Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Skirt

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    Oh well forget it then
    Sara, what am I gonna do with you.... for you, we will allow the Marilyn Monroe skirt - in 1.7 ripstop uncoated

check out these!!! http://www.macabiskirt.com. i am saving my pennies for one
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

2010 complete

My skirt is by Brooks and I bought it at a running store, Feet Fleet. It has comression shorts. Anyway, I got caught in a rain storm. The skirt repelled the water and dried quickly. The shorts remained dry. I will say that when you wash the skirt, the shorts take longer to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmountaingirl View Post
    That said, if I'm doing something where there is a lot of scrambling (ie Knife Edge on Mt. K), I'll wear shorts just so it's not a XXX hike.
    Thanks for that information. Duely noted.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ms doolittle View Post
    I wear a women's sportkilt from www.sportkilt.com. I love it, but it only has the one hidden pocket (which is small).

and you look nice wearing it
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Has anyone added a skirt to a pair of bike shorts? The plump female dino in compression shorts is not a pretty sight.... I'm thinking a lightweight skirt with some pockets would improve both other hikers' view and the utility of the combo.

Mommy, Wife, Avid Outdoor Enthusiast soulshine26's Avatar

Default Benefits of a hiking skirt?

Yikes! If I tried to hike in a skirt, my thighs would rub together so severely that they'd catch me on fire! Chafing is not a pretty thing.
    But in all seriousness, How does this skirt, work? What are the benefits? I have always worn pants w/ zip off legs.

Images

I like the idea of skirts, but in reality loose shorts work better for me. They have the advantages of a skirt (ease of peeing) with the advantages of shorts (chafing prevention). I keep looking at skirts in catalogs like Title 9 and Road Runner Sports and thinking to myself--having shorts under the skirt is substituting two pieces of clothing for one. So I don't think I'll be skirting around anytime soon.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soulshine26 View Post
    Yikes! If I tried to hike in a skirt, my thighs would rub together so severely that they'd catch me on fire! Chafing is not a pretty thing.
    But in all seriousness, How does this skirt, work? What are the benefits? I have always worn pants w/ zip off legs.
    I wear (hide your eyes fellows) crotchless bike shorts under my skirt for chafe protection and fire prevention . The advantage of the skirt for me is the amount of air that can get up under the skirt to keep the nether region from getting swampy, being able to pee without removing my pack and the extra coverage afforded to my ample hienny. As Marta notes, the skirt is an extra piece of gear. If I was as skinny as Marta, I use loose shorts - loose shorts end up bunching up between my thunder-thighs and causing more problems with chafing than they solve. A skirt over the XXX bike shorts gives me the best of all worlds - lots of air, lots of pockets (in the skirt as bike shorts don't have pockets) and the ability to pee without taking off my pack.

FYI ladies. Ewker really isn't a stalker. He likes to pretend from time to time. No, he had to send me a PM because I haven't slapped him for this comment yet.

So... here ya go, Ewks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    and you look nice wearing it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    If I was as skinny as Marta...
    Oh, please, Lady. Last time I saw you you were skinnier than I am.

I have the bunching/chafing problem with some shorts, too. It's trial and error to find ones that work. Spandex shorts roll up and make tourniquets around the tops of my legs--neither comfortable nor attractive. I'll go around in tights (also not an attractive look on me, but who cares?), but not Spandex shorts.

Ms. Dino, are you still following the LW diet? Is it still working?

I'm about to start the JMT diet. Go for a longish hike in a place poorly supplied with town food. I'll probably gain ten pounds when I get back...to add to the 10 I've gained since reaching Springer.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I've been following the LW diet as much as possible -- however, tons of company, tons of eating out, and many, many snacks with my grand and great-grandkids has derailed the LW diet for the past coupple of weeks. I'm hoping to get back in sync by Thursday. I have a seven yo great-grandson right now, but he's in the shower getting ready for church tonight.

Default New Skirt!

I just got this skirt for hiking a few weeks ago and love it so far. It has lots of strech and wicks well for me. Maybe I just really loved the price.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/759907

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Toes View Post
    I just got this skirt for hiking a few weeks ago and love it so far. It has lots of strech and wicks well for me. Maybe I just really loved the price.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/759907
    OH... Youre one of those "skinny people with great legs" arent you!?!? Its a nice skirt, but I want something just a tad longer... say.... that hits at or just above the knee...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    Anyone have a line on a good, simple pattern for a hiking kilt for a 6'2" guy? I'm sold on using a kilt after stealing my wife's sarong all day. No, I'm not going to call it a skirt!

I got my hubby a Sportkilt - the blue hiking one for Father's Day. He just loved it (wore it the last few weeks while we were in NY to MA). He did have an issue or two with it (of which I won't mention here), so he did use some bodyglide. But I think some of it might be resolved with losing weight which comes naturally with a long distance hike. He was also glad to see several men out there in kilts. Had some interesting questions like "What clan are you from" and of course "Are you Scottish". He did change to shorts in town though, esp in CT.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Source for Hiking Skirts

The best hiking skirts I have found so far are made by a craftsperson in Tucson, Arizona, named Robin Hall. She has a web site at www.athenagarments.com. She doesn't have an online store, but email her if you're interested. I have two of her skirts. They're both made of fast-drying poly/cotton in very pretty prints with velcro closures and the last I heard she was selling them for $35 apiece.

Images

I just get pleated mini skirts from the good will. Put on a baselayer and it works great!

Images

Putting on anything under a skirt defeats the purpose...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by baseballswthrt View Post
    I have long wanted to wear a hiking skirt. Where in the world do you find one? Are there any with pockets? I wear mens hiking pants with zip off legs so I have something to wear no matter what the weather and they have a lot of pockets (which I use). I don't sew, so I need to find one already made.
    There are lots of choices of course, but no one is answering your question, a skirt with pockets! And not just one teeny pocket! I've researched skirts and I can't find one with enough pockets! What's with women's clothing and NO decent pockets?!! That's why I buy men's pants, so I have roomy pockets!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Putting on anything under a skirt defeats the purpose...
    It all just depends on who is behind you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++