WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

E Street theatre between 10th and 11th NW

Quote Originally Posted by masonorange View Post
    We're in the DC area did you see it? Seems like an E Street or Shirlington type of movie right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's currently at the Angelika in Merrifield or E Street Cinema in DC. I saw a sneak preview at Nat Geographic last week for free!
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

It's playing at a few theaters here in Chicago - I'm gonna go see a matinee in a few hours!

There really has not been given a lot of attention towards the movie. I'm not saying it is either good or bad but there seems like only a few places are playing it. I haven't seen any TV ads for it at all.

Has anyone seen the movie?

Wolf

Images

We have a 16 screen Regal here in Frederick and it's not on their list. Yet they can waste multiple screens on single movies (gotta have 3D, 3D Imax, regular.......)
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Opens here in Spokane late this month. I expect that by then it will be everywhere.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

FWIW, the 5:15 showing at E street was probably less than half full. Maybe more like 35-40% full. I guess it is a niche film but would have thought that a big name star would attract more people.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    In Montana, do we have a big town?

Okay, Great Falls, MT is only 340 miles 'round trip.

Maybe a bootleg copy, with subtitles, at my favorite bay?
    I naively thought it would be showing in Kalispell or Whitefish. Not so. I was actually planning to see it in a movie theater, hoping that the scenery would make it all worthwhile. I guess Netflix it will be, some months hence.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I have Netflix. I have Hulu Plus.

I think a DVD would be quicker.

Anyone think there will be a DVD?

In 3-6 months, yes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The theater was completely empty here in Chicago yesterday. It was me and 7 or 8 retirees it seemed like.

Agreed that it did not glamorize the trail, and most of the scenic shots made it look like the PCT was desert. It focused on the personal story far more than the trail.

Overall it was... fine. (Not exactly a ringing endorsement, haha). If you're looking for some good nature shots I'd recommend saving yourself 10 bucks. Stay home and watch Planet Earth or an AT documentary instead.

Given the sparse attendance reports of these early showings, maybe all the fear (about Wild screwing up the PCT) is a bit misplaced. But maybe word hasn't gotten out yet, or the film hasn't been marketed yet. Who knows...

Early release doesn't get the same advertising.

Does it get the same marketing? Some movie theators only get "their" listed movies.

Occasionally lucid

This week USA Today had a review of "Wild" on Wednesday and a PR piece on Reese Witherspoon/Wild on Thursday. Kind of weird for a limited release film?
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Wild currently has a 92 out of 100 score on the Tomatometer, and got a very positive review in the New York Times and just about every review I've read.

I just saw it in Bethesda, MD (DC area), and was totally mesmerized. I was blown away, actually. It appealed to me on a very personal level as a solo female long-distance hiker and someone who lost her mother at an age not too different from Cheryl Strayed. So it's hard for me to objectively gauge how others without these life experiences might relate to it.

For what this is worth:
    thewrap.com/reese-witherspoons-wild-starts-fast-at-specialty-box-office/

Reese Witherspoon‘s “Wild” got off to a fast start at the specialty box office this weekend, grossing an estimated $630,000 from 21 theaters in seven cities.

That's a impressive $30,000 per-screen average for the Fox Searchlight drama, which was directed by Jean Marc Vallee and written for the screen by Nick Hornby. It's based on the best selling true story written by Cheryl Strayed, “Wild.”

“The film performed well in both art and specialty venues as well as in upscale mainstream complexes indicating to us that it should be able to reach a very broad audience,” said Fox Searchlight sr. vice-president Frank Rodriguez.

There were 16 showings at ArcLight Bethesda today. At 12:45, there were only a dozen or so people (mostly women), but I think that's pretty good for a Sunday matinee. The ticket taker said Wild was in an almost unprecedented 5 of their theaters yesterday (Saturday) and it had a big turnout. It was my first time to the Arclight Bethesda, and yeah, "upscale mainstream complex" is a good description of the theater. It's an hour away from Harpers Ferry, and a world apart.

The character gets a poor grade on Leave No Trace, but her bad practices/mistakes are not glamorized.

I have been thinking Wild could "play" as an "art film" as well as a "cineplex" drama.

I made up the word "cineplex". I think we have all seen a movie complex like that.

I will look at the reviews, you mentioned, because "reviews" may be all I get in the rural place where I live, and, can be reasonably expected to travel (Montana).

My favorite best review so far is USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...view/19156705/

I just got back from seeing the movie. I liked it. It remind me of when I first started my AT hike as a 19 yr old skinny kid being able to lift my backpack up. I have to say, as someone who hiked the PCT the first in 1993 I was carrying about 1/4 of what she was carrying. Her pack look crazy heavy!

As a hiker a lot of the humor I was able but it would be interesting to hear what someone who has not hiked long distance though of the movies.

Wolf

Look at this link: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/wild_2014/

The critic reviews are near the bottom of the page.

These are "city people". Impressive...

Section Hiker

There is a Q&A with Cheryl about the movie in Backpacker magazine, which came in my mail Friday. I suggest reading the article. She was very involved in the film and keeping things authentic. I was impressed with that. Don't know if we can say the same about "A Walk in the Woods..."

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    There is a Q&A with Cheryl about the movie in Backpacker magazine, which came in my mail Friday. I suggest reading the article. She was very involved in the film and keeping things authentic. I was impressed with that. Don't know if we can say the same about "A Walk in the Woods..."
    I too read the article. Very disappointed that most of the movie (the trail part) was not filmed on the PCT and more so that they transplanted non native plants for the filming. Sure hope they removed the plants after filming.

BTW...not showing here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++