WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Petition for Leave No Trace on Appalachian Trail

Hi. A friend suggested I head over to Whiteblaze to share this petition with you. I've been fretting over the discussions lately about the impacts to the trail in Georgia and the statements from Baxter regarding thruhikers. I decided to create this petition to Mr. Robert Redford and his production company, asking him to please address LNT perhaps at the end of the film. The film is being screened at Sundance Film Fest the end of January, so it will be out soon. We already have almost 150 signatures on this petition and I would appreciate it if you would consider signing it also. It would be helpful if you would share the link with your friends too. Thank you.

https://www.change.org/p/robert-redf...k-in-the-woods

Journal Entries

I signed. Thanks for your pro-active stance.

Thanks ya!

Images

Signed. Hope it works.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Signed. Hope it works.
    Me too. Thanks!

Being intimately involved in raising environmental awareness while having a keen consideration of how his behavior affects the environment, as is obvious by the work of the Redford Center, I definitely could envision Mr. Redford considering and coming on board with such a proposal. I would expect the conscientious Mr Redford to already include pro environmental stances by examining humanities proactive cumulative and individual responsibilities as part of the overall take away message in the A Walk Through the Woods movie.

I signed your petition.

Thanks for stepping up, works or not- trying something always counts.

Just signed it
    HYOH and LNT

Do you have any information that would lead you to believe that he is not already planning to address LNT issues either before the showing, during or after the showing?

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    Do you have any information that would lead you to believe that he is not already planning to address LNT issues either before the showing, during or after the showing?
    Spoiler Alert

I haven't seen the movie, but one of my favorite sections of the book is when Katz jettisons most of his gear coming up the approach trial (including the food). He definitely left a trace.

signed and shared on my FB time line
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Signed and thanx for being proactive!

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

A great idea and I certainly hope they use the movie to spread LNT principles, but just be aware of what you might be doing when you give change.org your contact details when you sign the petition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change.org#Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    A great idea and I certainly hope they use the movie to spread LNT principles, but just be aware of what you might be doing when you give change.org your contact details when you sign the petition

Good point... I signed the petition without giving accurate contact information.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for making a stance for LNT. +1 signature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Sidewinder2013

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    Hi. I don't have any information on any of his plans. My concern is if I don't raise my voice in advance of the movie then it will be too late to do it later. I wrote this petition in a respectful matter-of-fact way. I hope that for him to hear from the hiking community would not be thought of as disrespectful as it is NOT meant that way at all. Really, this is a statement of concern, not a finger-pointing blame game. I urge you to read the petition if you haven't already and I am open to any and all suggestions for improvement. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Spoiler Alert

I haven't seen the movie, but one of my favorite sections of the book is when Katz jettisons most of his gear coming up the approach trial (including the food). He definitely left a trace.
    Hilarious in the book. Not so much in reality on the trail, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post

Thank you for posting this. I was unaware of concerns. I have a level of skepticism of the internet as well. I have never written a petition before and frankly change.org does not give you clear information on the process in advance, you find out as you go. Two things to share with you. First, Mr. Redford does not maintain a public email address on the internet. If he did he would be getting updates from us as the petition progresses, but there are obvious reasons why he would not. This means that when I close this petition, and I am currently thinking next Monday, 1/19/15, I will be writing a personal cover letter and include a copy of the petition, the signatures and the comments. Second thing, regarding your signatures. I can download signatures on demand in a CSV file which is functional in Excel. I am doing this twice a day as I don't want to lose track of anyone's signatures. The file includes your name, city, state, zipcode, country, and date signed. Your email is not included and I don't have visibility to that in any form. I BELIEVE change.org uses your email to set you up sort of like a customer. For example, when I started this process I found under my email other petitions I have signed in the past. That is all I know about this process. I truly appreciate you bringing this wikipedia article to all of our attention as I was unaware of it. My main criticism of change.org at this point is a user is not given complete information of how the process works in advance of starting a petition. Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Girl View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I was unaware of concerns. I have a level of skepticism of the internet as well. I have never written a petition before and frankly change.org does not give you clear information on the process in advance, you find out as you go. Two things to share with you. First, Mr. Redford does not maintain a public email address on the internet. If he did he would be getting updates from us as the petition progresses, but there are obvious reasons why he would not. This means that when I close this petition, and I am currently thinking next Monday, 1/19/15, I will be writing a personal cover letter and include a copy of the petition, the signatures and the comments. Second thing, regarding your signatures. I can download signatures on demand in a CSV file which is functional in Excel. I am doing this twice a day as I don't want to lose track of anyone's signatures. The file includes your name, city, state, zipcode, country, and date signed. Your email is not included and I don't have visibility to that in any form. I BELIEVE change.org uses your email to set you up sort of like a customer. For example, when I started this process I found under my email other petitions I have signed in the past. That is all I know about this process. I truly appreciate you bringing this wikipedia article to all of our attention as I was unaware of it. My main criticism of change.org at this point is a user is not given complete information of how the process works in advance of starting a petition. Thanks for your feedback!
    ?? is it possible to edit these posts? I meant to say after I close the petition I will be mailing hard copy to Mr. Redford's attention at Wildwood Enterprises, probably by overnight delivery. The film will be shown at Sundance the following week and I would also like to have notice of their receipt.

I woud reword the "dispose of waste properly" to "packit in, pack it out" Dispose of waste properly could be open to (incorrect) interpertation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++