WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I recently purchased a lightweight down jacket from REI for $99.It weighs in at 10.5 ounces.Coupled with my Marmot precip it will serve my purpose as it fits under the shell just fine.

Dogwood does have a point. A May 1st start in the Mid Atlantic on the AT isn't likely to have a lot of need for a down jacket for warmth unless you are planning on finishing in September or later. Though in my case, my down jacket or vest also services as the soft part of my pillow every night so I would normally carry my a down vest (4.3oz) anyway for a similar trip. My head is worth it!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you really want to carry a down jacket then I'll add another vote for the Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket (900 fill; 5.6 oz for a men's medium).

However, I've found my 100-weight Polarfleece at 9 ounces to be a bit more flexible. I actually carried both for my late September section hike from Rangeley to Katahdin and only used the down jacket twice before sending it home from Monson. Yes, it was nice to have when the temp touched freezing those two times, but it was more of a luxury item than I really needed as layering of a long-sleeve Arc'teryx "flannel" T under the microfleece under my rain jacket worked just fine.

I agree with Dogwood regarding your May 1 start -- you just won't be using it very often. Yes, it's only 6 ounces (with stuff sack) and doesn't take up much space, but I don't find it as flexible as my fleece for some reason. If it was waterproof like my Black Rock Gear HadronS beanie, then I might rely on it a bit more, but of course that would reduce it's breathability and comfort range. Of course, YMMV.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I tend to run cold, and am dreadfully afraid of hypothermia. So even if it's just a security blanket I think I'll bring it. I think it's okay for a newbie to bring some just in case stuff, to calm their fears, until they learn enough to know the minimum of what they really need. It's not fun being out in the woods if you're really insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I tend to run cold, and am dreadfully afraid of hypothermia. So even if it's just a security blanket I think I'll bring it. I think it's okay for a newbie to bring some just in case stuff, to calm their fears, until they learn enough to know the minimum of what they really need. It's not fun being out in the woods if you're really insecure.
    Bring a down jacket if you feel you must but regarding hypothermia fears did you look closely at the May weather data link for HF? specifically the day time high avg of 70* and night time low avg of 46*(when you'll be in a sleeping bag and tent) for about the first 10 days of May where it then continues creeping UPWARDS increasingly getting warmer?
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/har...nyr=5/01/2014#
    Unless, you have a particular medical issue that relates to a higher hypothermia susceptibilty that weather data in itself is not indicative of a high probabilty for hypothermia. Take into account you'll have other gear at your disposal like: other apparel(rain jacket, shirts, etc), tent or other shelter, sleeping bag/quilt, etc. You'll also be on the AT during high usage in Maryland and PA during May where you'll have AT shelters at your disposal. If you ponder the entire situation, as you gave it, and cummulatively what you have as resources hypothermia risk assessment is rather quite low. Enjoy your hike.

Thanks Dogwood! I feel better. Bury fears and they grow, better to face them. you're right.

Images

I'll just say again that I was happy with my very light down jacket on our LT hike this summer, with average temps about like those listed above - 70s during the day and 50s at night, sometimes the high 40s. I didn't bring any other insulation clothing layer - I had a dry shirt to change into at the end of the day, which was fine most evenings, then if it cooled off I would put on the down jacket, then use it for a pillow at night (very comfy.) Most mornings the down jacket was just the ticket when getting out of my quilt (and on the coldest nights it was useful inside the quilt.)

I'm generally not cold very easily, and could probably have been happy with a light fleece pullover, but the down jacket was a nice luxury.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I appreciated having my Montbell UL Down parka when starting northbound from Rockfish Gap on April 15. There were some cold nights while in SNP. The first night low was probably around 20. But nights warmed up quite a bit north of the park and there was limited need for the down layer north of Harpers Ferry after April 22. I would think that a down layer is probably not necessary for a May 1 NOBO start from HF. The only question I would have is whether a down layer would be useful in July in NH and Maine? A down layer is actually on my (very early and tentative) packing list for an AT SOBO thru hike starting around July 1, 2016 or 2017 because I thought that it might be useful in ME/NH even in mid summer.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I appreciated having my Montbell UL Down parka when starting northbound from Rockfish Gap on April 15. There were some cold nights while in SNP. The first night low was probably around 20. But nights warmed up quite a bit north of the park and there was limited need for the down layer north of Harpers Ferry after April 22. I would think that a down layer is probably not necessary for a May 1 NOBO start from HF. The only question I would have is whether a down layer would be useful in July in NH and Maine? A down layer is actually on my (very early and tentative) packing list for an AT SOBO thru hike starting around July 1, 2016 or 2017 because I thought that it might be useful in ME/NH even in mid summer.
    Agree...as said previously doubles a a good pillow filler inside a stuff sack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want cheap, try Costco. They have been pumping out all types of down garments lately. Won't be 900 or even 800 down, but will get the job done

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Agree...as said previously doubles a a good pillow filler inside a stuff sack...

I've done this a few times. Wrapped the down parka around my Exped UL pillow. Nicer surface than directly against the pillow. I'm not sure I'd carry the parka for that purpose only, however, if I thought that conditions were going to be too warm for it to be useful as insulation.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Just picked up a Mont bell Ex Light Down Anorak as my "go to" always in my pack down piece. After only wearing it around the house I really like it. If I need more warmth cause it's going to be that much colder, I'm going to add a synthetic vest rather than a heavier down puffy. but that's just me

Again I run cold so I think I will bring a light down jacket. The Montbell UL sounds like a good choice, $175 w/ hood, fill wt 2.5 oz, total wt 9 oz. But they also have the Alpine light, $200 w/ hood, fill wt 4.3 oz, total wt. 13 oz. that should be warmer. A good chance I'll leave the heavy fleece jacket and pants at home at 13 oz each. Also this will not be my one and only hike so I'm also thinking about what else it be be used for.
    opinions?

Sams Club had some very light "Gerry" 650 down jacket/shirts for $27.99 just before Christmas they may still have some.
    I got a 800 fill "Woolworth" shirts from my mother-in law this Christmas. I think she said it was about $40. It is just over 23 oz.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Again I run cold so I think I will bring a light down jacket. The Montbell UL sounds like a good choice, $175 w/ hood, fill wt 2.5 oz, total wt 9 oz. But they also have the Alpine light, $200 w/ hood, fill wt 4.3 oz, total wt. 13 oz. that should be warmer. A good chance I'll leave the heavy fleece jacket and pants at home at 13 oz each. Also this will not be my one and only hike so I'm also thinking about what else it be be used for.
    opinions?
    +1 ul down parka is my favorite piece...alpine light lil more than I need and doesn't pack as small for southern AT...I've been out around 10 deg w the ul and cap 4 hoody...great warm lt combo...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++