WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Poor Experiance with REI

Some of you may know that I am getting ready for a Thru-hike in March and that I'm collecting my gear that I need. The next item on my list of stuff I needed was a new light weight tent. So I did some research and I found that the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 was the tent that would work. It cost around $400 with tax which is a quite a bit of money for me but I knew that it was a good brand and it was something I will be using quite a bit. I decided to purchase the tent through REI because that was where I've been getting a lot of my gear and I like their membership discounts and what not. I bought the tent on Sunday night and it arrived Christmas eve. I had decided that I would wait and open it in the morning so it would seam like I had more gifts then I actually did. The next morning I was all excited because it was something I was very much looking forward to. When I opened it I noticed the steaks had dry mud all over them and the tent had leafs in it and a small hole in the tent fly. I was very disappointed in REI for sending me a obviously used tent. If I'm going to spend $400 of my hard earned money on a tent I at least want it to be brand new! But any way I'm most likely going to go through Big Agnes or Moosejaw when they send me my money back.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

They're a decent store, but there's a reason that a lot of people call it: Returns and Exchanges International.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cthomasy View Post
    When I opened it I noticed the steaks had dry mud all over them and the tent had leafs in it and a small hole in the tent fly. I was very disappointed in REI for sending me a obviously used tent. If I'm going to spend $400 of my hard earned money on a tent I at least want it to be brand new! But any way I'm most likely going to go through Big Agnes or Moosejaw when they send me my money back.
    Not sure how long you've been dealing with REI, but I've been a customer/ member for a decade and have gotten nothing but helpful and attentive service from them. If you take your tent to a store or contact them online or via telephone, with your membership info and/or receipt, I expect they will fix your problem very quickly with profuse apologies. They're a very good company, one of the best in my experience.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    They're a decent store, but there's a reason that a lot of people call it: Returns and Exchanges International.
    Or Really Expensive Investment. But I do have to agree with Diver8, contact them and most likely they will make things right.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Not sure how long you've been dealing with REI, but I've been a customer/ member for a decade and have gotten nothing but helpful and attentive service from them. If you take your tent to a store or contact them online or via telephone, with your membership info and/or receipt, I expect they will fix your problem very quickly with profuse apologies. They're a very good company, one of the best in my experience.
    i have been dealing with REI for about a decade also and have had nothing but positive experiences. I agree with Driver8, if you take this to an REI store with your receipt and membership info I feel confident they will make it right without question. Good luck! By the way the Copper Spur is an excellent tent and I think you will be pleased with your Christmas gift.

Looks like a mistake in a busy warehouse. They will happily take it back.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    My first thought.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Same thought here. Always great service and returns taken with no problems and a smile.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Okay thanks every one for your thoughts! I did end up calling REI and they were more then happy to help me out and give me my money back. Like a few of you said it was probably just a little mix up, I can't think of a reason that they would do it on purpose! I do really like REI and I haven't had problem in the past, I was just a little disappointed that it didn't come perfect. But anyway I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Its odd that that one slipped through, but in years of dealing with REI, they've always been good. Frustrating as it is, don't take it personally. I'd do the exchange through REI. Big Agnes goes for full retail pretty much everywhere you look and at least if you are an REI member, you'll get the 10% dividend, something you won't get through Moosejaw or Big Agnes.

Retailers with generous return policies can be a double edged sword. Their prices generally aren't the lowest and reflect the cost of the return policy passed along to the consumer. Also, every now and then, something comes back that shouldn't be put back in stock. Zappos (Amazon) seems to be especially bad. Once I opened a box of what should have been new cross trainers and found someone's old sneakers. On another occasion, I bought two pair of workout shorts. One was fine and the other was a pair of basketball shorts (at least they were new...). These things happen - the real test is how the retailer handles it. REI shouldn't be a problem.

Journal Entries

Ive gotten things like that before, so I carefully check boxes to make sure they have never been opened before buying from brick/mortar stores.

Many people return things to stores after trying them, or using them, tape the box up and say they changed their mind.

Sometimes opened packages are sold by places like REI n their garage sales, if they dont appear to have been opened they go back into stock with little inspection at many places, especially Walmart. Or, stupid employees mix up broken items with NIB returns. I returned broken item to Walmart before, and later found it back on the shelf a couple days later.

Some stores send opened packages back to vendor, and wont resell a package that has been opened. One advantage of blister packaged items is you know if it has been opened.

Images

as much as i like REI fairly liberal return policy-----ive found i can get a better deal/price elsewhere if i spend a few minutes looking around...

for example---i bought a new Fly Creek 2 with footprint for around 280 about a year and a half ago..........

Journal Entries

I have bought a few items like sleeping pads, from LLBean instead of REI, as they have lifetime return policy as well, and were 20% off with free shipping at the time. In general, REI doesnt have anything Im interested in, except the return policy. Which is still pretty good, but somewhat neutered now.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ditto... I have bought there for years with great experiences, after a small disaster with EMS, when they could not make it right. REI has been wonderful and I still occasionally walk thru EMS still. You won't see me at a Dick's Sporting goods ever!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I usually shop at REI only with the 20% periodic discount. As a result, I get a very small dividend if at all. Most of the time if you are sure about what you want there are better deals online. But REI can't be beat for the return policy and they run a good operation overall. Just be aware that paying full price for items at REI, even with the 10% dividend, isn't always the best deal and that you are partially paying for a return privilege that may be unnecessary.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Annually someone posts "I will never shop again at...." or retail sucks..... It takes a lifetime to understand that a bunch of holidays and birthdays hitting all at once can be stressful. I just spent a month visiting some 5-6 customers a day, six days a week and they from all walks of life. Clearly some are happy and a few need a lump of coal in their hiking sock. Stuff happens....

On a side note Ashley - a future hiker is 4 years old today and is just happy to give me kisses on her birthday. I however made Brownies with a chocolate & cream cheese sauce.

well I ws going to add a cool pic... and the loader failed....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

wow, I have never heard of such flim flam from REI. That is shabby to sell you a used tent at those kind of prices. Return it and ask for a manager to report the complaint.

Images

Looks like a mistake in a busy warehouse.
    Maybe not even REI's. Could've been Big Agnes' warehouse/supplier.

I've been an REI member since 1976 and had a daughter work at three different REIs. I consider them a great retailer and they commonly get very high ratings nationally from industry and consumer groups for good reason.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Agree with Rain Man and others..... I'm a fan and shopper there for years and years. I don't buy everything from them but what I do is either what I expected or they make it right.
    2000 miler......long sections Summited July 2015

I have constantly had good experience with REI. I like their branded gear also.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++