Default Need hiking buddy! 2015 AT

Hello!

My name is Marietta. I'm 23 and in desperate need of at least someone to start the trail with! Unfortunately, due to life circumstances, I'm rather out of shape at the moment. I do, however, still day hike on the regular, though Michigan is anything but mountainous and rather chilly at the moment. For now, I'm trying to get back into shape so I can do this. Yoga, day hikes, indoor rock climbing, that sort of thing. This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and I'm determined to push for it even if I'm not as prepared as I might like to be! If not now, when?

In other words, I'm not sure how fit I'm going to be in the beginning and would hate to be holding someone back, so flexibility would be wonderful! As of now, I plan to leave Michigan on March 30. This date is flexible, though I would rather not leave much earlier than that. I intend to hike NOBO starting at Springer. I know this is really short notice, but I have to take this opportunity. I don't need someone to commit to the entire trail, but a buddy in the early stages would be greatly appreciated! And also ease my family's worries!

-Marietta

Images

Starting end of March or first of April you will have plenty of company. Probably 30 or more will start each day at that time

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

After sleeping on it, I think I'm going to push harder for that approach. Mostly I was just hoping to ease everyone's worries. I've sent my family some literature/testimonials and whatnot, but I guess it's understandable to worry about a 23 year old woman going into the woods alone for so long. Hopefully they'll hear me! If anyone else is in the same boat, and would like to have someone to start with, I'm not opposed! As of now, I'm still looking for someone to start the trail with!

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Just a suggestion ,I would recommend going to Amicalola State Park and staying at the lodge for a one day or 2 you will find some of the female hikers and others arranging for shuttles to Springer . This will gives you a feeling for the people that you'll be with when you're starting off on your hike. You can also camp at the campground there at Amicalola Falls and walk up to the lodge have dinner and meet people in the lobby.. I would also address other Female hikers in the womens forum on White Blazes. And PM each other ....Meet and greet at Lodge in the lobby at State Park Lodge. You probably would have to make reservations very soon to get a room or campsite. As others have already stated there will be plenty of folks on the trail at the end of March and early April.. The last few years my friends and I have done some trail angle work between Woody's gap in the NOC mostly in mid-March.You may also want to read up on using a Spot ( emergency locator) to ease your parents , friends concerns while the trail.

Thank you! I will check that out right now!

Also search facebook for some 2105 group pages. You should be able to connect on there with someone.
    https://www.facebook.com/appalachiantrail2015

Hey Marietta,
    I am currently living and working in London. I am possibly quite impulsively thinking of doing the AT this year too. I am however limited by my visa which will only last 90 days. Am looking to start at Springer in late March. Like 28-ish. I am 33yrs old and a qualified nurse. I have no idea how far 85-90 days of walking will take me so don't currently have an end point. I too am also not that fit but have no doubt the AT will get me there :-) I haven't officially decided about it all but am seriously considering it. Feel free to keep/get in touch if you're still looking for someone to start with.

Oh! This could be swell! I shall send you a message!

Still on the hunt for a hiking buddy! Flexible leave date after March 20, 2015!

Journal Entries
    Images

Have you looked at the spreadsheet? Send some pm's to those starting when you are . . . (I noticed you are not on it . . .)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations
    how to hike

If you are not in good hiking shape yet you might want to skip the approach trail. A great option would be to stay at the hiker hostle in Dahlnega and get a shuttle to within 9 tenths of a mile from the trail start. Always a lot of folks at the hostel and Josh and Leigh are fantastic people.

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    If you are not in good hiking shape yet you might want to skip the approach trail. A great option would be to stay at the hiker hostle in Dahlnega and get a shuttle to within 9 tenths of a mile from the trail start. Always a lot of folks at the hostel and Josh and Leigh are fantastic people.
    A hiker in not good enough shape to do the approach trail should not be attempting the AT. The approach trail is not all that difficult.

Looks like I've found a couple of girls to start the trail with! Will be leaving March 27 and doing the approach trail! Really excited about this adventure! Thank you for all the help and advice!

-Marietta

Good luck alegria7. Go for it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    A hiker in not good enough shape to do the approach trail should not be attempting the AT. The approach trail is not all that difficult.
    I have done the Approach Trail twice and YES it is very difficult, however, I think this is a little harsh! The Approach Trail is a test, but the hiker will be either determined or not. Why are we scaring off potential female hikers when our numbers dwindle anyway? This saddens me to see this.
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Hey Marietta, I'm Molly. I'm also 23 and plan to start the trail solo around April 12 or 13 likely starting at the approach trail. I have a friend who intended to start with me, but she had to put that off last minute and she will meet me on the trail in early May. Hopefully I'll see you out there! My family is also a little concerned about my being by myself so it's nice to know there will be other girls near Springer at this time. Message me if you want to meet up!

We're starting on March 27, so maybe we'll see you out there after a while! Happy trails!
    "I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but please, don't ask me who I am." - Sylvia Plath

++ New Posts ++