WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    Me too Steelcut. Where roughly are u starting out?
    I'm starting Apr 20 from Harpers Ferry
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Registered User BrandtCantWatch's Avatar

Just made it offical. I bought my train ticket to harpers ferry. I'll be on the trail and staying at the ed gravey shelter on april 27th. Good luck ffers. I plan to be with you for as long as my money can last.
    "Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man"

Default Flip Flop Kick Off update

Our planning for the Flip Flop Kick Off weekend is gearing up. The town of Harpers Ferry just hired a part-time event planner who will be working on involving the local community.

We're talking with the lead musician, Todd Coyle, who is lining up acts for Saturday afternoon. We tentatively have the Maryland ridgerunner lined up to participate, a local outfitter, and plan on doing gear shakedowns. We'll incorporate Leave No Trace education, including a session on how to bear-bag.

We will be working on getting some raffle items/giveaways. So far the following items have been donated:

12 - 2015 A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companions
    12 - 2015 A.T. Guides - northbound
    12 - 2015 A.T. Guides - southbound
    Last edited by Lauriep; 03-21-2015 at 18:34. Reason: typos

I start the 24th

Thom

I'm struggling with weight loss right now. Not wait loss on the trail, but weight loss following retirement. When I retired in January, I weighed 208 lbs. Now I'm down to 195. It didn't help that since I've retired, I've had the flu (in spite of the shot), food poisoning (I'm never eating there again!), and a chest cold. And I hardly ever get sick! Or I used to...string of ill luck, I guess. At six feet tall with an athletic build, I've never been "overweight". But I am actually more active since I've retired, become stress-free, and started growing a righteous beard. The last guy I read about who weighed 200 lbs when he started ended at 160! I'm going to turn into a shambling zombie!

I've got to get that weight back! So my thoughtful wife is on a project fatten me up a bit. All I know is that I can't lose any more weight before we start. Is anyone else trying to put a few pounds on now to lose later?
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    I'm struggling with weight loss right now. Not wait loss on the trail, but weight loss following retirement. When I retired in January, I weighed 208 lbs. Now I'm down to 195. It didn't help that since I've retired, I've had the flu (in spite of the shot), food poisoning (I'm never eating there again!), and a chest cold. And I hardly ever get sick! Or I used to...string of ill luck, I guess. At six feet tall with an athletic build, I've never been "overweight". But I am actually more active since I've retired, become stress-free, and started growing a righteous beard. The last guy I read about who weighed 200 lbs when he started ended at 160! I'm going to turn into a shambling zombie!

I've got to get that weight back! So my thoughtful wife is on a project fatten me up a bit. All I know is that I can't lose any more weight before we start. Is anyone else trying to put a few pounds on now to lose later?
    I was at 6' and 212 at retirement, now fluctuate between 183 and 190 or so. Feel much better, more fit, heart/lung machine is better, BP is lower, etc, etc.

Images

I am 6 ft and 177 trying to lose 7 lbs. But I am a small frame athletic lanky type.

[QUOTE=dangerdave;1957033]... since I've retired, become stress-free, and started growing a righteous beard. The last guy I read about who weighed 200 lbs when he started ended at 160! I'm going to turn into a shambling zombie!..../QUOTE]

Not gonna grow a beard, though -- too much weight to carry!

Images

Two days ago I ruptured a tendon in my bicep. Family doc says it will likely take surgery to repair and it may take a couple months to get back to normal. Will be seeing the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to know for sure. Anyway, I guess I will not be starting the trail as planned. I hope to still be at the HF kickoff to wish you all Godspeed. Just look for the guy with his arm in a sling, that's me!
    Simple is good.

Awe Carbo, what a bummer! So sorry to hear about your arm. I wish you lots of luck healing as fast as you can! See you at the KO.

Images

Hey Carbo, So sorry to hear about your injury. Maybe it will be all healed up in time for you to jump in with flippers for the second half. Fall color in the Smokies?

Any flip-floppers beginning in June? Where would the "NOBO bubble" be around June 1st?

Flip floppers will probably be in NY or CT by then I would think. Nobos will be in Central to Northern VA.

Flip Floppers of 2015: I will be starting my AT flip flop thru-hike on 01 April in Damascus, VA and hiking to Maine then coming back to Damascus to Springer. Do not think I will make it to Harpers Ferry for the Flip Flop kick off in early May as I may still be in VA. Hope to see you on the AT. V/r Bear Bait.

Good luck to you! Cya out there fellow flipper!

Images

ewinslow, glad to have you on the trail with us. See you down the path.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Two days ago I ruptured a tendon in my bicep. Family doc says it will likely take surgery to repair and it may take a couple months to get back to normal. Will be seeing the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to know for sure. Anyway, I guess I will not be starting the trail as planned. I hope to still be at the HF kickoff to wish you all Godspeed. Just look for the guy with his arm in a sling, that's me!
    Carbo, Really sorry to hear about the bicep; i was really looking forward to having a fellow "68er" on the march. I hope you heal up quickly and get back on the trail.

Charliehorse

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post

I wouldn't worry about it too much DD. As long as your BF doesn't get below 10% you'll be in great shape. I look at it as lighter is better, especially when you dealing with old 68 year old knees like I have. I was about 240 a year ago and 31% BF, and was looking seriously at a knee replacement. But I challenged myself to get the fat off and reassess; I just didn't want a new knee quite yet. I know at least three people a little younger with knee replacements and all three need a do over. I got if down now to 20% and want to take it to around 14% which should put me at about 196 or so...it's the weight I was when I graduated from college and was playing rugby. The positive affects on my knees with the weight loss has been remarkable. I still have a little pain but nothing like it was 30 lbs ago. The way you talk i think you'll be one lean mean walking machine. Lookin' forward to see you in HF! BTW wasn't there a group starting around Swift Run Gap on April 17th? Is that still a go?

My heart is broken for you, Carbo. I can't imagine how that must feel---not just the arm. We will carry your honor with us. Do not give up the dream.

I did a four day hike last October and lost six pounds. While I understand that some of that might have been water, it still astounded me. As would be expected, I drank and lot of water and ate a lot of salty foods. And still it fell away.

I just have a feeling I'm going to have to keep and eye on this.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Hey Danger that weight loss will just help you justify all the cheeseburgers and pizzas you can eat when you hit town. :-)

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++