WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Sorry to hear it, Danger, but good luck! You have been a good friend, hope to run (or hobble) into you again!

As for me and my unflappable left knee, the latest is: torn meniscus; meniscus separated from bone; torn cartilage; cartilage fragments floating around in knee joint; Large Baker's Cyst, ruptured and leaking into calf cavity; Inflamed Tibia (where the cartilage was torn off). Very painful, surgery scheduled and Ortho guys says 12 weeks recovery.

Guess it's time to resurrect my Rock'n'Roll career....bummer.

Good luck to all.

Piston

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    Sorry to hear it, Danger, but good luck! You have been a good friend, hope to run (or hobble) into you again!

As for me and my unflappable left knee, the latest is: torn meniscus; meniscus separated from bone; torn cartilage; cartilage fragments floating around in knee joint; Large Baker's Cyst, ruptured and leaking into calf cavity; Inflamed Tibia (where the cartilage was torn off). Very painful, surgery scheduled and Ortho guys says 12 weeks recovery.

Guess it's time to resurrect my Rock'n'Roll career....bummer.

Good luck to all.

Piston
    Bummer, sorry to hear this. Are all those injuries from over use or did you injure yourself in a fall or some other form of accident ??
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Bummer, sorry to hear this. Are all those injuries from over use or did you injure yourself in a fall or some other form of accident ??
    Combination I guess. I'm pretty active - former marathoner, road and cross-country cyclist, golfer (9.2 index), sea kayaking instructor (ocean). All those activities stress your knees pretty thoroughly. Throw in a dose of adolescent expectations, and a smattering of denial, and ....

It happened now, but it's been coming for awhile.

Flippin ' Milanders update...made it to Nauman camp (Mitzpah) last eve to find t-storms expected on Washington for the next 2 days. Bailed down to Crawford and will take our zero a few days early in Gorham...hoping for better weather to summit and continue north on Tuesday. Onward!

Sorry to hear about the feet, Danger...I've got a few numb toes as well. Keep the head up...900 miles is nothing to sneeze at!

Wow 900+ miles. Danger, now you're a LASHer (Long Ass Section Hiker).
    Trillium

Fellow Flip-Floppers,
    What a ride it has been! I too am off the trail. On July 1, I had to get off in Great Barrington, MA. I'm at home now recovering from last week's surgery.

To my fellow Flip-Floppers who had to get off trail, I know the disappointment that comes with it. I also know that we can all be proud of what we have accomplished. Many only dream of what we have done. My slow hiking style put me in the rear of the FF pack. But, I had a chance to meet many of you during overlaps at shelters and trail breaks. I believe that this group is indeed special. You all demonstrated a bond of like-minded, thoughtful, and caring hikers. I always had a thrill to come upon register entries from Tree, Faith, Scout, Time, Buck, Fuzz, Brad, Baby Girl, Carbo, and Danger.
    I will be figuring out my next steps and making plans to continue this journey. It's too soon to get into detailed planning. But, I do know that I will complete the AT. (A great thing about being retired, is that I have time to recover from this little setback) I was having way too much fun! And, I think I'm the only hiker that did not see a bear over my 500 miles. A southbound section in the fall is my plan right now. Perhaps I will see some of you on the trail then.

For those who are recovering or taking care of family, I wish you a healthy and speedy recovery.

Laurie, Thanks again for all your support and encouragement. You are a big part of why this Flip Flop Class is so special.

-Tejas

PS: Here's my trail journal:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trave...79290288793997

Oh Tejas! This is a surprise! Yer slow hiking style wasn't as slow as mine but it was always so nice to see you. You give off a calm, natural demeanor that was a comfort to me. I will see you on the Sobo stretch of our flip. I hope your in jury wasn't too serious. Keep smiling and thanks for the kind words.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tejas and Brancher,

I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries that are taking you home. I will really miss your photos, Tejas and your eager smile that shone out from them. But I absolutely loved what you wrote on your Facebook page, "If I experience it more richly in sections at a time, then all the better."

Faith,

It must be hard to be going strong and still let go of your thru-hike, but nothing is more important than family. I admire you for that choice.

All of you have made a positive impact by having the courage to do something different that is good and necessary for the future of the Appalachian Trail. If you've been reading any of the recent discussion regarding Baxter, you know that problems with overcrowding by traditional northbound thru-hikers are issues at both ends of the Trail. You've helped launch a new movement.

I look forward to seeing all of you in Harpers Ferry the next time you are passing through, whether later this summer, driving through on a north-south road trip, or the next time you are doing a section. Let me know if I can help with any hike planning of any kind!

