WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Approach Trail

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Everyone is different. I could easily hike the approach to hawk and time to spare. Others could likely hike the approach to Gooch Mountain Shelter. Others yet can't make it to Springer.

Here is the thing. It literally does not make what I can do. What a "real," "seasoned" thru hiker would do. It is your hike. You must walk the miles. Here is the great about the AT (and simultaneously not so great thing about the AT which Dogwood kind of pointed out), with a guide, there are endless opportunities to camp. Hike to Black Gap Shelter. Still have time and energy to spare. Keep going. Get to Springer/Springer Mountain Shelter. Still got time and energy to spare? Get guide book and look for next convenient water/campsite/shelter and go. At Strover and it is too early in the day, get trial guide and look at Long Creek Falls campsite. Get there. Still have time/energy? Let's get to Hawk Mountain Shelter. How much time do I have left? Can i make it to cooper gap? Sassafras Mountain looks like my first real climb. Damn, there is no water at Cooper Gap. It is a dry site. Do I want to make camp with no nearby water? Do I want to hike with more water then usual to get through the night? How about justus creek? Can I make that?

Preview your hike the day before. Don't memorize it. Just know generally the convenient water sources, campsites, shelters, and of course views. From there gauge your day

Hike until lunch time. At lunch time, get out your guide. How much time do I have left? How much gas is left in tank? Dry sections? Ample water? Climbs? How far can I realistically go? Look for a campsite just before the goal just in case you can't make it. When you get to your goal reassess?

I have to plan each aspect of my hike because I usually have 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 full days of hiking to do 30-35 miles as a weekend warrior. But you are not me. You are thru hiking for Christ sake? What does it matter? You know you will be there for 6 months right? It doesn't matter.

Know the trail. Know your goals. But most importantly, be flexible.
    Great reply, pulled some tips from this.

If you don't want to do the approach trail, what are your options? I've done the approach trail before. I did research a parking spot about .9 miles from the top of Springer that hikers could potentially be dropped off at.

Quote Originally Posted by Skye15 View Post
    If you don't want to do the approach trail, what are your options? I've done the approach trail before. I did research a parking spot about .9 miles from the top of Springer that hikers could potentially be dropped off at.
    Yes, FS 42 is a popular drop off point. If you stay at the Hiker Hostel they will give you the option of being dropped off there. The mile to Springer and back is easy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Here's a couple of pics of the trail coming up from Big Stamp Gap, aka FS 42 parking lot/drop off .9 miles from Springer. While everyone who has hiked it says it's 'easy', it's not a simple walk for newbies who aren't in hiking shape. Yeah, it's not that steep, but the one thing I learned quickly was that it's not a nice groomed trail like I trained on in parks and such around home. It's mostly rocky and full of roots, and a lot of them are loose and slippery. This is where your first AT lesson is learned--you won't get to enjoy the views while hiking as much as you thought, because you'll be looking at the ground most of the time planning your next step.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Thanks, Double Wide and Slo-go'en. The pics are great. Definitely a vet to staring at the ground - sometimes i have to remind myself the ground isnt the only place to look when I hike lol. I'm pretty clumsy though. Last epic fall was hiking down Standing Indian, all the leaves were on the ground completely covering acorns and I did a split that would make a gymnast jealous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++