WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What is the "correct"way to pronounce the word Appalachian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Not to be impertinent, of course, I'm just trying to prove to myself that my Spanish minor isn't as pointless as I'd feared.

By the way... It's pronounced Ill-i-noi, not Ill-i-nois because it was named by the French after a coalition of now-extinct Native American tribes - the Illiniwek Indians. I don't know why the French never pronounce the last letter of anything (or half the letters in any word, for that matter). (I spent the first 18 years of my 19 year old life in Illinois.)
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Journal Entries
    Images

Bunny, Me thinks you are correct!

I learned my Spanish living in Colombia for the two years immediately prior to my thru hike (Not quite as high as Titaniam Hiker in Bolivia; I was at just 8,000 feet). No "th" sound added there.

Of course, Desoto would not have written "Appalachians" as we spell it now. With that in mind, I was hoping that modern day Spanish might support my theory. Alas, a quick internet search shows they say "Apalache".

So, I now know what it feels like to be wrong (or likely wrong). Had to happen sometime. :-)

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny
    I don't know why the French never pronounce the last letter of anything (or half the letters in any word, for that matter). (I spent the first 18 years of my 19 year old life in Illinois.)
    "The French don't care what they do, actually, as long as they pronounce it properly."
    --Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++