WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ga/NC border

Smile Ga/NC border

I am planning a trip in March. I would like to start at the NC lane and come south. I am new to this. Can anyone tell me the best place for my wife to drop me off?

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

There is a road up in NC tht goes into I wanna say Low Gap? It's right before Standing Indian. You'll have to backtrack about 10 miles to the NC/GA border. Otherwise Dick's Creek Gap is the closest road on the Georgia side of the line. There's no real easy way to start at the state line. If you haven't hiked Georgia before I would start here. It's a good 5-7 hiking south to Springer depending on your speed. I wanna say the state line is 8 miles north of Dick's Creek Gap. Good Luck.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I agree with Almost There. There is access to the trail a few miles over on the NC side of the trail, but you'll have to do more driving on less accessible roads. Head up to Dick's Creek Gap on Hwy 76, about 10 miles east of Hiawassee. The picnic and parking area is pretty obvious. Then head AT north about 7-8 miles to check out the border line and the oak tree, then double back and make your way to Springer.

You'll have about 45 miles until Neel's Gap [AT crosses Hwy 19], where you can buy another load of food for the last 30 miles to Springer [or 38 to Amicalola State Park].

Parking at Dick's Creek is pretty safe too, from my experience. Except for the one time we were sleeping in our car after a late late drive. We woke up to hear a tree, ever... so slowly... leaning... creaking... branches scraping... over our car. It's funny looking back, at least.

Should be a great trip.
    -Mark

Default Heres what I would do

Coming from Powder Springs, the best place for your wife to drop you off is at Dicks Creek which is 11 miles east of Hiawassee. As already mentioned, if you want to touch the state line you will need to hike north for about 8 miles and then turn around.

The second best choice would be to dropped off at Standing Indian Campground in NC. Hike the blue blaze Kimsey Creek trail 3.7 miles to Deep Gap which is about 7 miles north of the state line.

The next best choice would be dropped off at Deep Gap via FS71. This would save you from hiking the Kimsey Creek trail but would require your wife to drive on a (pretty good) forest service road. Kimsey Creek is a nice walk.

There is another option which I would not recommend based on the road conditions last time I was on it. There is a road which gets you within a couple miles or so of the state line on the Georgia side. I would not want my wife to travel on that road solo. Its been a while since I've been on this road, perhaps someone with more recent experience can offer better info.

Images

I wouldn't drive that road anymore. Deep Gap is the best way to get just north of the state line. If you go into Standian Indian Campground you will have to ford some water to get back to the AT, although I hiked the Kimsey Creek trail this past summer, it was actually a great trail to walk, places where the trail was the creek.
    Walking Dead Bear

GAME 2000
    Images

Max, that is Blue Ridge Gap you are thinking of, is 3 trail miles south of the GA/NC border and it is probably not what grumpymutt is looking for since he is new to this and his wife is dropping him off and picking him up(?)... it is a dirt road that is not always in the best of shape and not real easy to find. It is also not clear how much of the trail he wants to hike but I assume he wants to hike between paved road crossings. For reference here is a list of road crossings (paved road crossings for the most part, the USFS Roads are not) for the Georgia AT:

Amicalola Falls SP at GA52; 8.8 miles south of Springer.
    USFS Road 42 parking area; 0.9 miles north of Springer.
    Woody Gap at GA60; 20.0 miles north of Springer.
    Neels Gap at US19; 30.7 miles north of Springer.
    Testnatee Gap at GA348; 36.2 miles north of Springer.
    Hogpen Gap at GA348; 37.1 miles north of Springer.
    Unicoi Gap at GA75; 50.7 miles north of Springer.
    Dicks Creek Gap at US76; 66.8 miles north of Springer.
    *GA/NC border (not a trailhead); 75.4 miles north of Springer.
    Deep Gap, NC at USFS Road 71; 82.4 miles north of Springer.

Maybe this will help him figure out where he wants to go.

