Default PCT & Iron Horse Trail

Hi everyone. A quick question to anyone who has specific knowledge.

The Iron Horse Trail goes over the PCT in Washington State near I-90. The Iron Horse Trail goes through a tunnel at that point. Is there any kind of connecting path to reach the PCT once I exit either end of the Iron Horse Trail? It looks to be about 5-6 miles from there to I-90.

Thanks

I want to thru bike it as a more casual 100 + mile trek.

Do you have the east and west free online downloadable IHT maps? Find the area in which you're looking to link up to the PCT and look at some topos. I know the PCT and IHT both go over Snoqualamie Pass.

Images

ALDHA West was in that neighbor last fall. tattoo Joe talked about a trail that dropped down from the ridge south of the pass and connected up with the Iron Horse. It was in the area of stampede pass IIRC.

The PCT actually goes over the Iron Horse trail tunnel. Also known as the Snoqualmie tunnel. Once the PCT reaches I-90 you can head east on a frontage road to the tunnel. Its less than 3 miles to the east opening, with about a 450' drop. The west tunnel opening is closer to the PCT but much harder to access. I do not recall any trail or path connecting the PCT to the west opening near rockdale creek.
    Here is a map of the area in question. I also added the path from the PCT to the east tunnel opening.

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGx...BiAgICguO6sCQw

I am surprised that the tunnel is not a more popular alternate route. FYI, the tunnel is over two miles long, You will want a flashlight. The tunnel path is smooth but has drainage ditches along the walls and water does drip down all along the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by DogNTallGrass View Post
    The PCT actually goes over the Iron Horse trail tunnel. Also known as the Snoqualmie tunnel. Once the PCT reaches I-90 you can head east on a frontage road to the tunnel. Its less than 3 miles to the east opening, with about a 450' drop. The west tunnel opening is closer to the PCT but much harder to access. I do not recall any trail or path connecting the PCT to the west opening near rockdale creek.
    Here is a map of the area in question. I also added the path from the PCT to the east tunnel opening.

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGx...BiAgICguO6sCQw

I am surprised that the tunnel is not a more popular alternate route. FYI, the tunnel is over two miles long, You will want a flashlight. The tunnel path is smooth but has drainage ditches along the walls and water does drip down all along the tunnel.
    You're helping me to recall some things. Yes, in 2008, 4 PCT NOBOers actually hiked down to the tunnel from the PCT. All said it was a rather steep rough hike. A PCTer I was with also from Washington pointed out to me where the tunnel was.

My bad in my original post. I knew the PCT went OVER the IHT. What I want to do is start on the IHT at Hyak, then walk through the tunnel, then get on the PCT and walk to the I-90 area. What I was looking for was a trail, if any, from the west end of the tunnel up to the PCT. And thanks for the info and map.

No worries.
    Check out NWHikers.net Here is a link to Snoqualmie tunnel threads.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/search.php?mode=results

Thanks DogNtallGrass for the beta. I was looking forward to doing what you said - taking the tunnel as a PCT alternate from early on in my PCT thru but when I reached northern Washington at Snoqualamie pass I had debilitating shin splints barely being able to hobble. The only way down to the tunnel from the PCT and back up that I knew of was through a steep scramble that I knew I wasn't up for. I wish I had that topo you posted though. Maybe, I could have done it.

Uncle and Aunt live in Everett. They have an organic farm surprisingly growing several fruits that I had initially thought could only be grown outside much further south or in the southeast.

++ New Posts ++