WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    GPS is nice. I plan on getting on soon, but I would still have a map and compass with me. I you can't read and use a map and compass the how can you understand what the GPS is telling you?
    Im not advocating gps, just saying a compass is of little utility sometimes.
    Many times you need to be able to see distictive landmarks to determine your position. This doesnt work in the trees, in between mountain ridges without a notable peak in sight, etc. Ive been unable to detetmine my position many times. Even though i knew about whete i was.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like using a GPS with a built-in map because it can tell you where you are. However, because a GPS could potentially fail at any time (anything from dead batteries to simple electronic failure), you need a map and compass for backup, and you should always have a basic idea of where you are at all times so that you can utilize a map and compass for if/when the GPS fails.

I once gave some detailed tips here on using map & compass, from my 35 years as a geologist. A few months later I picked up Outside magazine and I was surprised to find exactly the same information in one of their articles. It was too close to be a coincidence.

Basically you need a topo map, a compass that has sighting capability, a pencil, and a plastic C-thru protractor. To find your location, sight at least two identifiable landmarks at close to right angles. Use those bearings to draw lines from the landmark towards your location on the paper map. Your location is where the pencil lines cross. If you are still in doubt, add a few more bearings. In addition, altitude, based on an altimeter, helps to limit the possibilities of where you might be on the map. In some cases you might only need one bearing from a mapped landmark, and your location is where it crosses your contour line that you identified from your altimeter.

So theres some more material for the magazines to copy and sell… since the authors haven't had enough life experience to know this stuff.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I once gave some detailed tips here on using map & compass, from my 35 years as a geologist. A few months later I picked up Outside magazine and I was surprised to find exactly the same information in one of their articles. It was too close to be a coincidence.

Basically you need a topo map, a compass that has sighting capability, a pencil, and a plastic C-thru protractor. To find your location, sight at least two identifiable landmarks at close to right angles. Use those bearings to draw lines from the landmark towards your location on the paper map. Your location is where the pencil lines cross. If you are still in doubt, add a few more bearings. In addition, altitude, based on an altimeter, helps to limit the possibilities of where you might be on the map. In some cases you might only need one bearing from a mapped landmark, and your location is where it crosses your contour line that you identified from your altimeter.

So theres some more material for the magazines to copy and sell… since the authors haven't had enough life experience to know this stuff.
    When you use three bearings, you are generally inside the triangle they create.

If you are on a trail, you are where that single bearing crosses the trail

Its worth noting that when determining positions this way, declination is not a consideration. Ie its as simple as it gets. If a lanmark is 90 degree from you, you draw line 270 from the landmark on map
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-28-2014 at 18:02.

Thanks for all the great info!
    Any suggestions for a certain compass or are they all pretty easy to read/accurate ? Sounds like a lot of people put them on their watches or pack straps.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I took a map and compass course in RI with the Narragansett chapter of the AMC. We did a f/x using 10ft contours. But the basics applied to any future jaunts.
    The class only cost the price of the materials.

Sure there is something similar in the area you can
    make use of.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have the Suunto Clipper for my pack strap.
    http://m.rei.com/product/857612/suun...l-b-nh-compass

I have the Suunto M9 Wrist Compass, with sighting slot.
    http://m.rei.com/product/408083/suun...-wrist-compass

I have never needed more.

This type compass may help learn how to use map and compass.
    http://m.rei.com/product/727086/suunto-a-10-compass

Magnetic deviation isn't so important on the AT. It's only a few degrees.
    But, out west, it is something that needs to be adjusted for to be anywhere near accurate.
    It is 12 or 13 degrees east now out in CA.
    I believe when I hiked the PCT, back in '96, it was more like 16 or 17.
    So it does change.

Somewhere around the Mississippi river is where it is close to zero, with a west deviation on the AT and east on the west coast.

I've been quite shocked to learn that many people don't have a clue when it comes to compass reading.
    I had to tell people quite a few times that the red needle points to the north.

After that it's basically common sense.
    Lay your map down on the ground, and find the part of your map that shows magnetic north.
    Then line up your map so that that arrow is the same as the red end of your compass.
    That's a good start anyway.

But basically, all i use a compass for anymore is: After I get the bearing of the direction I'm traveling in from my GPS, then I dial that number to the arrow on the compass and line up the red needle with the red arrow and follow that to save batteries on the GPS.

Then turn it on every few hours to check it and make adjustments.
    That's basically for bushwhacking, or above treeline, or snow travel (what I call fun).

