WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mala

Default Mala

just wanted to let y'all know that Mala is ill with cancer. a lot of you know him. he's been around the AT scene for 20+ years. he did a lot of "trail magic" and "angeling" all those years. he's a Nam vet. a good guy. i visited with him today and i asked if he would allow me to post his address so those that want to, could send a card, letter or whatever. he would really like to hear from old and new friends. pray for him

Mala
    1412 Parrish St.
    Marlinton, W.Va. 24954

I have never met him but, anyone who puts in that much time for others must be an awesome person. I will keep him in my prayers.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Journal Entries
    Images

You got it Wolf.

real sorry to hear that. Good luck to Mala, hope he can beat the disease.

Images

Thanks so much for sharing, Lone Wolf. Sure hate to hear this news. Mala and Tucker rode from Tennessee to Maine and back with me in '04 to pick up my daughter. They were great traveling companions!

Here are pics on the way home. One of Mala and Tucker (and Grass) at The Doyle in Duncannon, PA. And two from Arla's The Vortex in Bennington, VT. Arla and Grass and TMI (?) in one with Mala.

I'll get in touch with him. Thanks for the address.

Rain Man
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

The trail truly had a friend in Mala for many years. Seems that as the wave of hikers headed north every year, there was Mala in his pickup with his dog. He was always showed up on the side of the road, in a trail town or trailhead ready to give a hand, advice or a shuttle. My prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery goes out to this outstanding "trail angel" and friend of thousands of AT hikers.
    swamp dawg

Images

Thanks, Lone Wolf.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Mala is the best. One of the first people I met when I started long distance hiking and a mentor. A couple days in I asked him "how long do you think my my feet will hurt?" His answer, "how long do you think it will take to get to Maine." Classic, love him like a brother. Get well soon.

I first met Mala in 1998 shortly after starting work as a volunteer backcountry ranger at Mt. Rogers. in 200, we went to Montana together and have had many good times since. He was instrumental in me getting connected with the VA in Johnson City and getting some personal things sorted out. Thanks LW for visiting him on behalf of this community.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray for him and will also send some snail mail.
    Trillium

Images

Prayers ascending for your pal Mala. It sounds as if he has many stars in his crown.

Jane

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Sucks to hear...Mala's one of the good ones. Haven't seen him in a few years, but still remember our last conversation. I'll get something his way this weekend.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just wanted to let y'all know that Mala is ill with cancer. a lot of you know him. he's been around the AT scene for 20+ years. he did a lot of "trail magic" and "angeling" all those years. he's a Nam vet. a good guy. i visited with him today and i asked if he would allow me to post his address so those that want to, could send a card, letter or whatever. he would really like to hear from old and new friends. pray for him

Mala
    1412 Parrish St.
    Marlinton, W.Va. 24954
    Lone Wolf, thanks for all you do in every way. Mala is a special person who has went the extra mile for hikers.

Thanks for Info LW. Mala helped me a few Times when I needed it.

Get better soon Mala, the trail needs good people like you. prayers sent

Mala is at the Mountain Home VA hospital in Johnson City, TN. in room 204. if anybody is close to there he could really use some visitors

Images

Mala is at the Mountain Home VA hospital in Johnson City, TN. in room 204. if anybody is close to there he could really use some visitors

I'm heading that way this week, I'll say Hello, thanks for the headsup.

Images

Thanks for sharing. Card sent

Images

Thanks for the update, Lone Wolf! Here's a dumb question: if someone did want to go by and visit, is "Mala" the name the hospital will know him by?

I spoke with the switchboard and was told they have more than one Room 204 and can't help me without a real name.

Rain Man
    Last edited by Rain Man; 01-21-2015 at 12:36.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++