WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel

I've read the limited beta available here and on the net about this place, but was hoping you all could expand on that. This years section will start at Sam's Gap, and will end at either Iron Mountain Gap or Greasy Creek Friendly hostel. I usually drive to where we'll finish and leave my truck there for 5 days. First, is there safe 5 day parking at Iron Mountain Gap? Would you/have you parked there? If not, then to Greasy Creek it is. Does anyone know if they do shuttles(would be from there to Sams Gap)? If not, does anyone have a shuttle recommendation? Sarge at Uncle Johnny's would probably do it; we used him last year. Anyone have an email address for Greasy Creek Friendly? How far(by car) is the nearest town from Greasy Creek? Whats there(restaurants?) Any other info to share?

Thanks, Bigben

The Greasy Creek Friendly was interesting when I was there. She had a dilapidated Ford she was shuttling folks around in. There is a little burger place on the side of the highway that she will take you to.

I hiked from iron mtn gap back to mountain Harbour hostel last February..don't recall any parking at gap but they offered a very fair price for safe parking and shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to leave my car at the Greasey Creek Friendly. Connie used my car to shuttle us to our start of our hike and we hiked back to the "Friendly". There is a side trail down to the "Friendly". Connie was very nice and accommodating. Don't expect the Taj Mahal, though. But everything was efficient and in order. I hear she is a good cook, too. Might be nice to end your hike there. I think there are pictures here on whiteblaze of her and her place.

Twilight

There is a small parking area at Iron Mountain Gap. I can't comment on parking there though (shuttle dropped me there).

I'm pretty sure it's like 20 miles to Erwin, TN from there. The address I have for her is 1827 Greasy Creek Rd, Bakersville, NC. Had to send her a check because my card expired and I hadn't gotten the other and I had no cash.

Connie was great. She was totally willing to work with me on the whole having no cash thing. I did some work on her desktop, laptop, and printer and paid my way that way. It was a very calm and humble place. She had all sorts of food and alcohol for sale for those who wanted it.

I stayed there in 2013. Connie is a kind soul and true trail angel.

She shuttled me into town for a badly needed meal & ATM. She was knowledgeable about this section of the trail and cooked an excellent breakfast. After a rough few days of rain and hardships, she saved my hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

I stayed there a few years ago, Connie is a great asset to the trail & is a hard worker. I patronize these places since they pour their heart out to hikers & really appreciate any business they can get from the trail.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Would anyone happen to have an email for the lady who runs this hostel?

Thanks to all. I'll get in touch with her in the upcoming months, but will probably stay there. In the bunkhouse. I saw some pics of that big ole cat she has, and that would kill my allergies;-)

Logistical sidenote: we'd drive down from Cincinnati, park, shuttle to Sams Gap that same day. Depending on the time/weather, etc, Bald Mtn shelter would be our first nights stop. If running late, where is a good camp spot between Sams Gap and Bald Mtn shelter?

Images

If you get a late start from Sam's Gap, you can camp at Low Gap campsite. It's about 4 miles from Sam's Gap and is a fairly easy hike in. The spring there seems reliable.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    If you get a late start from Sam's Gap, you can camp at Low Gap campsite. It's about 4 miles from Sam's Gap and is a fairly easy hike in. The spring there seems reliable.
    Perfect, thank you. That's what I was thinking. Confident we can rock those miles in short order. Going up and over Bald Mtn might take a little longer than we may have if delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Would anyone happen to have an email for the lady who runs this hostel?
    I believe it's [email protected]

Hey thanks a ton Sly. I have a very close connection to the area (Hell, even the road her place is on!) and would love to drop in during my thru this year.

I parked a car at iron mountain gap for about four days with no problem. There was a gravel parking area big enough for a few cars.
    -tagg

Journal Entries

The Rohlands website lists Iron Mountain Gap as average, but there is no recent data.

Images

When my daughter and I section-hiked through there some years ago, we stopped and stayed at her place. She was sweet as could be and very accommodating. I don't mean to add to her work load, but we asked her to pick up a couple of special request items for us on her grocery run before we would be arriving. She was happy to do that for us!

I have always given the Greasy Creek Friendly two big thumbs up. Truly one of the quirky places that make the AT so interesting and I mean that in a good way.

Here's a pic of Connie (CC) and Grass in the hostel, though Grass and I stayed in the home itself.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 01-05-2015 at 13:59.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Stayed there back in 2007, no hostel just the house that we stayed in. I remember good food and folks. Connie was great and shuttled us the next day.
    GCF.jpeg
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If Connie can't shuttle, check with 10-K at hikershuttles.com.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++