WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southbound Sleeping Bag Advice

Hey everyone, I am planning a Southbound Thru-hike for 2015. For financial reasons I will only be purchasing One sleeping bag for the entire hike.

The two bag I am trying to choose between are:
    -- Big Agnes Lost Lake SL 30 -- a 30 degree bag
    -- Big Agnes Bellyache Mountain SL 17 -- a 17 degree bag
    I know most people are going with 20 degree bags but I am going to get a good deal with big agnes so these are my most affordable options.

I figured if I go with the 30 degree bag I can supplement with a liner and clothes if it gets cold. This will allow me to split up my weight and not carry more than I need during warmer sections. My concern is whether the 30 degree bag will be warm enough for the whole hike.

If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Images

When are you starting, and how fast do you plan on hiking ?
    I hiked sobo last year. June 7 - Nov 24th. I started with a Marmot 20° bag. There was a few mights in Maine I was glad I hadn't brought my 40°. I switched to a 40° bag from home for Mass-> mid VA. Then picked my 20° back up from home. I added a S2S extreme reactor bag liner in Damascus. It helped a lot. But there was easily 5 nights that I froze (by froze I don't mean was cold & slept. I mean I shivered all night & had to stay curled up in tight ball, then knees cramp up, and hardly sleep & it's miserable).

So I'd go with the warmest bag you can get. Just use it like a quilt when it's hot. And don't get rid of your DEET before Maryland. NY, NJ,& PA had enough mosquitoes at night that you had to use DEET or hide under the sleepingbag. And it was too hot to hide under sleepingbag.

Thanks so much for the reply. I am really glad to get a response from someone with first hand experience.

I will be starting in the middle of June and will be playing the speed of the trip by ear. Being that I will only have one bag my concern is carrying a lot of extra weight when i don't need it. Being freezing cold, however is obviously worse than carrying an extra half pound. Do you remember when/where you were when you did get cold. Do you remember how cold it got?

Well I took a 30 degree Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamina on both my NOBO's and I started Mid Feb, with no liner and I was perfectly warm most SOBO's start in summer and end in late fall the only cool weather you will see will be in the last month.

I would suggest you go with the 30 degree bag with no liner to start and you can alas pick a liner up someplace down the trail.
    Most folks get so Tangled up with the sleeping bag they forget abut the sleeping pad a good QUALITY pad will add warmth to your bag.

If you don't want a serious answer don't ask the ****ING QUESTION.

Im not sure what made you thing I don't want a "serious answer." Im sorry if I offended you in some way. Lets try to stay positive

I hiked from June 19 to November 7 in 2013 with only an old 20 degree bag. There were some cold nights down south, but by then I had my puffy jacket and some other warm clothing which helped a lot. I never used a liner.
    I would recommend the warmer bag. Its easy to unzip if it's too warm.
    MEGA '13

Journal Entries

My 30 degree Marmot down bag was fine, from Maine in late June until Mt Rogers in November and temps in the teens. After that, even a liner and all my clothes weren't enough.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Images

I went sobo starting in mid-August, so with your July start you can expect warmer temperatures than me even if you hike really slow. I started with a 40 deg bag, and then switched to a 20 degree after the Whites. I would have done well with a 30 degree bag the whole way, except for a day or two in November and December down south that would have been a little uncomfortable (but doable). With your schedule, assuming you're not a really cold sleeper, a 30 deg bag should be good the whole way.

Images

From Roan Highlands south the weather was an issue. Not all the time, for sure (plenty of tshirt days). But end of October- Nov 24. My 20° down & 40° synthetic actually weighed the same (2 lbs 3 oz). The liner added 8 oz. Well worth the extra warmth. Slept comfortable on the Smokies on a 10° night with puffy jacket & bag liner.(weekenders had thermometer). Couple nights after that, it was 10° in the sun on Walyh Bald at 2 pm...that night before at Wesser was the coldest night on trail...don't know temp, but cold as ****.

++ New Posts ++