WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What kind of footwear does everyone use?

Hey guys, I'm preparing for a 2016 NoBo Thru that'll start somewhere between the mid-February to early March window. I've been on several week to three week long trips and have always just used my chaco sandals with socks. My question is, would this be okay for a thru-hike or should I look elsewhere? On top of that, if I am to look elsewhere, what has worked for all of you? Right now, my experience with boots is extremely limited, so all opinions are welcome. Thanks, guys.

Sandals in Feb or March? I don't think so. Get some real boots. Gortex lined is a good choice for that time of year. You'll be hiking in mud and snow and slush and ice and rain often near or below freezing. If you don't keep your feet happy, which means warm and dry, your not going far.

If you want to hike in sandals, wait until at least until May to start.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I tend to agree with boots if your start is in early spring/late winter. You can change them out for hiking shoes when it warms a bit. As for sandals on the trail, there are some sections that they will probably work well on, especially when the weather warms, but I cannot imagine using them in PA for instance, so hiking shoes/boots will be nice to have periodically.

Journal Entries

Wear trail runners and start in April.

Until u hike a 100 mile section in sandals would I consider that a serious choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I have always used Trail Runners right now I am using a pair Salomon Ultra GTX, in the warmer summer months I have used Teva Sandals which is great for hiking in only in SUMMER.

I was planning on getting boots for winter and only hiking in sandals when weather would permit. My question is, more specifically, what kind of boots? Brand, model, etc? I've never really dealt with boots before. I have used a pair of trail runners when the colder months have come in, but I figured that something that is made for durability and (of course) water proof would suit me more wholly than just the trail-runners and Chacos. However, I have no idea where to begin to look for quality boots. I've never really needed to look for them before.

Images

I've seen people hiking in Chacos in the winter. Get a pair of warm socks and maybe some Gortex socks to go on top (or neoprene.) You have a couple of months of cold wet weather to figure it out

If you decide on shoes, I like Goretex trail runners in the winter, then mesh trail runners in warm weather, though you'll switch back to Chacos probably. You might take a look at Salomon, Inov-8, that sort of thing.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I use the Saloman Quest GTX4 but I also hike normally in the high sierra so a heavier pack is normal due to our bear can rules. I have bad feet so a better arch and ankle support are better for me.

Just bought a pair of Brooke Cascadias (think the 7's - on sale because the 8's are out now). Never worn trail runners hiking before but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I made the switch from Salomon Quest GTX4s to trail runners a couple of years ago, and will never go back to boots. I have worn Brooks Cascadia 7's for the past couple of years and just broke in a pair of Cascadia 8's this past weekend.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

X2 on Cascadia. My pair of 8's made it from NY to Springer on my thru this year with barely one hole starting on the sides.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Everyone has their own brand/style preference. There are a daunting number of brands and types of boots to chose from. Popular brands are Salomon, Merrell, Scarpa, Vasque and a few others. Personally, I find Scarpa boots fit my feet the best. Be ready for sticker shock since hiking boots/shoes are insanely expensive for what you get.

The best thing to do is go to an REI or good outdoor shop and try on different boots/shoes until you find ones which fit well. Unfortunately, no matter how good a shoe feels in the store, you have no idea how well it work on the trail until you get out there. But as a young person, you have a lot of leeway as you probably haven't trashed your feet as much as us older folks have.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I am also planning a NOBO 2016 thru, md Feb or Mar 1, and I am leaning toward the Keen Durand as they have a wider toe box than the Merrell's. I like the mid height boot. I am an avid hiker now and have done several backpacking trips in Merrell's but have found my feet have changed and the boots are now a little tight. If you haven't checked out the HOKA trail shoe it might be worth a look. I run in them now an my feet are always happy. They have a very good sole on the shoe and are a good hiker in warm weather.

I have worn Salomon's I like.

I think this time, either Merrill Women's Siren Sport 2 or Five Ten Guide Tennie.

I always choose a low-cut hiking shoe. I look for lateral stability, narrow heel, low volume hiking shoe.

These are shoe terminology. Feet are different. It helps to know the right description of footwear.

I also look at the front end of the hiking shoe: is it quite straight from the ball of the foot. This does not force the big toe over to the side. This is better for foot placement.

In the store, I pull my heel back and lace up. I try on both shoes. I walk around. I stand on an incline provided. If not provided, I ask if I can stand on the curb outside the store. I need to find out if my foot slides foreward inside the shoe. I need to know if my toes will hit the end of the shoe, or, rub inside. I do not rely on a "shoe stretcher". For one thing, some synthetic materials will not stretch.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-30-2014 at 15:27.

Good video here, recommending the Brooks Cascadia 9 trail runners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anDsTytUEGk

Yup...ordered Cascadia 10s today, and hope I can find them on closeout a year from now so I can order multiple pairs for my thru hike. Gave up on waterproof/heavy hiking boots/shoes...I just can't find a reason for them except for maybe wet (snowy) trails, and they hurt my feet.
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

I have hiked in five finger shoes for over 6 years and find they do very well. Five finger's has just come out with a water proof one that i will be trying this year in the snow as I make my way SOBO. They also make five finger nuwool socks to go with them. Just another option for you if boots don't work.

I'm loving the new class of "speed hiking" or "fast hiking" shoes that fits in between hiking shoes and trail runners. I've been hiking in Salomon synapse access shoes for two months and they're great except for two things...in wet conditions they could use a better outsole and they don't clear water/dry very fast. Great shoe for drier climates but not so hot in rain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ive used chacos both summerand winter
    the only real problmem i've had w/ mine is that if their not properly adjusted, you may feel like you are slipping around in your shoes on steep/rocky parts of the trail (that's when i go bare foot haha)

Salomon Speedcross 3, forever, I think.

I tried Salewa approach shoes and they were a disaster.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++