WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries

The Sol is also smaller, more suitable for 1 person and also perfectly 'just' enough for 2.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The Sol is also smaller, more suitable for 1 person and also perfectly 'just' enough for 2.
    Agreed, just enough. Makes about 3 1/4 cups if filled to the brim, perfect for two decent sized cups of coffee or two medium sized freeze dried meals (or one large, one small). My wife and I use our Sol Ti on all our BP trips and never needed more hot water at one time than this little marvel could deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I have the Zip, which after my original JetBoil seems so lightweight, plus I prefer the 1.5 liter size.
    Connie, the Jetboil Zip is 0.8L. Do you mean the Jetboil Sumo? The Sumo is 1.8 L. There is also a GCS Pot that is 1.5 L, maybe that's what you have?

The Ti Sol has the regulator stove that maintains a constant flame, to 20 F, and, to the bottom of the canister, if it is anything like my regulator SOTO OD-1R regulator stove that came up with the design.
    Hmm. Well, color me sceptical on that one. In the testing that I've done, the regulator hasn't made a bit of difference. That's not to say that the Soto is a bad stove (or the Sol for that matter), but I think the claims of cold weather performance are grossly exaggerated.

Aluminum will get scratches on the surface, I feel harbors germs. I can't help it, scratched cookware is unacceptable to me.
    I believe you'd be OK there. The aluminum gets at least as hot as the contents of the pot (212 Fahrenheit, the temperature of boiling water). The Centers for Disease Control says that boiling is the #1 most effective means of treatment. Presumably any bacteria clinging to the inside of the pot would get nailed too. Of course it can't hurt to have titanium in that sense.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    My Sol Ti weighs in at 8.9 oz, and yes, without that little useless cup and unnecessary stabilizing stand.
    Well, yes, but you could also leave those components behind on the Zip. On my scale, the difference was about 2.2 ounces in an apples-to-apples comparison. But whatever. The marketplace appears to have spoken and the Sol is, alas, dead.

(and I completely agree that the "cup" is useless and that a canister stand is unnecessary on a 0.8 L pot)

HJ

I made a side-by-side comparison of the SOTO OD-1R and my MSR Pocket Rocket.

I burned both down, until out of fuel. The SOTO OD-1R had the steady flame.

Next, 20 F. I "retired" the Pocket Rocket.

Thank you, for the information about the JetBoil Zip. I like it.

I think I will try to get a JetBoil Sol Ti before they are all sold. I like the regulator stove feature.

I do like the ignitor.

Images

Jetboil was bought by the mega Johnson Outdoors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Outdoors a company that is essentially without a clue when it comes to the BP community. Yes, I've dealt with these people directly. It was painful! They've decided to go after the Cabelas/Sprotsmans Warehouse crowd, and have made the BP community less of a priority. Good news is I have a Sol Ti and a Sol, as well as an extra Sol aluminum pot. I should be good to go. Also have the Olicamp, which is a terrific setup.

I think that was a bad choice.

I know backpackers that backpack the JetBoil, even the first JetBoil.

The "smallest" backpack is a Virga backpack, and, most have a big ruck or a frame pack.

These are the same backpackers that look incredulously at my smaller backpack.

Even so, there is a place for the JetBoil Zip and, preferably, the JetBoil Sol Ti in my backpack.

I like my little alcohol stoves from Zelph. They fit in a pocket.

However, JetBoil makes hot water, right now. In the mountains of "The Continental Divide" I usually want hot water right now.

Images

I think I will try to get a JetBoil Sol Ti before they are all sold. I like the regulator stove feature.

I do like the ignitor.
    Still on Amazon Prime, no tax, free 2-day shipping (for prime members), for $120 (I think I said $113 below, sorry):

http://www.amazon.com/Jetboil-Titani.../dp/B004RA03LK

$120 is a good price. Full retail is $150.

HJ

I made a side-by-side comparison of the SOTO OD-1R and my MSR Pocket Rocket.

I burned both down, until out of fuel. The SOTO OD-1R had the steady flame.
    Yep. It will do that. The regulator valve has been called the "cruise control" of stoves. As the canister cools, it loses pressure. The regulator can open up and allow more pressure through, keeping the flame relatively constant. It's a really nice feature.

But note that I said "the regulator can open up and allow more pressure through." Of course there has to be more pressure available. A regulator can only hold back pressure; it cannot increase pressure. Canister pressure is a function of the fuel mix, the temperature, and elevation. If the temperature is cold enough, there is no additional pressure available, and the regulator valve is no better than any other stove.

And again, I'm not knocking the Soto MicroRegulator or the newer Windmaster. They are the highest quality of any canister gas stove I've seen on the US market. I just think that their cold weather performance is exaggerated.

Most important thing though is that you're happy with it, which it sounds like you are. Like I say, they are excellent stoves.

HJ

Journal Entries

Just picked up a Minimo for 85 bucks with free shipping....can't beat the price!
    From Whittaker Mountaineering.

Thanks! That is a VERY good price so I ordered one. I already have a MiniMo and it's indeed good enough to deserve a backup!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++