WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Music/Podcast Library Building

I know some days i'll want to listen to music, podcasts, or audio books on the trail. I've never really used iTunes, i typically always listen to Spotify or YouTube channels. Since I won't have internet connection to do that, any suggestions on how to quickly and cheaply build up my iTunes library?

Any suggestions on good podcasts or audiobooks?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skye15 View Post
    I know some days i'll want to listen to music, podcasts, or audio books on the trail. I've never really used iTunes, i typically always listen to Spotify or YouTube channels. Since I won't have internet connection to do that, any suggestions on how to quickly and cheaply build up my iTunes library?

Any suggestions on good podcasts or audiobooks?

Thanks!
    I have used "Free Music Download" from the iTunes store. Do some searches on how to drop the files from your phone to your computer and then into your iTunes (or from computer into iTunes).

I have a device that connects to my Ipod and then the headphones plug into it which gives me radio and the headphones work as a antenna. Works well and you can most likely pick up some type of music anywhere.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Explore your public library system or the library of any nearby college or university. This is a great way to expand your musical tastes, as well as your digital library.

Images

Beat me to it OCDave--I've gotten great new and old music from the library. Not to mention all the great books. Ask the librarian if they can order items from other branches. That will dramatically increase your selection. Some libraries even offer free music downloading services too.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Thanks, I never even knew about the library option but i will definitely be checking that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I have used "Free Music Download" from the iTunes store. Do some searches on how to drop the files from your phone to your computer and then into your iTunes (or from computer into iTunes).
    I'll start looking into that, good idea.

Spotify premium ($10/month) has an offline mode. That's what I plan to use. You need WiFi to originally download the songs to your phone, but once you select them for use in offline mode you don't need internet anymore. I figure every once in a while in a town where I get WiFi I'll have a little download session where I change up my music.

+1 for checking your public library. My local library has a music database subscription and patrons are able to download (for keeps) 7 songs per week. Needless to say I haven't bought music in quite a while.

Thanks! I have Spotify premium, so I'll get to downloading!

If you already have Spotify premium. That would be the easiest.

Get the Podcasts App and then get Serial (it is a NPR product) - it is 12 part series that is amazing and free. I have had an Audible.com account for years and it is amazing. I have War and Peace, Midnight's Children, and a few Dostoevsky's on my list for the trail this year. Amazon has very good specials on a lot of music, and hundred's of $5 Albums that flow right into iTunes. When are you leaving? I'm down for April 4.

Quote Originally Posted by BRamsey View Post
    Get the Podcasts App and then get Serial (it is a NPR product) - it is 12 part series that is amazing and free. I have had an Audible.com account for years and it is amazing. I have War and Peace, Midnight's Children, and a few Dostoevsky's on my list for the trail this year. Amazon has very good specials on a lot of music, and hundred's of $5 Albums that flow right into iTunes. When are you leaving? I'm down for April 4.
    With the podcasts, I can listen to those off-line? I've never used/listened to podcasts before so i'm a little ignorant. I am going to make an audible account, I have the app Ive just never used it. My leaving is somewhat still in a time range - sometime between March 30th - April 1st. Trying to plan around some friends that want to do the first few miles with me. They're pushing me through the first 30 miles at least! : )

Like interesting stories? Free podcast you should checkout:
    The Moth
    NPR: Radiolab- Listen to the short episode "Dogs Gone Wild" and you'll be hooked
    Snap Judgement
    Stuff You Missed in History Class - Highly recommend the episode covering the Donner Party
    The Dinner Party Download
    and of course-
    This American Life

Enough free content to get you to Maine.

Good Luck

I agree- love Serial podcast series and other NPR stuff. And audible has a great selection of books you can download. (Or is that upload?) I'm listening to a hilarious book right now called iHike by Lawton Grinter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, this has given me great ideas. Now I tell myself i'm "multi-tasking" and build playlists while I work...helps with my planning anxiety that i'm able to do something trail related while sitting in a cube.

++ New Posts ++