WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The PDF resizes and gets into focus better, now, in Adobe Reader in my Android 4.2 and Android 4.4 Apple "Mini" and Apple "Air" size "phablet" tablets.

I don't know, why it did not work well. It does, now.

It lacks, however, much scope for "pinch and zoom".

The Guthook CDT Demo and Montana offline Map, Photos and Data works well for iPod Touch 5G from the start.

It has sufficient scipe for "pinch and zoom".

There is more that needs to be done for Android.

The Guthook CDT Guide, Guthook CDT No. Montana I "tried" are not functioning at all: crashes upon opening.

I did get it to install in the Android 4.2 "Apple Mini" size "phablet" tablet, however, I could not download offline Map or offline Photos. I did download offline Data.

It did not display any "online" Map, Photos, or, Data.

Next, it would not Open. There was a "popup" the app must have Google Play.

Next, I tried to download and install Guthook CDT No. Montana on the Android 4.4 "Kit Kat" "Apple Air" size "phablet" tablet, I think, because I tried after I tried the first.

I think the problem with the Android-version app is relying on Google Play.

BOTTEM LINE:

Google Play is frequently "down" or "freezes".

It is not reliable for any app that needs to download more than a few "kb" to function.

I think more people will want the PDF book and the Guthook apps, because of "Wild" and the other upcomming movie about the AT. This includes people who want only to see a map of the terrain, or, want to follow a hiker.

I think you need your own servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post

The Guthook CDT Guide, Guthook CDT No. Montana I "tried" are not functioning at all: crashes upon opening.
    Connie - I'm not sure about the Android version, but with the Iphone you can only have it installed on one device at a time. If you move it to another device, it will crash on the original device when opening. You can move it around between devices, but it will only work on one of them at a time.

I can only comment on the Colorado Trail map book and only as a casual user of the maps since I used them for informational purposes and never had to navigate using them. They cover the trail corridor extremely well, are clear, detailed and easy to read. However, they only cover the trail corridor and not necessarily nearby peaks. As a result, I didn't find them as useful for identifying landmarks as I did for following along on the trail. Since I purchased my map book in 2012 prior to the updated version containing the rerouted Collegiate West, I purchased the Latitude 40 map which had the Collegiate West updates and didn't carry the map book pages on that section. The Latitude 40 maps are excellent as well but not as detailed in scale and therefore not as useful for navigation. They are, however, superior for identifying landmarks since they offer a wider view of the terrain.

I am not critical of the "corridor" approach of the map book because the focus seems to be on navigation and the map book would either have to be much larger or less detailed to show more ancillary terrain features. So I think it depends on the user's purpose for having maps. If for navigation, then the map book is excellent. If for identifying landmarks and general interest, a wider view might be better.

In any case, I appreciate the work that Bear Creek Surveys puts into the mapping projects and the support for the CT foundation and I'm not sure what all this criticism is really about.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Guthook CDT Demo and Guthook Nor. Montana:

I had it only on one device at a time.

I did not have my iPod Touch ON.

It crashes in Open. I never get past a white screen, with the title of the app at the top line.

Android 4.2 and Android 4.4 both brand new tablets, no other problems.

Both Guthook CDT Demo and Montana offline work right in the iPod Touch 5G 7.2 iOS.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-15-2014 at 19:58.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++