WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: May Start?

Quote Originally Posted by ryjohnson09 View Post
    I'm planning a 2016 NOBO hike but would like to start the day after my graduation, May 22nd. I know this is very late, but being an avid marathon runner, I'm not too worried. What do you guys think?

doable....but, one thing that I think gets overlooked is the possible mental "strain" put on a hike when you are forced to maintain a rigid pace or schedule. (Even if it's to get to the next town before the PO closes before the weekend).That becomes more of a forced march than a hike. If I were starting that late, I would look at flipping to give myself the luxury of not having a schedule. I spent plenty of zero's, not because I was tired but I wanted to "soak up" the experience. I treated my hike like it was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Not saying i won't ever do another AT thru hike again but I'm not sure that I will either.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert backpacker but I hiked throughout high school (boy scouts) and I typically do 1 or 2 40 plus mile hikes a year. I will definitely try and get out this summer (2015) and do some longer hikes...you wants to join me?!

Quote Originally Posted by ryjohnson09 View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm an expert backpacker but I hiked throughout high school (boy scouts) and I typically do 1 or 2 40 plus mile hikes a year. I will definitely try and get out this summer (2015) and do some longer hikes...you wants to join me?!
    I am always looking for someone to hike with. PM me when you know when you want to hike and we can see which trail/hike we can agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I am confident I could do the trail in 5 months or less. Without having my "hiking legs", I can already do 16-18 mile days comfortable. To finish it in 120 days, you need to average just under 18.25 miles per day.
    And if you take one day per week off then you have to add 3+ miles to each of the other six days to maintain your average. And if you get shin splints or an infected blister or tweak a knee and have to take a few days off to recover, you'll fall so far behind you'll have a wicked tough time getting back on schedule.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Hike north and then take a bus to Millinocket in around September 1st, then head south. This gets you out of the whites by October1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    And if you take one day per week off then you have to add 3+ miles to each of the other six days to maintain your average. And if you get shin splints or an infected blister or tweak a knee and have to take a few days off to recover, you'll fall so far behind you'll have a wicked tough time getting back on schedule.
    I agree. Although I cited a 4 month completion time regarding miles per day, I did say I could do it in 5 months or less (i.e., up to 30 days of zeros). To finish in 150 days, it would be under 15 miles per day average. A very leisurely pace. Plus, I don't hike to be part of a "moving party." Barring injury, sickness, god awful weather, I can't see spending more than a full 24 hrs in town. If possible, I'd like to keep moving. Since on a bad day, I can do 8-10 miles by noon, neros won't hurt the average too much.

Ideally, I'd plan it to get to town around 1-2 after doing 10-12 miles. Get room for night. Resupply. Shower. Get a good night sleep on a comfortable bed and be out the next morning early. I cannot imagine under normal circumstances spending 2 days in town just because (i.e., non-injury, non-sickness, non-weather related).

Of course, nothing ever goes to plan. Injuries, sickness, weather happen. But that is why I said, I was confident to do it in 5 months. It would theoretically give me 30 extra days of hiking for the expected unexpected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++