WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    book was terrible. she uses her mothers death and her desire to hike as an excuse for abandoning her family. will not support the movie.
    I enjoyed the book and look forward to going to the movie with my local backpacking club.

I can see how she would remind folks of many of the male heroes in the Bible. ~wink~

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I do agree with the earlier comments regarding Wild reinforcing the stereotype that someone going on a long hike must be running from something or have some serious issues in their life. I'm not sure how many more hikers will be on the PCT next year due to watching Wild, but I kind of dread the conversations regarding Wild with non-hikers who might get a wrong idea about what such a trip is all about and what I'm trying to get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    "Miner, I own every movie on the PCT"
    List please.
    1. Walking the West (thru-hike from the late 90's). An Irish and New Zealander immigrant decide to quit their jobs and hike the PCT. They meet interesting hikers along the way (back when there were far fewer hikers then today) and overcome adversity on the trail (or sometimes not since one quits in Northern Washington). Low res version can be found on YouTube. This was the first trail documentary I saw and remains one of my favorites.
    2. ReSouled on the PCT (from the early to mid 2000's) - No longer available. Hiker films his hike, the scenery and the crazy antics that hikers do while on the trail to entertain themselves. Better then some, not as good as others. I enjoyed it.
    3. Walk Series by Squatch (all 4 + Sidetrails) - All about the hikers themselves and their crazy stories with a little scenery of the trail thrown in. Each subsequent movie becomes more about Squatch hiking the trail along with those crazy hikers and the last one being just as much about him finally finishing the trail after several years of filming along it. The first one is the best as he was still an outsider looking in. The hiker stories he shows are amusing and often funny.
    4. Tell it on the Mountain (filmed in 2007 but released much later) - Video Cameras given to several hikers to film their experiences along the way. Additional footage of trail and interviews added in by film crew. Story is a little about the PCT and the majority is about the personal experiences of each hiker as they experience the trail including the highs and lows including encountering a forest fire along the trail. It's well done overall.
    5. 6 Millions Steps (filmed in 2009) - Filmed the year I hiked and I met the crew several times. I know some of the people in the film. The focus of the film shifted during the filming. It was originally going to be about following this guy who was carrying a custom pack his dad's cottage company makes. While hiking in the desert, he actually wrote in the registers that he wished it was hotter. I thought he was an idiot when I read it. He quit after Yosemite as he wasn't enjoying the trail at all. So the film crew scrambled to changed the story they filmed to something else and dropped the guy whom they had been following for 1000 miles from it. It's the more typical interviewing various hikers along the trail with some trail footage thrown in. It's done very well, but it isn't as entertaining as some of the other ones such as Tell it On the Mountain.
    6. National Geographic's Pacific Crest Trail (also filmed in 2009) - Great trail footage. Looks at hiker culture a bit. But like their AT episode, they spend too much time talking about environmental threats and issues facing the trail when they had soo much more of the trail to show. It's my understanding that they wanted to make all they filmed into several TV episodes but were forced into just 1 episode. It's not a bad watch and just the scenery alone makes it worth it. As many of us noted at the world premier at the 2010 ADZPCTKO showing, it tended to overuse the word EXTREME. In the words of Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."
    7. Wizards of the PCT (filmed in 2008) - Follow Jester and the other members of Team Bad Wizard (name comes from the 4-5 pound bronze statue of a wizard that when rotated becomes a phallic symbol that they carried for the entire trail after someone stuck it in a pack at the ADZPCTKO as a joke. And no, the statue is not the focus of the movie). Its the typical follow along the same group of hikers as they do crazy things while looking at great scenery. But it's very entertaining as is his sequel from the CDT.
    8. As It Happens TV: PCT (released online in 2014, you can watch it on youtube) - Follow the film maker and his friend from the AT as they hike the PCT in a high snow year. Tends to exaggerate the drama and they seemed to do things to add more of it to make it a more interesting film (like hitchhiking several hundred miles from the Sierra Nevada to the Ocean for July 4th to see the fireworks). Professionally well done. Well worth watching.
    9. Only the Essential (filmed in 2013 and just released this week) - Haven't got my copy yet, so I can't comment on it. It follows the two filmmakers on their hike. Seems to show some nice scenery from the trailers.
    10. How to Hike the PCT - This is more like a how to guide that interviews hikers. But its a bit out of date and dry to watch.
    11. The Runner - Runner legend David Horton sets out in a high snow year to break the supported speed record. He did it in more in a typical trail runner fashion rather then is typical of record attempts today. His record has been broken several times since then. Its as much about the legend David Horton as the PCT but its still an interesting watch; especially as he goes through the High Sierra. I think runners will relate to it more then other typical backpacking films.
    12. Walking with Freedom: West (filmed in 2007) - LionKing hikes the PCT and films whatever interests him along the way. He fails to finish due to early winter storms and his slow pace though his attempts at trying in the snow was a different perspective at the end. Seems as much as a series of music videos then a true documentary. It's an okay watch but I don't rewatch this one as much as most of the others. It has some nice scenery, especially of Washington in the snow. Its pretty much the same film as his AT one only located on the PCT.

