WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default So How Do they Make Those Trail Signs

While visiting the facebook A T class of 2016 page I came across this video about how they make trail signs which I thought was rather interesting and thought I'd share.

And since we're on the subject of trail markings, I recall a few trailjournals from this year mentioning that the trail was not clearly mark (white blazes) especially in New England. So, do you think there is room for improvement with more or better white blazes?

When I hiked Amicalola to Neels the trail just before long falls is both the BMT & the AT and is marked with white diamonds instead of white blazes which I found confusing but I figured it out and made it through but I thought they could have done a better job by having both blazes.

National parks and forests use a similar system. I have a couple of salvaged discards at my cabin. Very attractive.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Wonder if AMC sells the old signs?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Answered my own question. They sell them on eBay and some go for over $1,000, way more than I would spend for one!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I am sure the trail maintainers find it difficult striking a balance between keeping the trails well marked, while not reducing the wilderness feel. Personally, I would like to be able to see the next white blaze from the one I am standing at, but that is not always the case. Sometimes the best thing to do if you think you are off course is to look behind you. You may see a white blaze going in the opposite direction. I must say, I do prefer signs with mileage markers. It just makes it easier to plan your water stops and progress. Lastly, I would like to see signs at mountain summits letting you know you have reached the top. I am sure many ultra wilderness people would prefer no signage whatsoever. Everybody is different.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

We (in Mass) rout and paint our signs by hand (w/o that spiffy pantograph). Painting is definitely the most time consuming part. We bring "retired" signs to the ATC Biennial for the AT Museum's fund raising auction. We try post mileage to useful locations (road crossings, shelters, etc.). Summits are not typically signed unless there is important information that needs to be imparted (like fragile habitat or route-finding info). Actually, the Mt Greylock summit is badly undersigned and blazed, is a very developed area (accessible by paved road and full of turons in the summer), and finding locations for signage and blazing is difficult--we actually have several hikers a year get "lost" there.

As to blazes, I think you'll find that 99% of the trail is easy to follow and adequately blazed. With a few weeks of hiking, you'll get a good sense about where the Trail "should" be, and will know pretty quickly you are off trail. Our instructions to maintainers are not to "overblaze" if the route is clearly visible, but not to have blazes out of sight for very long. More importantly, there should be "confirming" blazes more frequently at sharp turns, road and stream crossings and trail junctions. We don't blaze rocks unless there is absolutely no alternative (stone cairns, typically).

If you do have difficulty following the Trail at any point, it's always helpful to report it right away. ATC has the contact info for every club posted on its webpage.

Most importantly, stop looking at your feet when you are hiking

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    While visiting the facebook A T class of 2016 page I came across this video about how they make trail signs which I thought was rather interesting and thought I'd share.

And since we're on the subject of trail markings, I recall a few trailjournals from this year mentioning that the trail was not clearly mark (white blazes) especially in New England. So, do you think there is room for improvement with more or better white blazes?

When I hiked Amicalola to Neels the trail just before long falls is both the BMT & the AT and is marked with white diamonds instead of white blazes which I found confusing but I figured it out and made it through but I thought they could have done a better job by having both blazes.

Neat video, thanks for posting it. You look at those things all the time when you're hiking, it's nice to know how they come to be.

Appreciate the link to the video. On the PA Mid State Trail, its founder Tom Thwaites routed the signs himself for many years in some shop at Penn State (where he was professor of physics). When folks asked him about routing signs, he said: "I'll tell you the first thing." "What's that?" "You need to... know how to spell."

Journal Entries

You only need signs and blazes around trail intersections to be sure you stay on right trail where its possible to get off.

Any where else is not really needed. A lot of people are paranoid they are on wrong trail magically somehow.

Some trails have no blazes. Wilderness areas prohibit it as well so its minimal.

++ New Posts ++