Mostly just go out there and experiment. (and learn)
    Have fun!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

How much magnetic deviation is there in Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    How much magnetic deviation is there in Maine?
    Check out this site: www.magnetic-declination.com
    Click anywhere in the world to get the deviation.
    Looks like Maine has a large one at 16 deg west.

It changes everywhere (a little bit) all the time.
    Keeps it interesting.

Images

21 degrees west. It's 26 degrees east in Alaska. That's how much it varies across the continent!

Quote Originally Posted by wi11ow View Post
    Any suggestions for a certain compass or are they all pretty easy to read/accurate ? Sounds like a lot of people put them on their watches or pack straps.
    Yes, my chief suggestion is don't get or rely on the small key chain type compass/thermometer combinations you can find at retailers. Small they are, but they can be highly inaccurate even using them for the four cardinal directions. We had an experience a few week ago, several people had arrived independently at a likely location for a break. As conversation about gear started up, it turned to these teeny compasses and their relative accuracy. There were five of these things among the group, each of them reading incorrectly, some reading over 120 degrees off when compared to a decent compass and a GPS type compass. Buy a good compass thats usable for orienteering like the Suunto A-10, M-3D, or MC-2 model compasses.

Images

I received my map and compass training in the Army and thought it was pretty goog until two summers ago when two friends and I decided to hike the "Long Range Traverse" in Newfoundland. I did a few hours of going over my M/C skills in preperation. First let me describe in Long Range Traverse across the Long Range Mountains. There are no trails, only caribou paths across the tundra. The tundra consists of swamps, many lakes, medium height fir trees, and a pretty much impenetrable 8 to 10 foot brush called "Tuckamore". There are six remote campsites with platforms and bear boxes which were air lifted in place years ago. Hiking the LRT requires an hours boat ride to the drop off point at the end of Great Western Pond. They only allowed 6 people a day to start the trail, and you had to pass a pretty difficult map and compass test before they would sell you a permit. Once up on the traverse I soon found out that my map and compass skills were well tested by this hike.

Thankfully we didn't get lost, found all our tent sites, and didn't need to be rescued through use of the locater beacon they make you carry. There is a tremendous difference between sitting at home practicing map and compass and actually needing to do it while standing surrounded by wilderness with no other option.

http://www.hikebiketravel.com/31904/...orne-np-day-1/Money Shot best.jpg
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

I use a map and compass for planning and navigation where I hike (not the AT).

I use my GPS to track my trip, showing actual mileage, elevation change, and to mark important features. It's the geek in me to see how close I came to my estimated distance, etc. The GPS is only used as a backup during the day and rarely consulted. However, the compass and GPS gets more use during night hiking although I generally only night hike in familiar areas.

Where I hike, the trails are not blazed. Also, I spend a lot of time off trail.

Here is your local Orienteering club. <<Click that

Here is a great video to watch.
    CLICK THIS
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Plenty of classes offered at REI, EMS, LL bean to learn the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by wi11ow View Post
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/compass.html

No, not all compasses are equally accurate whether they be a feature on a wristwatch or handheld. Some of those bubble gum machine type cheap compasses can vary wildly being inaccurate enough to cause problems. I've been down that road. Likewise, they can be good enough on the AT hiking during typical thru-hiking season especially if you already have AT maps in hand and want general compass unneeded exact headings.

Think about having a compass attached to a backpack. That's not the best place for it if you really are trying to locate yourself or find your way on a map. Personally, when I HAVE TO find my way not on any defined well blazed trail in the snow, misty fog, deep canyons, deeply forested woods with limited sight lines, in flat rather featureless desert environments, etc I want a quality compass, AND THE SKILLS TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT, as my life may depend on it. Under those situations I may even back up my map and compass orienteering with a GPS unit. When I'm needing to orient in those situations a Suunto hung around my neck secured on a lanyard under my shirt close at hand is where it's kept.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=comp...Qmc3JzaXplPTMw

Another obvious (to most) thing you should know about compass use is to hold it level (flat) and away from any metal that might interfere with the magnet that keeps that red arrow pointing north.
    Also, not close to the ground as sometimes there are minerals in the ground that can affect it.
    I remember an old hiker telling us that that was what was screwing up our compass readings once on the PCT and there were about 7 of us there.
    We all got out our compasses and although they were all close (in readings) to each other, they were not all exactly the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++