WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    ... @Shutterbug: I love my Nikon 18-200 VR lens, but I only haul that beast on short day hikes. Even then I find it a pain. The lens keeps extending by itself as I walk and clunks into things. I know, I need to figure out how to strap a camera case to my front pack straps.
    A few years ago, I set a goal of getting a good bear picture. I quickly learned that one can't get a good close up of a bear with the camera in the back pack. I hiked the Wonderland with my camera on a strap around my neck. I didn't like the weight around my neck. A couple of years ago, I came up with the idea of just hanging a camera case from the straps. I just did a rim to rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon with my camera. It worked well.

You can see my pictures at http://www.davemcclung.com
    Shutterbug

Inspector Gadget

I carry my Nikon D90 and 18-105mm lens on my section hikes and day hikes. I don't bother with any fancy carrying case. I just shove it into the "brain" of my pack. It's very easy to just reach back over my head and unzip the compartment to retrieve the camera. No need to take the pack off. I have a small dry sack that I will put it in when it rains. I also often carry a tripod for group shots and astrophotography. I just stick it one of the water bottle pouches and tighten the side straps around it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    I have been using a Pentax compact optima 60 and a stick pick with great results. I had a pocket made by Chris Zimmerman that goes on my chest strap, is water proof with a double pull zipper so is it right where I need it always. I have been kicking around a fx camera with a 10 or12mm wide angle for this year but wide angles lens are expensive. Best of luck.
    Well just upgraded to an Olympus Tough Series TG-4 that shoots in RAW, is waterproof, shockproof to 2.1 meters and handles cold to 14*f it is 16MP and goes from off to focused and shooting in about a second. It has some nice software on board for panoramic shots setup with in cam stitch among other things.

Given the weight of serious photo gear, it might be wise to see what the ultra light crowd is doing to save weight elsewhere.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by connor401 View Post
    I carry my Nikon D90 and 18-105mm lens on my section hikes and day hikes. I don't bother with any fancy carrying case. I just shove it into the "brain" of my pack. It's very easy to just reach back over my head and unzip the compartment to retrieve the camera. No need to take the pack off. I have a small dry sack that I will put it in when it rains. I also often carry a tripod for group shots and astrophotography. I just stick it one of the water bottle pouches and tighten the side straps around it.
    I bought these in 2013. I remain very happy with this system.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1445591
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I got a large fanny pack with a deep center pocket and strap it onto the outside of my pack so my left hand can reach into the pocket and fetch the DSLR. I can keep the pocket unzipped and the camera rides in it very well and I can cover it up with the rain cover for the pack very easily. The added advantage is I can use it with any of my packs or take it off for a quick foray to a view that I don't want to be burdened by a pack.

I can keep another lens or two in the kit along with filters, spare batteries and most everything I need.

Take a mirrorless system.

On my last 200 mile stretch (TN-NC) I went ultralight so I could spare the weight for the perfect AT camera: Hasselblad SWC plus a tripod and cable release. I walked many miles with the SWC mounted on the tripod… got some great shots.

Images

Default Good Point and Shoot. Panny FZ300

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenGoldhorn View Post
    I am a photographer who is planning an upcoming thru hike. I was just wondering how other photographers went about carrying their camera/lenses/tripod while on the trail. I was also wondering if you kept the camera in your backpack at all times, because it seems a little annoying to constantly have to put down and pick up my 40 pound pack every time I want to shoot.

Thanks in advance!
    I started off with 4 lens and sent my camera and lens home about 35 miles into my hike and continued with the Panasonic FZ50. Since then I have owned the 150, 200, and 250. The FZ300 is available now. They are great cameras for wide angle and have plenty of reach. You can get a teleconverter if you want a little extra reach and I would also consider a neutral density filter for waterfalls. You can check out photos and reviews on the panasonic section in the forums on www.dpreview.com

I use a Sony NEX 5R and take 35mm f2.8 and 12mm f2 lenses, and Pedco UltraPod II (tabletop tripod). My pack is a ULA Catalyst. For the camera and lens I use para-cord and carbiners to hang a lens case, and holster style camera case from the packs hip belt pockets, the little tripod I attach to one of the shoulder straps with it's velcro leash.

I wish someone would make a pack with a quiver pocket on either one of the sides, or the back, so I could carry a full sized tripod, and get at it without removing the pack.

I use an Olympus Tg4. Great hiking features, compass, altimeter, etc. and even shoots raw.

Anyone use the Canon SX50?
    I just bought one after witnessing a friend's and the amazing zoom level.
    Not as big as an SLR too and shoots RAW (which I am going to learn to work with once it comes)
    Another question for you pros: What software are you using for RAW?
    I have photoshop but an old version and my friends uses Lightbox but THAT costs money monthly (I don't do "bills")
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++