WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Total Cost?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries

Arrow Total Cost?

I spent around $6,000 this year. What about you guys? Just curious. Had a lot of fun, but there is about a $1,000 worth of amateur mistakes with gear, 4 pairs of shoes, and a 3 day vacation into NYC.

Garlic
    Images

On my thru in 2008, I budgeted $5000 but "only" spent $3500. I was pleased with how smoothly it went. It was my first AT hike, but I'd hiked other long trails before. The AT hike only took 3.5 months so there was the cost savings. I thought the AT terrain would slow down my normal pace, but it did not. With the easier logistics, I actually hiked a little faster than normal.

I bought four pairs of shoes, too. And I splurged on nice motels and meals in towns fairly often by my standards. I am a middle-aged guy with a credit card, after all.

From what I've seen, $1000/month is fairly normal. The budgeting difficulty, especially for a first-time hiker, could be predicting one's pace.

this sounds about right, after transportation and gear $6000 sounds about right. on my 06 thru I spent a total of $4800 and that's everything and then on my 2012 thru I spent a total of $5700. I don't want to talk about what I spent on my 96 Flip-Fop.
    so after they way cost of everything is rising I wouldn't budget any less than $6000 TOTAL for a AT thru-hike.

theirs another thread here on WB about finances on a thru-hike but that guys numbers just don't match up. theirs something funny about it.

On my 2015 PCT thru i am budgeting a TOTAL of $8000.

Journal Entries

I had to get off in Damascus, suspending my SOBO attempt, due to lack of funds. I had budgeted $5000, but unexpected expenses at home (and profligate spending between ME and VA: a visit from my gf and side-trip with her to NYC) left me with under $1000 to make it to Springer. My need for a new winter bag and an earlier than usual winter, which would require more hostels and hotels for the remaining high country, stressed me out to where I didn't think I could enjoy my finish.

My lack of foresight and planning doomed an otherwise awesome trip. I encourage you all to plan more and have a reserve fund, so you don't end up bitterly disappointed like me.

(I do plan on finishing SOBO this April/May, but I wasn't planning a section hike.)

--Spinoza
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Journal Entries

I spent $10,000 and loved every dollar spent. I never made an attempt to be frugal. I highly recommend it if you have the means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I spent $10,000 and loved every dollar spent. I never made an attempt to be frugal. I highly recommend it if you have the means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is also what I did. Budgeted for 10k and planned for lower, but things kind of get away from you. Glad I didn't have to stress about a really low budget

Images

Hey Digger! Its Miss America...yep, thats what I spent, but Im taking half that this time. No more messing around!
    It will all be okay in the end. If not, it's not the end. ~ Unknown

I start my thru hike next year(2016) and am more excited than words can describe! I feel very blessed to have the time, the funds and the love and support of my wonderful family and loving spouse...all of whom I will miss more than I can imagine!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

The best $11,500 that I have ever spent!

++ New Posts ++