...about joining her as my husband prefers I have a companion. However, after discussing this thread and showing him the camaraderie that seems to have developed, he has agreed to not worry...as much..about me heading out. So....I'll be joining you all at HF for the FFKO! He will be driving me up because he wants to see me off. Whoa! Can't tell you ho excited I am. I'll be adjusting my clothing, etc. as well. Zippitydooah:-)

Laurie:
    I'll be registering on the ATC site, but FYI:
    Name: Reggie
    Arrival HF: 5/1..attend FFKO..
    Leave for Trail: 5/3
    1st Shelter probably Ed Garvey, but prefer to tent

DangerDave: Looking forward to meeting you and Irish Jo and enjoying that glass (or two) of wine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    I've been 'stalking' this thread since the beginning! I even contacted one of you...she may reveal herself...about joining her as my husband prefers I have a companion. However, after discussing this thread and showing him the camaraderie that seems to have developed, he has agreed to not worry...as much..about me heading out. So....I'll be joining you all at HF for the FFKO! He will be driving me up because he wants to see me off. Whoa! Can't tell you ho excited I am. I'll be adjusting my clothing, etc. as well. Zippitydooah:-)

Laurie:

DangerDave: Looking forward to meeting you and Irish Jo and enjoying that glass (or two) of wine!
    Welcome Ladyofthewoods! Looking forward to meeting you and I know you won't regret this decision! See you on the Flip side! Get it, Flip side!?

Images

Ladyofthewoods, looking forward to meeting you at the FFKO! No doubt we'll all drift apart on the trail after we settle into individual paces, but those first days of camaraderie will be a great way to begin the adventure! For me it's reassuring to connect at the start and know that I'll be bracketed by trail buddies and a friendly support system even when hiking alone much of the time. And the really cool thing is that, because some of us are doing pieces at different times throughout the "flip," we could run into each other more than once on this wild and wonderful journey!

Ha..Treehugger...I get it;-)
    Btw..my trail name is not Ladyofthewoods! I'm not even going to state it here. Hoping for a new one I'll get along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Dwill1000 View Post
    Well I made the commitment, Flip Floppers! I have a reservation at the TeaHorse Hostel for May 1 & 2. I have spent real money, so it looks like I'll be there at the kick off and will hit the trail with the FF group on Sunday.

I will arrive in town on the Amtrak train from Chicago - gets in at 11:35 AM Friday (after sitting up in an uncomfortable train seat all night). Would like to hear from others coming in on Friday and also folks staying at the TeaHorse.

I wonder how big this FF group will be. Does anybody have a count?

Dave
    Roger that Jammer; I too have crossed the Rubicon. Real money has changed hands with the Teahostel...see ya there on the 1st.

Charliehorse

OK, I have got to get a life but I thought you all would like this little tidbit of info about your upcoming Flip Floppin Hike!! Your approximate halfway point is in the 100 Mile Wilderness at Logan Brook Lean To. An inauspicious little shack that will have you all singing like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnFMQ2NAgyk
    HAHAHA!!
    I wanna see your videos!! Or at least journal entries when you get there!! Ohh Livin' On a Prayer!!! Take my hand and we'll make it I swear...

Images

That video by Amplexus is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post

Laurie:

You are more than welcome, Reggie. Saying I am looking forward to it falls short of my actual enthusiasm. You are going to love Jo! She is awesome!

And I agree with the sentiments above. Having that sense of comradery from the start will be very beneficial down the trail. I have had this strange feeling all along that the Class of 2015 would be well remembered in the AT community. Now I know why!

As for me, my gear sits waiting. My beard is getting crazy. I'm ready to begin. Now, if I can just get the rest of the world to comply.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

I am afraid - unfortunately - as time has gotten a little closer, so have I slipped into a last-minute, gear acquisition frenzy.......right now, I am lusting after a Ti pot - just to get that last .8 ounces.......

Humminbard...yes, the sense of community is what will be nice. Not a daily companion;-)

Gear is ready. Just trying to decide about clothing and weather considerations.

Gear/Schmear :-) I've got good gear. It will be good enough...or...we will get other as we are going.

I worked at a small outfitter for about 10 years (east of the SNP), and I'll tell you this: I will not be talking gear seriously with anyone on the trail (unless they REALLY look like they need the advise). I try not to do it online either. Seriously...there is sooooo much cool gear out there. Some of it (depending on who you are) will add to your hiking experience....most...once you've used & abused it, will not. Yes, a few ounces can make one happy. But gear is sooo relative (depending so much on purchase power, need, want, etc) that in the end (unless once is weighted down with waaaay too much weight) the subtle & light differences really don't matter. It is fun to talk gear...I wouldn't have lasted 10 years @ that outdoor shop if I hadn't enjoyed it...and I'm sure I'll wax sentimental with some of you in the future about certain things we've carried.

Ok...i got that out. But seriously, the act of getting on the trail and experiencing it is so much more important. When I was on the trail (did about 1/3 in about '91 or '92...would have to go back through life to remember which year ), I started out (not knowing sheit) about 70 lb's in my my Lowe Alpine (can't remember pack name...was big & blue). I had gotten the ride from Atlanta with the guy that lives in the small community close to the trail-head...was taking an old, beater classical guitar with me as well. Got dropped off and game the guy the guitar for the local school...glad I did, because 70 lb's is tough...even for a young ex-crosscountry runner. Anyway...got to Neels & shipped home 15-20 lbs...but still, my 7 day weight was a good 50lbs. I was young & dumb and remember doing 2 x 25 milers to get in to Damascas with that weight.

Gear is sooo much more refined now than it was in the early '90's. Even though I've been out of the retail/outdoor industry for about 10 years now...i've still kept up. Bah...don't know where I was going with this. lol

I guess I'm just saying that if you see a hiker in vibram 5-fingers that is hiking with his wife....if you want to talk gear, don't be put out if the crazy guy veers your conversation to something else. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Should be quite the funky family with this Class of 2015.
    Add me to the Funky Flip Flopper Family. Likely heading out late May from Harper's Ferry. Hopefully I will catch up to you guys eventually!

Here's a question for you more experienced hikers-- many Flip Floppers either start at Springer, head to HF, then flip to Katahdin and hike back south to HF, or start at HF, head N to Katahdin, then flip back to HF and hike south to Springer, but I haven't heard of many people doing the following-- what are the advantages/disadvantages of starting at HF in May, hiking N to Katahdin, then flipping to Springer and ending in HF? So basically doing a nobo, but the second half first.

Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++