WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another devoted fan of the ULA Circuit.

HMG windrider 2400. Fits me like a glove and carries weight like a champ.

I placed the order for HMG Summit w/accessory pocket, my new favorite?

I usually have a cheap Jan Sport for day (or two) hikes and will be getting an Osprey Kyte for my first Thru.
    20% cooler in 10 seconds flat!

Connie, I was going to buy a zero for a new day and sul pack but HMG packs just fit to good. I'll be buying a summit also in the near future.

Zpacks ArcBlast has been my favorite pack so far.

I'm not seeing any love here for the Granite gear Crown which doesn't give me a good feeling. i just ordered one from REI and it hasn't even arrived yet. I bought it with the idea of a thru hike of the LT or a section hike of the AT of equivalent distance in mind. I have an 25+ year old Gregory pack that weighs about 5 or 6 lbs I'm guessing. Loved it but looking to lighten my base weight. Seems like the ULA Circuit and a couple of the Osprey packs are pretty popular

I know someone who has that particular back panel pack. His pack-love convinced me to get a back panel pack like that. It is so comfortable. It is a different experience carrying a backpack with that back panel.

I like it so much I am backpacking my JetBoil, previously relegated to Rest Stops on cross-country driving trips or enroute to trailheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I know someone who has that particular back panel pack. His pack-love convinced me to get a back panel pack like that. It is so comfortable. It is a different experience carrying a backpack with that back panel.

I like it so much I am backpacking my JetBoil, previously relegated to Rest Stops on cross-country driving trips or enroute to trailheads.
    What pack are you referring to Connie?

Journal Entries

ULA Catalyst / or Circuit for me
    2000 miler......long sections Summited July 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Thinspace View Post
    I'm not seeing any love here for the Granite gear Crown which doesn't give me a good feeling. i just ordered one from REI and it hasn't even arrived yet.
    Oh man, you didn't really order that pack did you?

Kidding. =D

He had the prototype before it was called the Crown.

He was a REI expert.

I needed a waterproof backpack. The Timbuk2 Tres Especial 2014 backpack has a formed back panel. I tried it. I am happy I did. It easily carries lumpy items, like the JetBoil. I will use that waterproof backpack for section hiking the Pacific Northwest Trail.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-08-2015 at 17:16.

Images

Default Osprey Men's Aether 70 Backpack - $215.84 on Amazon Nov 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    He had the prototype before it was called the Crown.

He was a REI expert.

I needed a waterproof backpack. The Timbuk2 Tres Especial 2014 backpack has a formed back panel. I tried it. I am happy I did. It easily carries lumpy items, like the JetBoil. I will use that waterproof backpack for section hiking the Pacific Northwest Trail.
    Mine: Osprey Men's Aether 70 Backpack - $215.84 on Amazon Nov 2014
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

I've been rocking a green 2014 jam50 I got off their site for about half off, last spring. I like it quite a lot thus far, though I added a stiffer frame sheet after my first section hike w/it (~81 miles/4 days). I've loaded it with five days of food & requirements for just over a hundred mile hike, and it worked well w/that too. When I put my high wind, cold-cold (single digit to sub-zero) weather stuff in it, it does start getting small. And gear plus five days of food/snacks was about all I'd want to carry in it also I think.
    I've been eyeballing the ULAs, GGs, & ArcBlasts a bit lately. I'm imagining better carrying (maybe), slightly more capacity (more food! or COLD weather gear), with a negligible weight penalty... We'll see, lol. For now though, it's my green JamFiddy! I've got hundreds of miles on it and it works well for me.

u.w.

The new Seekoutside unaweep has quickly become my favorite pack.
    http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/
    It is a 3 pound pack that can compress for day loads or carry an expedition amount of gear with no functional limitation on what weight it can carry but still be as comfortable as any internal frame pack with 20 pounds in it.

The one I just made, until I walk with it for a bit and come up with another design improvement and make another.
    Sometimes I wish I didn't make gear.

Images

I've got several thousand miles on my Granite Gear Crown VC60. This pack carried very well with the volume of water I needed last fall for 600 miles sobo on the AZT where carrying capacity is an issue due to the need to carry as much as 2 gallons (16 pounds) of water along with other gear. It's pretty comfortable up to about 35 pounds.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I've got several thousand miles on my Granite Gear Crown VC60. This pack carried very well with the volume of water I needed last fall for 600 miles sobo on the AZT where carrying capacity is an issue due to the need to carry as much as 2 gallons (16 pounds) of water along with other gear. It's pretty comfortable up to about 35 pounds.
    That's reassuring to me. I received my pack and loaded it up with some weight, adjusted everthing and it seems very comfortable. Can't wait to try it out on the trail!

ULA circuit! My husband and I both used them on our thru and they are still in great shape!

Aarn Natural Balance. Love it so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++