WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Video: "Sticking To It ~ The Appalachian Trail Odyssey"

After years of being on the back-burner, I finally uploaded "Sticking To It - The Appalachian Trail Odyssey" to youtube. Created by Suzanne Stroh and Mark Scherer Higbie, it combines photos with thru-hiker audio interviews, and kind of serves as the class video for AT 1991, my first season in the trail community. It was a big inspiration for the PCT class DVD series that started 13 years later, as well as my AT and ALDHA videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTUfO6Ivtc

enjoy!
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." -- Helen Keller

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice that this video does not focus on partying as some do.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Love seeing people having good clean fun. Love the 90's clothing

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by weathercarrot View Post
    After years of being on the back-burner, I finally uploaded "Sticking To It - The Appalachian Trail Odyssey" to youtube. Created by Suzanne Stroh and Mark Scherer Higbie, it combines photos with thru-hiker audio interviews, and kind of serves as the class video for AT 1991, my first season in the trail community. It was a big inspiration for the PCT class DVD series that started 13 years later, as well as my AT and ALDHA videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTUfO6Ivtc

enjoy!
    lotsa familiar faces. i remember Suzanne well. i wonder if she's brewing beer?

That was great thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I enjoyed watching that.

Images

WeatherCarrot,

What a great 'retro' AT documentary. I think I have enjoyed this video more than just about any other AT documentary. A great collection of thoughtful hikers who spoke, very profound. There is another AT documentary recently posted on Whiteblaze that emphasized more the 'party' aspect of the trail and I found that video a little depressing. This video was very uplifting. Perhaps there is a generational difference in today's thru-hikers?

Also, I thought the song selection was great too, but maybe that is because I'm an old fart.

Thank you for posting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post

Perhaps there is a generational difference in today's thru-hikers?
    I think it's more a matter of what the film maker chooses to focus on. There are some new AT documentaries out there that have a more quiet, introspective flow to them. There are some generational differences, but I don't think they are as dramatic as one might think. I believe it's a volume thing as much as a generational thing. If we had the same number of thru-hikers in 1991 as we have today, the "party" aspect would have been a much bigger topic of conversation then as well.

++ New Posts ++