Laurie P.

Flippin' Milanders update...@ Pine Ellis Hostel (recommended), going to slack a few days here in the Andover area to recover from the brutality (vanquished) of the Whites & Mahoosics. Had our first handful(s) of wild blueberries up high (still greenish lower) almost as soon as we entered Maine. Have already seen 3 Spruce Grouse...2 hens with chicks (don't do the injured dance and are darker than the "Ruffled" version mostly seen south). Also saw a Pine Martin today up high on Bald Pate (still no Moose or Porki-pines :-(). Hit 1000 miles (& entered Maine) on my B'day 2 days back...wanted to do the Mahoosic Notch that day as well to make it a trifecta, but the Mahoosics have turned out to be pretty much as hard as their White sister to the south. Don't be decieved, miles for the first 50 (or so) miles of Maine will NOT allow many more miles. I've heard that once one gets north of the Bigelows, miles can once again increase. Looking now at an (around) August 17th summit of Katadyn and back to Swift Run Gap in the Shenandoah Park to head south within the week. Truthfully...looking forward to nice striding trails again! :-)

To any of you behind...hang in there & keep on!

For anyone that has met him...Slapshot (started HF around April 10 going south) made it to Springer, summited Katadyn and is now heading south in the high whites.

Hike on peeps!

Steve...of Those Flippin' Milanders

Images

update from the back of the pack: Humminbard, Bad Brad, Baby Girl, and Biskit are heading gingerly into the Whites tomorrow, going SOBO from Franconia Notch to Kinsman with an overnight at Eliza Brook. Only Baby Girl is at full-strength, and yesterday was Biskit's first day back after a long wait for stress fracture pain to subside. Bad Brad also is nursing a barely healed stress fracture, and Humminbard is just old and broken down with aching knees and feet! The absence of road crossings now means it's time to strap on the full heavy packs again and seek shelter in the forest overnight. Hoping for clear skies and the strength to keep on keeping on until another opportunity for slackpack arises. Passing lots of SOBOS now. Looking forward to our first extended time above tree line, and how perfect that we'll be doing it in the light of the full BLUE MOON!

Good luck guys! Just got new braces for my knees and after being treated by PT and my brother I think I will be ready to follow in your footsteps in about two weeks. Here's hoping everyone's health and spirits keep them going as long as it takes! Miss you all!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438316817.862507.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1438316851.066031.jpg
    I'm glad to say that I'm back home after my summit on Saturday, 25 July with Mellon, who came up to summit with me. I'm proud that she was able to make up and back down the mountain. If I go SOBO it will not be until September sometime. Good luck to everyone.

Wow! Congrats Sling Shot! You are an inspiration!

Congratulations and good luck to all you guys, wherever you are! As we approach August, I'm excited at the prospect of seeing some of you back in Harpers Ferry next month and beyond.

As of July 22, the Kennebec Ferry Operator reported a count of 17 Flip Flop Thru hikers headed North.

The article on the Flip Flip Kick Off (with photos) will be coming out in the summer issue of A.T. Journeys, which will be published sometime in August.

Laurie P.

What a tough bunch! I'm still nursing my plantar fasciitis. Heading to the podiatrist Tuesday for some proper orthotics. Should have done that before I left, but who knew? I never tried to hike 2000 miles before. Some are saying it may take months for my lame feet to heal. In that case, my thru-hike will become an annual section hike. I'm still watching you all! And I am very proud!
    Danger out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Heading back to the trail this Monday. No schedule and not sure how long except that I will be back home for my daughter's wedding in September. Will be picking it up from NJ and heading north. It's been great reading all your entries here and I hope our paths cross again!
    Simple is good.

Good luck, Carbo. Have fun!

Journal Entries

Yea good luck treehugger, sorry about your feet........
    eveready

Journal Entries

And your head injury!!!!
    eveready

"Those Flippin' Milanders" Update - In Monson @ Lakeside for a zero before the final northern push to the great mountain. LS & Shaws both rock...if you stay here, you can still go over to Shaws for their killer breakfast. Bigelows were beautiful & not terribly difficult. Have been hearing horror stories about rugged Maine from sobo's since Hanover, but after the Mahusics things really get easier. True, there are plenty of roots & rock...and for a day or so after a big rain things can get sloppy, but I think most of the angst comes from sobo's encountering those conditions during their first weeks. Flipper legs can handle it. We just pulled our first 20+ miler in to Monson...looking forward to flying through Virginia! :-)

Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++