WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jetboil Says Goodbye to the Sols & Hello to the MiniMo

That's right folks, the Jetboil Sol aluminum (10.5oz) & ti (8.5oz) stove systems are being discontinued .

Up to now I have been using a homemade alcohol stove and I've been looking hard at the Jetboil Sols and when I went to the Jetboil web site I didn't see the Sols listed as a "cooking system". I thought this can't be so I called Jetboil (contact us: (888) 611-9905) and spoke with a rep named Shown. She told me that yes indeed the Sols were being discontinued and that they now had the MiniMo. I said I like the regulator the MiniMo has but the system weighs over 15oz. I did ask what the MiniMo cup was made out of and she said aluminum.

Maybe Jetboil was still having problems with the aluminum heat exchanger coming off the ti cup.

Now there doesn't seem to be a cooking system out there under now 15oz. The MSR Windboiler is over 15oz too.

Just seems like Jetboil is moving in the wrong direction when it comes to weight.

I'm sure a lot of outfitters still have the Sols in stock so if you want one better get one soon.

Explosion welding is expensive, and tack welding dissimilars such as titanium and aluminum is all but futile.

I'm liking the look and squatiness of the mimo, what I don't like is the price!

Images

Yikes, thanks for the heads up... I just ordered a Sol aluminum one on Amazon for $113 as a backup for my favorite all-time stove, my Sol Ti.

I am happy with my Sol Ti. I also purchased the one on special price: Zip.

I think the backpacking community was over-critical.

Did JetBoil have a lot of returns?

Is this thread real?

Sol Advanced. Sol Ti. In the "Jetboil Family of Systems".

ref: http://www.jetboil.com
    Last edited by Connie; 12-01-2014 at 18:41.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I am happy with my Sol Ti. I also purchased the one on special price.

I think what has happened, just a guess: With these stoves you CANNOT light it without water in it, even for an instant, if bone dry and you light the stove the fins will probably pop off the pot very quickly. I've seen this and the "perpetrator" blames the stove, which is somewhat justified actually because it does seem a bit over sensitive. But if you simply never-ever-ever do this (light the stove dry or let it boil away and run dry), you should have zero problem.

If true, Jetboil is over-sensative to "customers".

I think no cookware company has an obligation to the end-user that puts heat to their cookware with nothing in the pan.

I think they could print on the package: use only as directed.

The instructions on the package are sufficient.

I say, JetBoil, why let others push you out of the marketplace you created.

My materials science degree program, plus years in the technology field tell me "just because" you can't do a good job with the materials involved doesn't mean they cannot either.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-01-2014 at 18:59.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Over all, I think the MiniMo system is heading in the right direction.

The Jetboil Sol seems to have been designed strictly as a light-weight water boiling:
    Practically not temperature control
    Small cup size (0.8L)
    Cup shape optimized to save weight.

This is a design where you only boil water and then add the water to another container (such as freezer bag cooking and freeze dried meals).

But the Jetboil MiniMo seems to be designed for cooking:
    Temperature control that allows simmering.
    Cup sized to hold your water and food (it is 1L, where as I find my 0.83L MSR Titan Kettle to be a touch on the small size).
    Cup shape designed for use... cooking and eating.

So I can understand the weight gain that the MiniMo has over the Sol (given the change in cup size/shape).
    The price isn't ridiculous when you consider that the Flash is $99 and weights more than the MiniMo.

So if you compare it to the Flash, it's a pretty good design change... especially since the JetBoil has never really been designed for gram weenies.

Images

I think no cookware company has an obligation to the end-user that puts heat to their cookware with nothing in the pan.

I say, JetBoil, why let others push you out of the marketplace you created.
    No argument from me, however I say two things: In a business, the customer, however dumb, is always right. And: Who cares if they cancel the Jetboil Sol series? Just buy a backup and you should be good for a very, very long time.

"...the JetBoil has never really been designed for gram weenies."

Exactly.

As a long-time customer, I would rather have titanium, or, hard-anodized aluminum. My preference, however, is titanium cookware.

For home use, I choose layered stainless steel with a more heat conductive core. Either that, or hard-anodized aluminum or iron cookware.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-01-2014 at 19:09.

Thanks JB. The nice thing about the Sol is that it had its own insulator on the cup and everything was attached together (canister, burner & cup) one reason I wanted to switch to the Sol from the alcie was for the convenience factor.

I am happy with my Sol Ti. I also purchased the one on special price: Zip.

No idea how many returns. The problem goes way back then Jetboil redesigned the Sol Ti and then told everyone they could only boil water and not cook in it.

The problem goes way back to Abela, a SUL backpacker.

I saw all the comments in forums and blogs: no stews, no heavy cream soups, no boil-overs.

JetBoil = boil water.

JetBoil created that marketplace.

Before that it was a submersible, for tea.

Journal Entries

They may have lost their way bowing to consumers. I've heard but not confirmed, that they only made a Ti model because people kept asking for it, but they resisted because it was not ideal for their system (Al distributes heat much better), weight savings was really negligible and most of the difference in weight between the Sol and Sol Ti was a lighter, thinner cozy. In other words they got caught up with the ultralight crowd (and for 2 people, the orginal13-16 oz Sol Ti system including fuel and canister does fit into ultralight weight category).

I believe that product should be able to withstand a occasional minor and normal user error to some degree.

At first the Sol Ti said you could simmer and melt snow in it, it was even printed on the cozy. Just use a low flame. I had one of them and used it as directed, I made Chili from a can and then the fins popped off and burnt/melted - following the instructions (low flame, etc.) I returned it for a exchange at REI and got the new one that said heating and boiling water only (instructions and on the cozy), I checked their web site and it was there also now, sort of patched in - for heating and boiling water only for the Ti models. This also seemed to be the time when Jetboil stopped replacing the broken Ti pots under warrantee.

I was disappointed about the change and that I could not expect to cook in it, but was able to make it work in boil water mode.

I say, JetBoil, why let others push you out of the marketplace you created.My materials science degree program, plus years in the technology field tell me "just because" you can't do a good job with the materials involved doesn't mean they cannot either.
    I do believe the fins could have been redesigned for the Ti model to help prevent this. My take is that they just didn't want to go thru the redesign, and were not willing to continue with titanium.

But it is yet to see if they are actually being pushed out. Jetboil seems to be on the move with the new line and discontinuing a problemed line. They also have quite a bit of 'room' weight wise to play with as the Windboiler is heavy compared with the JB. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I am glad i got my Sol-TI couple of months ago when the getting was good, that's probably why it was on sale, the Sol-TI is a great stove I don't have any complaints, it's sad that it's being discontinued.

I always got my trusty MSR Pocket Rocket as a backup.

I'm a fan of the Olicamp pot posted by JB. I can appreciate the speed and all-in-one convenience of the Jet Boil, but I like the versatility of the Olicamp. I use it with an alcohol stove (boils 2 cups in 3 to 4 min with 13 mL fuel) or switch to canister stove if needed (I have not done that yet but I have that option). It's not just a water boiler. I cook in the pot. It's wide enough to eat out of and clean with no hassles, but not so wide to loose heat fast or spill easily. If you want to cut an oz or two you can DIY lighter handles and lid.

I have the Sol Aluminum. Great stove. My advice is to buy one if you can find one.

Journal Entries

If you want your stove, you can keep your stove. However I fond out a long time ago that once the fuel canister becomes unavailable you have to say goodbye. I got burned by two brands in the past. That's why I'm sticking with my alky stove. I will never go near another canister stove again.

I think all canisters are universal, now.

Is is possible there is a different canister thread I read about, not in North America however. I think so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++