Images

Default rattlers in Ocala NF

I used to hike a lot in Ocala National Forest in the 80's and 90's in the winter. That was before cell phones! If you start at the southern end at Clear Lake and hike north toward Alexander Springs you will cross a gorgeous little flowing creek in about 1 1/2 hours. There is a foot bridge over it. Anyway, I decided to take a nap here so I stretched out in the trail and dozed off. When I woke up I thought a palm tree had fallen across the trail in front of me until it started moving! Holy cow, it was a huge rattlesnake! That scared me so bad I was afraid to even move for a while. The trail comes close to a lot of tall brush where more of those puppies could have been hiding. For a while I considered getting snake guards for my legs but I eventually got over it. I saw another big rattler in the Green Swamp. Surprisingly, I hiked for years in Everglades/Big Cypress and only saw 1 small snake. I liked to hike the trail from Alligator Alley to Tamiami Trail alone before cell phones. At the center a snake bite would have been a serious matter! But I never got bit and I think cell phones have greatly reduced the danger from snake bites. Also, rattlers seem to be reclusive. I would not want to step on one, however. Note, I am not a snake expert and these are just my theories... Angel Apple

Been hiking down here in Florida for more than 30 years and have been bit. I would never trust a cell phone to save my life or a snake bite kit by someone that has no idea how to use it. Just be aware of your surrounding and watch were your walking. Never fall asleep outside of your shelter.
    I don't even own a snake bite kit and hardly ever take my cell phone out backpacking.

Sorry, that should have been never been bit.

Images

i have seen my share of snakes in Florida, mostly pigymy rattlers, copperheads, and moccasins. The most interesting snake I saw was a none venonmous Hog nose snake it mimics a cobra it was really interesting to watch its antics.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I've seen more copperheads on the FT in Torreya State Park than anywhere else, it's a prime habitat for copperheads in the southeast. They are masters of camoflague. Also run into a fair number of water moccasins in areas where the orange blaze trail runs right along the edge of some wetland creeks.

This is why I never hike with ear buds in. The best thing about rattles is the built in warning system.

Images

How ironic ! I just got back from a over night hike in that section. On the way back to Clearwater Lake my wife and I stopped at that very stream and footbridge for lunch. Didn't see any snakes there or anywhere else on our trip. But good to know that they are still out there.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

++ New Posts ++