I'm sure I'm missing one. I'm not home so I'm doing this by memory.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    What did you think of ""Mile ... Mile and a Half"? Even though it's about the JMT and not the entire PCT, per se.

The filming was well done and shows off some of the great scenery along the JMT. The group of friends seemed to be intentionally choosen to be diverse in backgrounds to add more interest. It seemed a little forced in this as it seemed like it was almost a casting call then a true group of friends out hiking, but I have to admit that the people were interesting in different ways to watch so I can't fault them for doing this. As hikers, they aren't like PCT, CDT, or AT thu-hikers but more like regular folks backpacking. It takes longer on the trail to make that full transformation. However, this doesn't detract from it and probably makes it easier for regular people to relate to. It's a good hiker film overall and far more professional then most.

Images

I am surprised at the people who dismiss this movie because it is not a documentary on PTC thru-hiking. Jeez, I'm a trail journal junkie and even I recognize that hiking documentaries have a very narrow appeal. Nothing wrong with seeing a movie that explores other aspects of the human condition, and if it has the PCT as a backdrop all the better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I think a lot of people in the hiking community are trying to project their own hiking experiences or what they want from a hiking movie onto Wild. It's not a documentary about your thru-hike--it's a memoir of someone else's. I wish people would try to judge it by that standard instead of how they think a hiking movie should be.
    Ditto. I want to come up with a snarky equivalent to HYOH like WYOM (Watch Your Own Movie) but I am not that cleaver. I mean clever, errr proved my point

I've read the book, and had a mother who died from cancer, and have a family. She left her family basically because "she felt like it" and used hiking as an excuse. What a joke of a life.
    You and I must have read different versions of this book. In the version I read (and am looking at now), Strayed explains that in the 4 years after her mother died, the relationship with her stepfather had become "strained and distant," she and her siblings rarely spoke or saw each other; and she had just finalized the divorce from her husband after a yearlong separation. She had no children, no one to take care of, except herself, and she wasn't doing such a great job of that. Strayed also writes about how she struggled to make her marriage work and keep her sister and brother close after her mom died and failed.

I am not sure how that translates into "left her family to go hiking." And even if that was the case, what of it? Isn't that what hundreds, if not thousands, of people do each year?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Miner, Thank you,

Because I looked up your listings, I found this (with "trailers"). http://www.planyourhike.com/media/index.php
    Last edited by Connie; 12-03-2014 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I kind of dread the conversations regarding Wild with non-hikers who might get a wrong idea about what such a trip is all about and what I'm trying to get out of it.
    I think that I've hiked about 60 days since the book Wild was released and I've been asked about it exactly one time while on trail. And realistically, I'm in Oprah's and Strayed's prime target market demographic.

I also think that it is highly likely that you will be misunderstood by non-hikers, but it will probably be the more typical and normal, "What kind of nut-case hikes 2600 miles and lives outside for months on end????" I kind of doubt that anybody will assume that you are the kind of lost soul nut job escaping the trauma from your teens and 20's.

PS... If you can articulate why you are hiking and what you'd like to get out of a thru hike... your conversations should probably go mostly fine. But you still might be misunderstood, but I don't think it will be the movie, Wild.

I do agree with the earlier comments regarding Wild reinforcing the stereotype that someone going on a long hike must be running from something or have some serious issues in their life. I'm not sure how many more hikers will be on the PCT next year due to watching Wild, but I kind of dread the conversations regarding Wild with non-hikers who might get a wrong idea about what such a trip is all about and what I'm trying to get out of it.
    No worse than the kinds of conversations that took place after Gov. Sanford's "hike" on the AT. Fact is, nobody knows what long distance hiking is about unless or until they've actually done it -- regardless of what's going on in popular culture at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    No worse than the kinds of conversations that took place after Gov. Sanford's "hike" on the AT. Fact is, nobody knows what long distance hiking is about unless or until they've actually done it -- regardless of what's going on in popular culture at the time.
    Those pesky Argentinian Nationals popping up with love on their minds on the Trail are now more easily controlled with New and Improved, "Argentine Love Interest Bee-Gone" by Cutters.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

book was terrible. she uses her mothers death and her desire to hike as an excuse for abandoning her family. will not support the movie.
    Most long distance hikers abandon their families for the duration of the hike.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I think that I've hiked about 60 days since the book Wild was released and I've been asked about it exactly one time while on trail. And realistically, I'm in Oprah's and Strayed's prime target market demographic.
    Far fewer people read than go to movies and this should be a major holiday season draw...

