WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "The Lookout" Cabin

Hey all,

(Hope this is the right sub-forum for this. If not, feel free to move. I realize the "The Lookout" Cabin isn't an official shelter.)

Some friends and I are planning a weekend winter backpacking trip this January and I thought of returning to "The Lookout" Cabin, between Winturri and Stony Brook Shelters. My girlfriend and I loved staying here during our thruhike this past year and what to share the place with friends.

I thought that maybe since its a privately owned, enclosed cabin, it might get locked for the winter.... does anyone know if its open year round or not?

Thanks!,

Junco - NOBO2014

It's probably not locked, but good luck getting there. You'll need snowshoes for sure. And maybe a shovel if you have to dig out the snow to get the door open.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just FYI,

My friends and I spent the night at the Lookout cabin a few days ago. It was open. Doesn't seem like they lock it up in the winter. Was a great place to stay to provide dry shelter from the wind. Had a really fun overnight... still was super freezing cold though
    Junco

AT 2014 / NET 2016 / PCT 2016 / and more at: http://gcappalachia.blogspot.com/

++ New Posts ++