WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bubble questions

At the risk of sounding like a square... I have watched a few videos lately that portray the trail in a way that seems like a Cheech and a Chong movie. A traveling group of party animals (I'm not saying that's a bad thing) that create noise late at night at shelters etc. I get that is what some people are after, and that might have been me if I could have hiked the trail in my twenties when I first had the idea. But I'm not after that now, I want an experience with nature, with a little solitude-Is that still possible? Do I need to leave early? No judgement here- just an honest desire to hike in a way that does not harsh MY mellow, and to coexist with what I believe will be a crowded trail this year. I'm not the church lady- I promise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

go SOBO. seriously

if you go NOBO don't go between march 1st and may 1st

Images

Or...start somewhere in the middle (say, Harper's Ferry), and hike north, then after you hit the northern end, go back to Harper's Ferry and hike south (or go all the way to Springer and hike north to Harper's Ferry). The idea here is to start ANYWHERE except Springer when "the bubble" is starting. If you have enough money to "throw" at transportation, then "the bubble" isn't really a problem. Be creative about it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

What is the earliest realistic departure time for a SOBO? ice mostly melted, streams fordable kind of time?

It's not that bad. It's unusual anyone stays up much past dark on the trail. The parties are off trail at hiker feeds and town sponsored events like Trail Days where large numbers gather. On trail it's generally low key and discreet. Locals coming out for a weekend of fun is often a bigger problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Or, just avoid the shelters for the most part and you really wont have many issues. Of course you cannot do that in the GSMNP.

Its really kind of humorous to see some people RACE to the shelters to get there first trying to get a spot. I think this is part of the reason mileage is so low for people at first, they are competing for shelter space and are afraid to hike past 2pm lest they have to tent.

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    What is the earliest realistic departure time for a SOBO? ice mostly melted, streams fordable kind of time?

i started june 29 one year. the only problem was mosquitos

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's not that bad. It's unusual anyone stays up much past dark on the trail. The parties are off trail at hiker feeds and town sponsored events like Trail Days where large numbers gather. On trail it's generally low key and discreet. Locals coming out for a weekend of fun is often a bigger problem.
    Very true post, hits the nail on the head as to my experience also. Only "infringement" I can recall is sheltering in the smokies next to a roaring snorer... But hey, you can't exactly carry the CPAP right?

Images

Forgot to mention, earplugs do come in handy...

I experienced this in 2011. A group of like-minded party folk start within a week of each other at Springer in March and over the course of a month group together. The numbers go from 5 to 30 depending on weather and people taking zeros, but towns like Franklin and Hot Springs give them all an opportunity to herd together again.

You can have your solace if you avoid staying in the shelters and have the funds to purchase cabins or motel rooms for yourself.

If you limit your own zeros you will out distance them, but they also tend to skip ahead with the idea of making trail days. I remember not having seen a certain group for a few weeks only to come upon 20 or more of them sitting by the highway before that apple orchard campsite a few miles before Clyde Smith shelter. They were waiting for their Marijuana and beer shipment.

If you can make Damascus 50% of them will suddenly disappear. By Daleville the group is gone with pockets of 3-5 hiking together.

Shelters are built around the water and that's a big reason to stop. If you throw up a tent or hammock 500 yards away you will have peace and quiet. If you want a roof over your head during an overnight downpour it comes with the price of

Sorry somehow got cutoff. Last sentence should read it comes at the price of companionship.

SOBO BonBon kinda has a ring to it?

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

If you have watched the same videos I have recently, don't worry about it. It's not as bad as it seems. I only do sections but from what I have seen on the trail, everyone is usually respectful of others. I usually get to a shelter later in the day and if I find it is a packed house I continue on and find a nice quiet place to set up camp. You don't have to stay at the shelters and are probably better to find your own piece of peace

The flip flop may 1 from Harpers Ferry is gaining interest, mainly from older quiter folks.

Journal Entries
    Images

It's only a problem if you involve yourself in the bubble. Like others have said, if this is a serious concern & you want more a wilderness experience & time allows, go sobo. If not, it's as easy as not sleeping anywhere near shelters, taking your breaks a little farther off the trail, camping a little farther off trail, hiking early in the am & interacting where you choose. Enjoy!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

if going NOBO stay out of the BUBBLE'S if the party scene isn't your thing, I always stayed between the bubbles with just 2 or 3 other hikers, I like hanging out with Anti-Bubble personality type folks.
    Or go SOBO.

I have to be back by Aug 25, so I guess NOBO is my only option. Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm looking forward to starting early March. Hope we all get what we hope for from the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post

I would say it depends on the year. I line in NH and we are just now seeing our 2nd snow of the year in my area. Further north they have had more snow but not much. My family lives in Maine, same there for snow but not sure whats happening at Katahdin or in between here and there. Maybe watch the weather for key areas like Katahdin and Washington and check the ski reports in the area. They make lots of snow and that all has to melt too.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

While there are a few groups that like to party, like locals out for the weekend, they tend to stay at shelters or sites near roads either to meet there supply or to avoid carrying beer and alcohol too far into the woods. The ones that don't go home for lack of funds usually take six months to do their hike which often includes skipping sections. If you come across one during the day you can always ask them politely where they are headed to at the end of the day. If you avoid that site or hike past it, you'll likely not see them again.

If you're rea;;y into solitude, you'll find small previously used campsites that aren't marked or near shelters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++