WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I would fear selfies. Our local day hike trail went from 50 people on a Saturday ten years ago to 4,000 people because of social media and people meeting up for selfies. http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/artic...ot-5755479.php

However, I can drive 3 miles South, pay $6 in parking and hike the same peak on another trail for 6 hours and see a half dozen people.

If selfies at the PCT half way marker become all the rage... be very afraid.
    Last edited by DLP; 12-04-2014 at 15:00.

So when did every body go from being hikers too book and Movie Critics, I personally didn't care for the book and I doubt I would like the movie most backpacking movies I have seen been real cheesy.

I am talking about movies not Documentaries, Movies and Documentaries are two different things, a few posts ago Miner posts a list of what he called movies, most of them I would consider to be Documentaries and not movies.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    So when did every body go from being hikers too book and Movie Critics.
    And don't forget that we are gear reviewers, too! You actually left a review of the book in your post, Red-Dog. "I personally didn't care for the book". It looks like you became a book critic at 11:14am PST.

Time to turn off the computer and live in the real world for a few days... not that you all aren't real.
    Last edited by DLP; 12-04-2014 at 15:27.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I'm trying to imagine what effect Wild will have on the number of people on the trail. I started going backpacking alone because it is so very difficult to find friends (women 40-50 years old) who want to hike. I can't imagine that the movie is going to come out and my phone will be ringing off the hook with people/women wanting to get on the PCT.
    I just can't see a movie coming out in December significantly changing the number of people on the trail by THAT much. But I could be wrong...
    Um, the book already a huge effect on the number of thru-hikers. There was a big increase in 2013 hikers over previous years: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_233879...y-popular-this

Then in 2014 the number went up another 30%: http://www.bendbulletin.com/home/238...c-crest-trail#

The population of California didn't jump by 30% in a year. Also, there was a big jump in AT thru-hikers after Bill Bryson's book came out.

But I think that the effect of the book will pale in comparison to the movie. Way more people will see or at least hear about the movie than will read the book, so there's good reason to expect that there will be even more hikers this year and the year after. Also, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to find a few months off to do a thru-hike or a section hike. This is something that is within the grasp of millions of people if they want to do it. The thing is that most people have never heard of the PCT or think you need to be an athlete or have a lot of outdoor experience to do a thru-hike. Wild (the movie) will dispel those illusions for a lot of folks.

The holidays are a rough time for many people. I can see how some people going to this movie might be inspired to thru hike next year even though the presentation doesn't appear to glamorize hiking. The hike apparently helped Strayed improve her life. Lots of people want to improve their lives and going on a big adventure also appeals to many people. Also, we still have lots of unemployment and underemployment in the United States so plenty of people might decide to take a number of months off if their income prospects generally suck anyway.

So I guess we will see. I don't have any preconceived notions regarding the types of people I'm likely to meet on the PCT and don't think that it is "invalid" in any way to decide to hike the PCT based on inspiration from Wild. I wonder how many people will be inspired and, of those, how many will admit it next year. I do know that I have no plans to ever bring up the movie but I bet others will in conversation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The holidays are a rough time for many people. I can see how some people going to this movie might be inspired to thru hike next year even though the presentation doesn't appear to glamorize hiking.
    True.

But I also think the great majority of people in this country and around the world have never even heard of the PCT-- or even the AT.

A movie like this will open a lot of eyes to what's out there-- and how doable a long distance hike is, as adventures go.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Germans make up a large percentage of AT thru hikers on the 2014 list? Not sure why, but someone once posted here that a TV documentary I that country some years ago may have been the spark.

Journal Entries

Thank u Miner for listing the PCT films!! It was a reminder of IMO the greatest trail film made yet, which is Wizards of Marcus smart needs a major dose of proactive PCT ! Made by our once very own Jester. That was a great film with great music and a awesome cast. Especially sol!

I also love squatch films and mile mile and a half on JMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Journal Entries

Sorry about the marcus smart thing above my friend texted it to me as I replied to thread and somehow it got pasted into my response. Sorry marcus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Going to see it because Reese Witherspoon is hot

This weekend's Travel section in the NY Times has an interesting article on the filming of the movie in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax22 View Post
    Going to see it because Reese Witherspoon is hot
    Indeed she is even as a long distance hiker without any makeup...

1. Is it true there was a nude scene, and, men are going to see this movie because Reese Witherspoon is in the buff?

2. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/07...in-oregon.html is hilarious, or, maybe you have to have lived in Oregon to "get" the humor, for example, photo: Mt. hood shrouded in clouds? I have lived, in Oregon. I was laughing out loud, almost every paragraph.

There is some brief nudity but anyone going just for that will probably be disappointed.

Images

My plan, take my (non backpacking wife), see the movie, buy her a great meal with lotsa wine...............let her talk about how amazing our life would be backpacking the planet

Sell everything in the next 90 days

Get her signed up for WB

Perfect

NBC nightly news is on right now and they're going to be talking about the movie and the increase in hikers it is causing. Will be interesting to see what they have to report.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySnook View Post
    NBC nightly news is on right now and they're going to be talking about the movie and the increase in hikers it is causing. Will be interesting to see what they have to report.
    I just saw that report. The women they interviewed looked like day-hikers to me (equipment-wise), tho they were presented in the report as if they were through-hikers. Anyone else get that impression?
    (you can see the report here: http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...-trail-n263056)

this looks like a movie worth watching. Gonna hunt it out.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    My plan, take my (non backpacking wife), see the movie, buy her a great meal with lotsa wine...............let her talk about how amazing our life would be backpacking the planet

Sell everything in the next 90 days

Get her signed up for WB

Perfect
    That plan worked for me. I met my (now) wife in 2010 and starting regaling her with tales from the AT and PCT right away. A few dates in I told her that I was planning on doing the CDT within a couple of years. A few dates later I invited her along, and to my surprise she said yes.

The rest is history: we set a date, sold most of our stuff, put the rest in storage, and did the CDT.

Images

Just chewing on my thoughts, not being judgmental, but will this movie lead to a massive increase in trail traffic for the next decade much as did BB in 1996? I see similarities but also differences.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++