WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast

Thanks Treehugger. I believe you are correct with the rocks starting past Port Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Sling Shot View Post
    Thanks Treehugger. I believe you are correct with the rocks starting past Port Clinton.
    Actually, they start to get bad past Duncannon, but they really get bad past Port Clinton. This is were a good stiff sole and decent ankle support is nice to have in a boot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

One week! Time for final preparations, classmates!

I've been shaving pack weight. An ounce here, a few grams there. It's getting lighter! And that's a very good thing. Got family visiting this weekend for a private bon voyage. Need to see the old folks before I go. The family elders have strict instructions not to die over the next six months..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Yea Danger , the 1st question my brother asked if I want to be buried or cremated. Inheritance???

Images

Funny Danger and Squeezebox as that's also the instructions our sons gave us! Gonna try my absolute best to follow those instructions! I have repacked several times now, shed an ounce or two here and there. I am sure that after a few weeks there will be another pairing down of gear. The time is drawing near, see you in HF!

Journal Entries

I called harpers ferry today. Asked how many folks signed up to head out sunday. was told 20, but that's just folks that have registered..... They said it should be a few more.
    eveready

Images

My family has been very quiet about the hike. I think they're hoping I will forget about it (dementia?).
    Simple is good.

It's been quiet here, too. I can't tell whether it's a sense of peace or panic, serenity or insanity. Maybe some of each. I have a wife who would much rather I stay home with her for the next six months. Aside from that, she is 100% supportive. Everything that should be said has been said. It's go time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I got in one last pre-hike hike yesterday. Just a little loop hike in the SNP to South River Falls.

South River Falls Loop 4.24.15 026.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    It's been quiet here, too. I can't tell whether it's a sense of peace or panic, serenity or insanity. Maybe some of each. I have a wife who would much rather I stay home with her for the next six months...
    It's raining here today. Not a great fun day here.

It isn't ever gonna rain up there, is it?

Yesterday we got 2" of new snow, the temp was in the mid 30's and wind chill in the 20's. I took a 4 mile walk anyway I had to just walk the road as the trails here are way too sloppy now. It's up to 38 today, but still spitting snow. I hope it's a bit warmer in HF next week!

Say, will anyone else be hanging around Union station Friday (May 1) waiting for the first train to HF? I guess I can just look for people with packs which have treking poles attached. My bus gets into DC at the ungodly hour of 6 AM. I figure I'll wander over to the mall, maybe pay a visit to Lincoln and then find a tree to rest against until someone tells me to move along you homeless bum.

Images

I've been lurking on this forum for months. I can sense the excitement in all of the posts. I hope you all have great experiences on the trail.

Happy Trails!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Journal Entries

Slo-go'en, I was going to be at union station, but I'm going to drive to my mother-in-laws house in Frederick. She's taking me to HF early saturday. Didn't you know the guy who Thru-hiked with a Ham radio, and wrote that book 300 zero's?
    eveready

There should be a full moon next weekend and the forecast for the Harpers Ferry area is going to be very nice. With sunny warm days and mild nights. What a way to start!

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    Slo-go'en, I was going to be at union station, but I'm going to drive to my mother-in-laws house in Frederick. She's taking me to HF early saturday. Didn't you know the guy who Thru-hiked with a Ham radio, and wrote that book 300 zero's?
    Yes, I know K1 author of 300 zeros.

Journal Entries

I thought so, slo-go..... anyway, hope to see you next Saturday. I also did attempt Thru 2012. we probably passed each other and didn't know it!!!!
    eveready

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yesterday we got 2" of new snow, the temp was in the mid 30's and wind chill in the 20's. I took a 4 mile walk anyway I had to just walk the road as the trails here are way too sloppy now. It's up to 38 today, but still spitting snow. I hope it's a bit warmer in HF next week!

Say, will anyone else be hanging around Union station Friday (May 1) waiting for the first train to HF? I guess I can just look for people with packs which have treking poles attached. My bus gets into DC at the ungodly hour of 6 AM. I figure I'll wander over to the mall, maybe pay a visit to Lincoln and then find a tree to rest against until someone tells me to move along you homeless bum.
    Slo,

I am trying to put together my final travel plans now - may work out that I can pick you up on Friday. I will PM you with details.