I'm a 41 year old man so there is obviously no direct parallel to Strayed except for the potential assumption that people hiking long distance trails are somehow running away from something. Life isn't perfect but I'm not running away from anything. My guess is that some significant percentage of hikers might be but this likely falls well short of a majority.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    You and I must have read different versions of this book. In the version I read (and am looking at now), Strayed explains that in the 4 years after her mother died, the relationship with her stepfather had become "strained and distant," she and her siblings rarely spoke or saw each other; and she had just finalized the divorce from her husband after a yearlong separation. She had no children, no one to take care of, except herself, and she wasn't doing such a great job of that. Strayed also writes about how she struggled to make her marriage work and keep her sister and brother close after her mom died and failed.

I am not sure how that translates into "left her family to go hiking." And even if that was the case, what of it? Isn't that what hundreds, if not thousands, of people do each year?
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Most long distance hikers abandon their families for the duration of the hike.
    do most hikers abandon their families for good and use the trail as an excuse? this is feeling I got from the book...maybe I am misguided but I dont think so
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

In fairness to Strayed, it doesn't appear that she "abandoned" anyone. Her mother had died and she was estranged from her siblings and did not have any dependents to support. She didn't "abandon" her family any more than anyone without dependents does when going on a long hike.

do most hikers abandon their families for good and use the trail as an excuse? this is feeling I got from the book...maybe I am misguided but I dont think so

I can't argue with your "feeling," but I think you probably just didn't read closely enough, to be honest. There was no "family" for Strayed to abandon or return to and her plan from the beginning was to hike to Oregon for a "fresh start" (she had a friend in Oregon).

I don't think Strayed represents "most" hikers.

I think she is the exception. I also have the impression she is exceptional.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If there wasn't anything exceptional about Ms. Strayed's story, it would not have been published.

...I'm not sure how many more hikers will be on the PCT next year due to watching Wild...
    I would expect there to be some increase in activity along the PCT for the next couple of years if for no other reason than the movie will act sort-of like a product-placement ad.

There will be some people who didn't know about the PCT (or know what it was like) and will take up an interest in it because they say it in this movie (after all, if I recall correctly, Strayed hiked the PCT simply because of a book she sort-of randomly came across). I know I'm now hoping to hike the JMT after watching "Mile - Mile and a Half".

Images

I actually think that Strayed represents a great many hikers (especially long distance or thru-hikers), if not the norm. Running from life, looking for a meaning in life, escaping bad relationships, or "walking off the war" is a rather common theme among so many people that seek to get on a trail for extended periods of time. It has been universal since the earliest pilgrimage routes.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I'm a 41 year old man so there is obviously no direct parallel to Strayed except for the potential assumption that people hiking long distance trails are somehow running away from something. Life isn't perfect but I'm not running away from anything.
    I haven't thru hiked, but I'm trying to imagine how many day-hikers or non-hikers you will run into. You will be going thru Sequoia, Yosemite and Tahoe kind of early in the season. I'm imagining that you will run into the same day-hikers that everybody runs into in previous years and they will make the same assumptions about you - Wild or no Wild.

I'm trying to imagine what effect Wild will have on the number of people on the trail. I started going backpacking alone because it is so very difficult to find friends (women 40-50 years old) who want to hike. I can't imagine that the movie is going to come out and my phone will be ringing off the hook with people/women wanting to get on the PCT.

Most people have jobs and a couple or three weeks vacation (and many don't take it!). I think that most people will continue to choose a hotel vacation with a bed and restaurants rather than hiking.

I really don't know about younger people in their 20's. I don't know how popular the movie will be with this demographic. Reese Witherspoon is not Jennifer Lawrence. If Lawrence was playing Strayed, maybe we should be worried that the PCT will be filled with 20 year olds. I don't know if Wild will be a big hit with 22 year olds. We'll see.

The only people I know who backpack in their 20's have parents who also backpack. A lot of younger (and maybe older?) people are terrified of sleeping alone in the woods or afraid of bears. My son can barely get his friends to day hike, they are so afraid of bears. After seeing wild, they will be afraid of foxes and frogs, too. OMG... the frogs.

Realistically, most American's are barely in day-hiker shape never mind thru hiker or even weekender shape. Yosemite Valley is PACKED with humans in the summer, but walk out 2 miles and you may see 10 people all day. Walk out 10 miles and you might see 5 people. Leave the national parks, or go off season and you might see zero people.

I think that the number one factor in the trails being more crowded is population growth. California's population was about 20 million in 1970 to 1980. Then it grew to 30 million in the 1990's. The population now is about 38 million. So it kind of makes sense that there are more people on the trails, compared to in past years. I'm sure this is true across the US.

And people being healthier in their 50's, 60's and 70's. I think that there are more "older" people on the trail. I know that I don't feel 57. But some 57 year olds feel 77... so it evens out.

I just can't see a movie coming out in December significantly changing the number of people on the trail by THAT much. But I could be wrong...
    Last edited by DLP; 12-04-2014 at 14:45.

In addition to what DLP posted, the movie does not make long-distance hiking look glamorous by any stretch of the imagination -- Strayed is frustrated, battered, bruised, dehydrated and the Trail Magic and camaraderie aspects are downplayed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++