WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping System ?

Starting on 2/2/2015
    Is it too much taking sleeping bag - REI Magma Sleeping Bag
    and Sleeping bag liner - Sea to summit Thermo;ite Reactor Extreme Mummy Bag Liner

The Sleeping bag gives me comfort level of 22 degrees fahreheit and the sleeping bag liner add me warmth up to 22 degrees fahrehei.

I don't like cold and starting early.
    Is it too much?

I sleep cold, so nothing is too much in the winter/early spring. These look good to me. If your feet get cold at night and keep you awake, heat up water, fill your nalgene (if you have one, that is), make sure the lid is closed well!--and put it at the bottom of your bag a few minutes before you get in. Works wonders, keeps you warm for hours.

Do you have this sleeping bag and liner, or, thinking to purchase?

Pretty expensive and heavy. You will only see few (or no) days of 20 degree weather at night, depending on when you start, but you will carry that bag for the better part of six months. I carried a WM Highlight rated 35 (I think) (April 1 start). I slept in my insulating layer a night or two.

Images

you will see below 0 for sure. i saw -10 Brown Fork 1/20/09 (6" with 12" drifts). 10 degrees 2/4 Spring Mt. 2/4/09. (with 10" snow with 24" drifts)
    i was in a hammock, so i can't help with gear. PS i was warm
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Just noticed your start date.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Do you have this sleeping bag and liner, or, thinking to purchase?
    Doesn't have it yet.
    planning to purchase
    Do you recommend a better setup?

Low weight. Low volume.

Buy once.

Will you be doing much more hiking, than this one?

Not sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
    I sleep cold, so nothing is too much in the winter/early spring. These look good to me. If your feet get cold at night and keep you awake, heat up water, fill your nalgene (if you have one, that is), make sure the lid is closed well!--and put it at the bottom of your bag a few minutes before you get in. Works wonders, keeps you warm for hours.
    Thanks, very encouraging.
    Don't want to carry a lot of weight, but also don't want to get cold at night and this sleeping system will be my home for the next few months so don't want to risk it and go too much light.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Low weight. Low volume.

Buy once.

Will you be doing much more hiking, than this one?

Not sure?
    Planning to hike a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you will see below 0 for sure. i saw -10 Brown Fork 1/20/09 (6" with 12" drifts). 10 degrees 2/4 Spring Mt. 2/4/09. (with 10" snow with 24" drifts)
    That's cold
    Better to be prepare then sorry. Glad to hear that you were warm

Exped, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, MontBell: sleeping bags.

Hammock Gear, Enlightened Equipment, JacksRBetter: top quilts.

I have Hammock Gear Burrow 20 F and Cascade Designs XTherm. For closure, use Cascade Designs accessory snap kit. I recommend the sewn footbox. Have lower legs on backpack. That's me.

For you, use European Comfort rating, not Extreme rating. Look at packed volume.

I would look for 850-900 fill down for best weight to warmth, plus low volume in the backpack. Have a first layer for sleeping and beanie or balaclava instead of a sleeping bag liner. Then, you can wear that for hiking if needed.

I have had a warm enough sleeping bag at 650-fill. It weighed almost 3 lbs. and needed a high volume backpack.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-03-2015 at 16:50.

I have a Hammock Geat Burrow 20 for sale on the forum if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I am shifting to hanging, just started experimenting. You said you were warm. Did you use an under quilt? I am trying not to unless it is necessary. Thanks for any advice you have.

I've tried the thermolite reactor liner....doesn't help much.......

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I've tried the thermolite reactor liner....doesn't help much.......

thanks for your feedback

If I was you I would get a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag with down pants, jacket and maybe some booties, with this type of set up you should stay warm to 0 or below, On my 2012 Thru-hike I left springer mountain 2/14 and basically the only place I was cold was in the GSMNP, and I was using a "30 degree synthetic bag and clothes ", with the 20 degree bag you can keep it the entire trail.

what ever type of set up you choose, get something you an keep for the whole trail, I would suggest a 3.5 season set up. don't forget that a good sleeping pad adds warmth to your system.

Thinking of Sea to Summit Spark 1 with the Thermalite reactor Liner. Bag is good to 45 and liner adds another 20 degs. April 15 start....thoughts plz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I purchased that liner. It was worthless!

Okay, maybe to keep the sleeping bag clean? No. It twists around.

Has it changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiteman View Post
    Starting on 2/2/2015
    Is it too much taking sleeping bag - REI Magma Sleeping Bag
    and Sleeping bag liner - Sea to summit Thermo;ite Reactor Extreme Mummy Bag Liner

The Sleeping bag gives me comfort level of 22 degrees fahreheit and the sleeping bag liner add me warmth up to 22 degrees fahrehei.

I don't like cold and starting early.
    Is it too much?
    I have in the past recommended the liners- only because the liner can be sent home as it warms, brought back for your high summer bag (send sleeping bag home), and then you can reverse as you hit the whites. At best though- cut all the sea to summit temp numbers in half. Also- part of my past recommendation of them is that I often used them in a bivy in summer. If you sleep in the open air the wind will rip right through them and negate any warmth, so as a summer bag without a bivy- 60* is about it.

That said- for your $300-
    http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/
    $270 for the 10 degree, $285 for the zero- under 2lbs. As a "one bag" solution for an extended trip like a thru a quilt can be vented easily and you will get more use.

If you wanted to combine the cost of the bag and liner- you could upgrade to a 900 fill enigma or zpacks quilt.
    If you really want one to go the distance for a few ounces more- http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-1/
    the revelation opens completely (turns into a blanket) and lets you really vent come summertime.

Use the 80% rule- buy a bag for 80% of the night's you'll encounter- not for the two in 100 "worse case scenario". Being out for 5-6 months means there is no perfect anything for every night- you'll have to compromise here and there on either extreme (hot and cold).

A 10 degree mummy will be pretty miserable on 80% of your hike, a 10 degree quilt is still too warm IMO, but a month in when it's in the 40's, and a month later when it's in the 50s you're really going to hate that 10* mummy.

If you already own or plan to switch in a summer or spring bag as you go then a cold bag makes some sense. If I was doing an early start, I prefer a mummy for below 20*- but I would be sending it home for a 35/40* quilt asap.

Be honest with yourself and be versatile- the worst thing that can happen is you run into one or two really cold nights.
    A- You'll realize it's really cold, put on extra clothes, boil your water and store it in your bag so it doesn't freeze.
    B- You'll shiver a bit and have a crappy night.
    C- You'll be too cold to lay there and be forced to wake up and walk around, cook some food, or build a fire.
    D- You won't die- honestly.

So 95% of the hike you'll be comfy, not overheat, not overpack, and have a good story to tell about that one ****ty night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++