We got cold rain today, but the extended forecast for HF is very encouraging.

As the excitement grows, so goes the frustration. Had a few financial surprises the past few weeks that have dented my hiking budget. I'm down to $30 a day trail bucks. I'm pretty sure I can manage this level of spending. I used to be a real budget wizard for our household, until the last few weeks! Maybe this is the cosmos telling me to live more frugally on my thru. My reply, "I'm listening, damnit! You did NOT have to kick me in the nuts!"

Honestly, I have additional resources. I just didn't want to have to tap them. We'll see.

Counting down the days...

Hello Fellow Flippers!
    I wanted to give you a heads up from Harpers Ferry, where ya'll will be in no time! I wrote Laurie a few days ago and asked if she could put me to work at the ATC because I was going stir crazy at home "mending" my knees. And she did just that! She trained me on a few aspects of the Visitor's Center and cut me loose. I worked Friday and Today and it was really fun. So many hikers already out there! We took several photos of section hikers and flip floppers just starting out and some that were passing thru like Kushataka and his wife, sorry can't remember her name right now.But they are so cool and doing really well! Faith is another hiker who has already started but is resting her knees in anticipation of coming out with us next weekend. It was great to see them all. We also witnessed Hop Scotch finish her thru today after 20 years of section hiking! Wow! That was really fun! Lots of day hikers, dreamers and wanna be's came in too. It was fun to see the spark of interest grow into a small flame in some of these people. A nine year girl came in with her Dad and they bought a membership for her. She has made a deal with her father that if she does well in school she can hike the trail when she is 14! Cool Dad! Anyway, Laurie let me sit in on a meeting about the FFKO and it's coming together nicely! Looking forward to it for sure!! I will be around HF Friday and Saturday so if anyone needs any help, let me know and I will do my best. Take care everyone as you make your way to this lil corner of WV. Let's see...Wine Friday night (do I have that right Danger? Can you give us that info one more time please?), lots of stuff to do Saturday and dinner Sat night, then breakfast Sun morning! So come hungry, thirsty and ready to roll!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    Hello Fellow Flippers!
    I wanted to give you a heads up from Harpers Ferry, where ya'll will be in no time! I wrote Laurie a few days ago and asked if she could put me to work at the ATC because I was going stir crazy at home "mending" my knees. And she did just that! She trained me on a few aspects of the Visitor's Center and cut me loose. I worked Friday and Today and it was really fun. So many hikers already out there! We took several photos of section hikers and flip floppers just starting out and some that were passing thru like Kushataka and his wife, sorry can't remember her name right now.But they are so cool and doing really well! Faith is another hiker who has already started but is resting her knees in anticipation of coming out with us next weekend. It was great to see them all. We also witnessed Hop Scotch finish her thru today after 20 years of section hiking! Wow! That was really fun! Lots of day hikers, dreamers and wanna be's came in too. It was fun to see the spark of interest grow into a small flame in some of these people. A nine year girl came in with her Dad and they bought a membership for her. She has made a deal with her father that if she does well in school she can hike the trail when she is 14! Cool Dad! Anyway, Laurie let me sit in on a meeting about the FFKO and it's coming together nicely! Looking forward to it for sure!! I will be around HF Friday and Saturday so if anyone needs any help, let me know and I will do my best. Take care everyone as you make your way to this lil corner of WV. Let's see...Wine Friday night (do I have that right Danger? Can you give us that info one more time please?), lots of stuff to do Saturday and dinner Sat night, then breakfast Sun morning! So come hungry, thirsty and ready to roll!!
    Treehugger, I hope the knees are mending. Thanks for the info and encouragement. And, thank you for pitching in to help with the FFKO.
    BTW, My Dad gave me an ATC membership when I was 15. 40 years later, I'm pursuing the dream.

I'll be flying into DC on Monday. My wife and I will spend Tuesday and Wednesday exploring HF, then she will see me off onto the trail on Thursday morning. We will definitely stop by the ATC to visit and get my passport stamped.

While I am not planning on attending the FFKO, I do plan to attend next year's KO as a graduated class of 2015 flip-flopper.

I look forward to meeting all of you on the trail.
    Safe travels,
    -Tejas

Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++