WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wear glasses / get laser eye surgery?

Hi all-

Anyone out there complete a thru-hike and wish you did not have glasses? I can imagine rainy weather not being enjoyable. I'm considering getting laser eye surgery prior to heading out, and if anyone has advice to share I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    Hi all-

Anyone out there complete a thru-hike and wish you did not have glasses? I can imagine rainy weather not being enjoyable. I'm considering getting laser eye surgery prior to heading out, and if anyone has advice to share I'd appreciate it, thanks!
    I got LASIK nearly 16 years ago exactly because I was tired of my glasses fogging up while hiking or rock climbing and just generally being in the way. If you are a good candidate for the surgery I would say DO IT! I have never regretted the decision for a minute and I used to wear my glasses every waking minute. Had difficulty swimming much because my eyesight was so poor. And its one less thing I have to be concerned about when doing outdoor adventures.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

I dont really have glasses fogging issues on trail .
    Cleaning once day with a drop of soap and water isnt big deal

Out west wear prescription sunglasses all day. No difference. Dont need sunglasses generally on at.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-08-2015 at 01:34.

I'm with PennyPincher. 12 years now and some of the best money I've ever spent. And I'm really appreciative when I'm hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear eyeglasses that have transitions lenses. They auto tint depending on the amount of sunlight. Saves me from carrying sunglasses even if I had perfect vision. All my photos from the AT show them ranging from full dark to clear on my face. I use croakies eyewear retainers to ensure if they somehow fall off my fact, the cord around my neck keeps them from hitting the ground. I lay them in my hat that I keep next to my head at night along with my flashlight when I sleep.

As for hiking in rain, I wear a baseball cap that keeps almost all the rain off them unless I'm walking into a strong wind. If I'm wearing my rain jacket, the cap fits under the hood nicely with the bill sticking out.

The only time I wish for something different is when I'm hiking in snow above treeline and need to wear glacier rated eyewear since the auto tint in my glasses isn't dark enough for those conditions (and lets in too much light around the glasses). In which case, I wear contacts on the days I need to wear my glacier sunglasses.

I got lasik 10 years and couldn't be happier. I was a carpenter and got tired of getting debris in my eyes. Also sick of fogging glasses, not being able to see while swimming, and having a second set of sun glasses. Without glasses it's one less thing to worry about breaking on the trail. Or if you're a gram weenie the weight of carrying a spare.

My wife and I both did it at 50 after spending most of our lives in glasses or contacts. DO IT! there is (or was for us) one disadvantage. We both lost our nearsighted vision causing us to have to keep that cheap pair of reading glasses around close by. For me not too bad as I can usually play trombone and get the menu or phone screen in focus enough to read it without them but she has to have hers.

But for all the other advantages, It was 100% worth it and I'd do it again. Night vision is still good. It was not painful, A little bit of scratchy eye pain was all either of us experienced. Though you shouldn't, we both drove our selves home after the surgery after about two hours waiting due to circumstances.
    Then go get you some of those cool sunglasses you see everyone else wearing without prescription glasses!

I'm very tempted to get laser eye surgery. My right eye is really bad. It gets worse every couple of years and I end up with new prescriptions and another round of expensive regular glasses, sunglasses for regular use, and glacier glasses. It sucks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I was near sighted and wore glasses since I was a small child. In 2006, I had the opportunity to get PRK done for free through the military before my deployment to Iraq. I decided to have it done for all the reasons posted above plus always wanted to wear real sunglasses. I had the procedure done and haven't regretted it yet but, I did however become somewhat far sighted and have to wear reading glasses for books and maps. You will have to follow up for the first year after your procedure so, if that doesn't fit in with your thru hiking schedule, I would hold off until after but, would have it done. One other thing. It does not reverse the effects of aging and deterioration in sight.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

The friend I sectioned with had it done, he was planning to do a lot of soloing after he retired and if he lost his glasses solo, he would have a hard time finding them. He really appreciated having it done prior to winter hiking, prior the surgery, he rarely saw anything in the winter as his glasses were fogged up, soon after having it done we did Moosilaukee one cold clear winter day and he really appreciated it.

The one down side that is inherent to the surgery is if they adjust your vision for distance, you most likely lose vision up close. This is actually more related to other changes in the eye but the net result is most folks after laser vision need reading glasses when they didn't need them before. There is a surgery method where they adjust the two eyes to different focal lengths which leads to monovision where one eye is good for distance and one up close. It didn't work well for my friend and I think he had it corrected later on. I have natural monovision where I reflexively swap eyes but I have lived with it for years. Even with monovision, the ability to shift my focus is definitely degraded over the years so I use glasses when I am on the computer and am starting to use them for reading.

About how much did everyone pay for the surgery? I'm hearing everything from the $200/eye special advertised on the radio to like 5,000 to 10,000 for both eyes!

I've seen numbers in the $5K range but I haven't looked into it for several years. Eye surgery is not something where I'd go for the low bid personally.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Do it if you can afford it! I had mine done 8 years ago or so and have never regretted it. I was one of those who lived in either glasses or contacts, as it wasn't safe for me to function without them. I've seen plenty of contacts on the trail, but imagine you'd have to be very careful with regards to cleanliness. If I didn't have the lasik, I'd go with the glasses, much easier to keep clean, etc. I agree with Coffee in sentiment, can never be too careful or cheap regarding your eyesight.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Images

Forgot. We paid in $5000 range, but that included all the pre-op and post-op appointments, plus the meds (presription anti-biotic eyedrops, etc.). I had both eyes done at the same time.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

I've not done it. But am thinking I will. Twice I have talked to my regular eye doctor (glasses) about it. She recommends a certain place and either of their doctors. It isn't one that is advertized or anything. She said it would be, her guess, around $3000, or $1500 each eye. She is QUICK to remind me that I WILL still be in reading glasses, for those maps, books, computer work. But it would solve distance, hiking, driving and such.
    So, if you see a regular eye doctor, then talk with them about it.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

My husband had his done a couple of years ago. He was getting to the point where he almost had to have 3 sets of glasses - far away, computer and reading. Surgery has eliminated the far away and computer, but he cannot see up close without the reading glasses - at all.

He knew that before the surgery, but didn't realize how much up close work he does. He somewhat regrets having the lazik.

One other thing to keep in mind - you will have to be very careful of your eyes for several months after the surgery. It takes them that long to completely heal, and they are susceptible to infection, etc.

-FA

Only thing to remember about this surgery is that it carves a prescription into your eyes. It doesn't keep your eyes from changing as you get older.

I finally got Lasik last fall after putting up with glasses for my entire life. I was really blind without corrective lenses (20/400+) and was really active (backpacking, triathlons, skiing, etc.)

It has been great. I did not get a chance to do any backpacking after getting it done, but even being able to go skiing without contacts has been great. When I did MA-NH-VT in 2005, I had problems with my glasses fogging up at times, and did not take any sunglasses with me. I also was terrified each night that I would wake up and not be able to find my glasses. I am not sure I could get myself off the trail without my glasses.

As for cost, I paid about $1800/eye ($3600 total) and financed it for 0% for 24 months. That works out to about $150/month.

It is definitely the most expensive few ounces I have eliminated from my pack (if you include glasses, contacts, contact lens case, and solution), but well worth it.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

If your eyes are OK with them, you can always try the 30 day contacts. After 30 days switch to glasses for a week or 2 and go back to contacts. Not everyone can do this, but this might be worth looking into.

Lasix. I paid about $3600 total. But that was for a very experienced and reputable doctor and the latest technique. It also includes "touch ups" for life. Worth every penny, I wish I had done it years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++