WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gave my notice today

Yep, I did it. Gave my notice effective at the end of Feb. Boss said he would love to have me back when I get finished. It just got real,folks. Gonna try and bring the 20 year dream home with a completed thru hike of the appalachian trail starting sometime in March.

Great that you have an accommodating boss. But with only 13 posts, you have some serious posting about gear, danger, and cheese to get done in just a few months!

Images

And don't forget guns, dogs, and hammock zealotry!
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Don't forget the toilet paper

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Hope you have a great hike!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Live the dream! Friggin' awesome on all accounts!

Enjoy the adventure.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Good luck on your hike.

Congrats man! I know it is not overly relevant to your upcoming hike but were you aware that you would have your job back if you wanted before you put in the notice? Just curious if that did or would have affected your decision making. Either way congrats and best of luck!

Section Hiker

Have a great hike! Let us know if you'll be keeping a blog or Trail Journal.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

good for you. To those who are lurking and pondering, go ahead and follow walkinslow's lead. I just read somewhere else that they added another 3.9 miles to the trail. it ain't getting easier folks. I was fortunate enough to hike it about 5 years ago and it was officially 6.7 miles shorter"back in the day" than it will be next year. I don't think I would have finished if i had another 6.7 miles left.that's just too much extra hiking. if you put it off another 6 or 7 years you could be adding another 5-10 miles. think about that for a second.

although, i have been on WB for awhile and realized that not enough time has officially elapsed for me to come on here an wax poetic about how much better " the trail was back when I hiked it".

Pardon me if I mess this reply up as you can see by my post count I just mostly read not post.
    to answer your question no i relly had no idea that I would stil have my job when I returned. I work in a field
    ( Hvac) that I was confident that I could find a job on my return so I really wasn't worried about it.
    I have been dreaming of this for a long time, a year and half ago my wife decided we didn't want to be married any more so with the kids on their own and no responsibility but myself I relocated from sc. to nc and shortly after decided I was going to go for it. I busted my rear the last year and saved money and bought gear. Once I made up my mind I knew I was going with or without a job to come back to. I made myself a promise when I got separated that I was going to live My life like never before.

Quote Originally Posted by walkinslow View Post
    Pardon me if I mess this reply up as you can see by my post count I just mostly read not post.
    to answer your question no i relly had no idea that I would stil have my job when I returned. I work in a field
    ( Hvac) that I was confident that I could find a job on my return so I really wasn't worried about it.
    I have been dreaming of this for a long time, a year and half ago my wife decided we didn't want to be married any more so with the kids on their own and no responsibility but myself I relocated from sc. to nc and shortly after decided I was going to go for it. I busted my rear the last year and saved money and bought gear. Once I made up my mind I knew I was going with or without a job to come back to. I made myself a promise when I got separated that I was going to live My life like never before.

Well I'm sorry to hear about the surrounding circumstances, but it sounds like you are in fact living your life the way you want and that is a great thing. Congrats again and keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by LogHiking View Post
    Well I'm sorry to hear about the surrounding circumstances, but it sounds like you are in fact living your life the way you want and that is a great thing. Congrats again and keep us posted!
    It all good, life goes on and I'm not going to miss out on anymore adventures.

Safe journey!

That is one of the best reasons to hike a trail and no one even asked why your doing it. No matter which way your hike goes, it will be one of the best things you've ever done in your life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by walkinslow View Post
    It all good, life goes on and I'm not going to miss out on anymore adventures.
    Good for you! Don't look back, I always trip over something when I do.

Congratulations! Take your time, and enjoy the ride.
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

AT 2012

i wish you all the luck in the world on your hike, and hope you have a wonderful time -- and I thank you for giving us all this sweet thread to read!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    And don't forget guns, dogs, and hammock zealotry!
    oops, am I responsible for another one on the list...

Best of luck tinknocker!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++