Youngblood

Youngblood, thats the one. I mentioned it without giving directions and recommended not using it as a "preemptive strike" in case someone jumped in later and recommended it as it is in fact the closest to the state line. The last time I was there the road was horrible, and as you mention, its not the easiset road to find.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    Youngblood, thats the one. I mentioned it without giving directions and recommended not using it as a "preemptive strike" in case someone jumped in later and recommended it as it is in fact the closest to the state line. The last time I was there the road was horrible, and as you mention, its not the easiset road to find.
    Agreed, I have been on it twice and don't really want to get on it again.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I second Almost There's suggestion to drive to Standing Indian Campground and then take the Kimsey Creek Trail for 4 miles uphill to its intersection with the AT in Deep Gap (actually in the small parking lot at the end of FS71). FS71 intersects with US-64.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thanks Folks.

I'll put in at Dick's Creek.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grumpymutt
    Thanks Folks.I'll put in at Dick's Creek.
    The times I sectioned Georgia I started at Dick's Creek, went north to the shelter (and I'm blanking on it's name...Old Orchard, or something like that?), dropped my pack there and continued to the state line, tagged it then went back to spend the night at the shelter. It makes for an easy first day since about half the walking is done without the backpack.

You could make it even easier by only carrying a supper & breakfast with you, stashing the rest in a hanging food cache near Dicks Creek to pick up on your way back through the next morning.
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 10-24-2005 at 16:32.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Dances, that's a great idea, seeing as the trail is almost all uphill from Plumorchard Gap to the border. Although, no shame in heading south from Dick's Creek, either way it's a great hike.
    Walking Dead Bear

He meant Plum Orchard.

This is probably your best plan for the section you're after.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    He meant Plum Orchard.
    I knew that.

Dammit, I could picture the sign to the shelter, the trail to the shelter and all those campsites, the water source which you have to step across to get to the shelter, the picnic table, and even the people I've met at that shelter. I just could not remember its name.

BTW, doing the hike as I suggested means you'd spend 2/3 of the first day hiking without a pack instead of half.

OK, so I'm bad with names and math. Good thing I'm just a chemical engineer...
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 10-24-2005 at 20:00.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Default Plum Orchard Shelter

There are good hammocking sites on the right between the AT and the shleter, too. When we went in to dig the pad for the mouldering privy there, I read the shelter register. The shelter has bear cables and there were comments from a scout troop who had been there the week before saying that they could pull a smaller scout all the way to the top!

I've done the same hike that DWM describes and its a good way to start a GA southbound.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Images

Lightbulb Check with the Georgia AT Club

Quote Originally Posted by grumpymutt
    I am planning a trip in March. I would like to start at the NC lane and come south. I am new to this. Can anyone tell me the best place for my wife to drop me off?
    Don't forget to check with the Georgia AT Club. They are the EXPERTS on the trail in Georgia. They have a web site you can Google. I found them extraordinarily helpful, not that the folks on here aren't too.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Default Blue Ridge Gap

Hi y'all,

I maintain the AT section from Blue Ridge Gap toward Bly Gap and the NC border. The dirt road to Blue Ridge Gap is quite good. The GATC drove up there for a major work day last weekend (Oct 22).

I would be glad to be helpful in anyway I can to give directions to that area.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    There is a road up in NC tht goes into I wanna say Low Gap? It's right before Standing Indian. You'll have to backtrack about 10 miles to the NC/GA border. Otherwise Dick's Creek Gap is the closest road on the Georgia side of the line. There's no real easy way to start at the state line. If you haven't hiked Georgia before I would start here. It's a good 5-7 hiking south to Springer depending on your speed. I wanna say the state line is 8 miles north of Dick's Creek Gap. Good Luck.
    Almost There,This is deep Gap and where you get off of old 64 it is marked Buck Creek.BTW they have fixed that road nicely up to the Gap now.

I parked my car at Blue Ridge Gap from Sun to Mon and hiked from Unicoi Gap to Blue Ridge Gap courtesy of a shuttle from Josh at the Hiker Hostel...the FS road is steep in places but has been graded and my little Mazda had no trouble with the road...wouldn't want to be on it in a torrential rain or anything but I've seen many other FS roads in much worse shape than this one.

Images

Don't forget the road at Tray Mountain Gap. Free parking. Head south from Unicoi Gap towards Helen and take the 1st FS road on the left.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++