WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

I was there on January 1st! Such a beautiful place! But I can see where one could get hurt on the rock scrambles, especially if you take alternate routes or are careless or unlucky.

I hate to nitpick, but I am confident that the helicopter didn't hover at 4,100 AGL. "AGL" means "above ground level." That would require a hoist cable 2/3 of a mile long.
    Shutterbug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I hate to nitpick, but I am confident that the helicopter didn't hover at 4,100 AGL. "AGL" means "above ground level." That would require a hoist cable 2/3 of a mile long.
    The actual quote was: "Pilot Ryan Evasick established an out of ground effect hover about 100 feet above the scene, 4,100 foot AGL, and the crew deployed a rescue basket and affected a hoist rescue of the victim." The hover was about 100 feet above the scene. The flight elevation was about 4100 feet based on the elevation of Old Rag.

Furlough
    Last edited by Furlough; 01-04-2015 at 09:59.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I've hiked Old Rag many times in fall but not in winter since I'm sure it is a hazardous obstacle course with ice, which can form from seeps as well as precipitation. Not to say it can't be done safely but I can easily see how things could go horribly wrong on the rock scrambles. That's true even without ice, of course. I've seen so many people in over their heads on old rag.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Not surprised as it happens every year. And with all the rock scrambles it would be dangerous in the snow and ice.
    HYOH and LNT

I was there on Friday. Conditions were near perfect. There were a few patches of ice in the usual cracks and seeps but totally avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by lambsknoll View Post
    I was there on Friday. Conditions were near perfect. There were a few patches of ice in the usual cracks and seeps but totally avoidable.
    Agreed. I was there the day before this incident and the trail through out was fine. Lots of ways to get hurt on the rocks up there without needing ice and snow to do it. I saw a guy twist his ankle in the first few yards of the scramble. Accidents happen.

++ New Posts ++