WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Glasgow shelter?

Does somebody know if the town of Glasgow allows thru hikers to pitch a tent by the shelter that was built in town?

Why don't you just stay in the shelter ? if the shelter is full they probably would but the best way to find out is to go to the town hall and ask them upon arrival in Glasgow or just simply hitch back to the AT where tenting is allowed, on all my thru- hikes i have always been able to hitch into Glasgow get resupplied and anything else i needed to get done and hitch back to the AT with plenty of day light left to make some miles.

http://www.glasgowvirginia.org/Glasg...il_Shelter.php . There is a large, flat grassy area on which to pitch tents. Short-term resupply, post office, coin laundry, good eats, and library within easy walking distance. Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinn View Post
    http://www.glasgowvirginia.org/Glasg...il_Shelter.php . There is a large, flat grassy area on which to pitch tents. Short-term resupply, post office, coin laundry, good eats, and library within easy walking distance. Recommended.
    Thanks! Since there will be 3 of us, including a child, I want to minimize surprises, and we need to get a drop box at Glasgow for the next stretch. From what I saw there is no other type of lodging at a walking distance, so the shelter area will do, and we have the tent option if full. Thanks for the replies.

Glad I could help. The biggest potential challenge is getting to and from the AT if you plan on flagging down a ride. Patience and a good attitude would be your best friends. Good luck! Most gotta-do-my-miles hikers simply pass it by, which is really too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    Thanks! Since there will be 3 of us, including a child, I want to minimize surprises, and we need to get a drop box at Glasgow for the next stretch. From what I saw there is no other type of lodging at a walking distance, so the shelter area will do, and we have the tent option if full. Thanks for the replies.
    Before you leave on your hike, PM me and I will give you my phone number. I will try and help you out as much as I can while your in my area. I live 9 miles from Glasgow.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Journal Entries

I originally planned a stop at Glasgow, (or Big Island, would hitch either way) for resupply but had enough to go another day and go into Buena Vista which has a hostel and other low cost lodging choices for 3 people sharing a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinn View Post
    Most gotta-do-my-miles hikers simply pass it by, which is really too bad.
    From Troutville to Waynesboro it's about ~135 miles. Buena Vista is just past the halfway point but twice as far off trail as Glasgow. I did the ~56 miles to Glasgow and ~79 to Waynesboro, which seemed to make the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I originally planned a stop at Glasgow, (or Big Island, would hitch either way) for resupply but had enough to go another day and go into Buena Vista which has a hostel and other low cost lodging choices for 3 people sharing a room.
    Had a hostel.

Sly, I did it this way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    From Troutville to Waynesboro it's about ~135 miles. Buena Vista is just past the halfway point but twice as far off trail as Glasgow. I did the ~56 miles to Glasgow and ~79 to Waynesboro, which seemed to make the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Before you leave on your hike, PM me and I will give you my phone number. I will try and help you out as much as I can while your in my area. I live 9 miles from Glasgow.
    Thanks, will think of you !

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    A hitch is a hitch, 2x as far is really irrelevant, you sit inside a car/SUV or in the bed of a p/u truck on your way to town.

There was a huge storm when I stayed there in 2013, and some people rushed us from the shelter to a local church. Glasgow is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    A hitch is a hitch, 2x as far is really irrelevant, you sit inside a car/SUV or in the bed of a p/u truck on your way to town.
    Yeah think, what about cars not going all the way? Of course we could have a long drawn out debate, but my guess is Rt 60 has less traffic than Rt 501

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I wonder if there is still night construction going on behind the shelter. Glasgow was so awesomely weird. Like a Stephen King novel, everything came alive after midnight!

I'm way late to the party, but isn't there a KOA in or near that town? (Lynchburg) You can camp and shower there for like $15. 1 434-299-5228
    **Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.**

Yes, there is:

http://koa.com/campgrounds/lynchburg/

And another campground a few miles away from Glasgow:

http://www.campnbr.com/#

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

++ New Posts ++