WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Default Should I Even Bother With Externals?

First, thanks to everyone who helped with my earlier question about cheap gear. I apologize for not having thanked you before.
    Now, second question: It seems like external packs are on their way out, as we are down to only one manufacturer. Now, my girlfriend will probably need an internal anyway, since she has little flexibility in her lower back and therefore needs something that will conform to her rather than vice versa. However, I was kind of interested in exploring externals for two reasons; a.) the layout of the pack and the little pockets and so forth seem to make organization easier, and Lord knows I need help with organization, and b.) I sweat like a pig from my back, and some air space back there would be very helpful. However, if externals are not going to be around much longer, it seems pointless to invest in a technology that is going to be obsolete soon. What are other people's opinions?
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Images

try some of both types on, with weight, and go with what is most accomodating to your comfort level.

Only one manufacturer? I can think of numerous right off the top of my head (LuxuryLite, Kelty, Coleman, Outdoor Products, Jansport). And they run the gamut from high quality (and expensive) on down. External frame backpacks will probably never be "obsolete" because the concept works.

Granted, you will probably never find an external pack as light as some internals, but mine is below 4 pounds. Face it, the majority of us will never be ultralighters, however an external frame pack doesn't necessarily doom you to a 50 pound load either.

My personal opinion is that an external would probably be perfectly fine for most people. They simply aren't the fad right now. Just like SUV's, the majority of the people have them because that's what every one else has, not because it meets their needs. Manufacturers make what will sell and the saleman in the store usually doesn't know any better.

I personally find that an external frame is better for my bad back than my internal. My pack is anchored to my body only at my hips, the shoulder straps merely hold it steady. My back is free to move as it wants to. An internal frame pack with stays or a framesheet doesn't not allow me the same amount of flexibility.
    kncats

Images

i gotta 2001 gregory whitney that only has a/b 5000 miles on it.

i can hook you up with a real good price.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

for that matter, i gotta 1998 gregory redwood, navy, 4800 cu in, size L, that only has about 3000 miles on it and is in good condition. i can hook you up with an even better offer.

or, i have a 2004 gregory Zpack, black, 3900 cu in, size L, that also has about 3000 miles on it, and is in fair condition. i can hook you with the best offer.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I have used both type of packs over the years and both are have qualities that make them useful to certain hikers. I use my external for heavy pack loads and for hiking in high humid hiking times down here in the deep south. I do not have to worry about sweat transfer as I do with my internal. Most internal are a great deal lighter than externals but do not manage heavy loads quite as well as externals. I would think internals are more popular with a lot of hikers because that is what is shown at most outfitters and they don't want you to use you dads old pack. I really like the fit and feel of my external pack. My internal pack was great for hiking the mountains of New England. I would suggest is to go for what works for you cause the trail is long and you might as well use the pack that feels right for you. Life is good on the trail......Swamp Dawg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    for that matter, i gotta 1998 gregory redwood, navy, 4800 cu in, size L, that only has about 3000 miles on it and is in good condition. i can hook you up with an even better offer.

or, i have a 2004 gregory Zpack, black, 3900 cu in, size L, that also has about 3000 miles on it, and is in fair condition. i can hook you with the best offer.
    quit cuttin' in on my action

No, you shouldn't bother with externals. I have a Dana Terraplane 10th Anniversity internal (rare) with only 6000 miles on it.

You want to carry some weight comfortably? This is the pack!

Images

I have an internal osprey and an external kelty. I tried using the internal last year but it killed my lower back. Switched to the external as it rode on my hips instead of form fitting my back and went 1100 miles before something else took me off the trail.

It really is a personal thing and what works will be what works.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

I think you should borrow an external, load it up, and take it for a hike. People need to find out what works for THEM, and this is true with packs as with anything else. Most folks have switched over to internal frame packs, but there are still plenty who prefer the old-fashioned models, and swear by their external packs.

Try out both, see what works for you, and decide then!

As others have hinted, there is no one piece of gear that works for all. Unfortunately, when it comes to backpacks, Kelty is the only major manufacturer still making an external.

But, I wouldn't necessarily rule them out. Like Jack posted, try both types on, and see which fits you best.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    I think you should borrow an external, load it up, and take it for a hike. People need to find out what works for THEM, and this is true with packs as with anything else. Most folks have switched over to internal frame packs, but there are still plenty who prefer the old-fashioned models, and swear by their external packs.

Try out both, see what works for you, and decide then!
    And again the wisdom of Jack says it all. I was a dedicated external frame guy, and still take my Jansport out for a walk now and again, but to lighten the load over a long haul switched to an internal. Beg, borrow, or rent one of each and take a test drive - finding what works for you is essential to being happy on the trail!
    So be it.
    --John

Here's the link to a recent discussion on this very topic.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10617

The above thread touched several times on the idea that some folks may like internals because they are a newer technology and more fashionable-I don't know if that's true, but I've used both internal and external, and prefer external unless I am carrying very very light loads.
    Jack's above advice about trying both is pretty smart.

internal carry more comfortably and effortlessly, but externals are still cool. once i was hiking iwth my dad, and he was lagging, so i offered to let him carry my 30 or so lb pack, and i carry his 40lb external. it was old, so the shoulders wouldnt adjust, so no hip belt. even then, i think on some occasions the breathability is worth it. i sorta want to make my own frame.

Images

i gotta 2001 gregory whitney that only has a/b 5000 miles on it.

i can hook you up with a real good price.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates

I do sincerely appreciate the offers, guys, but right now I don't have the cash for even the bestest of deals.
    David Perry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kncats

Granted, you will probably never find an external pack as light as some internals, but mine is below 4 pounds. Face it, the majority of us will never be ultralighters, however an external frame pack doesn't necessarily doom you to a 50 pound load either.
    While I don't intend to pile on weight stupidly, I'm not going to be obsessive about it, either. For instance, if I can talk my dad into giving to me/selling me cheaply his old stove, I'm going to use that, even if it's heavier than modern ones to begin with and only takes big propane canisters, because a.) I want something that I know I can start right away and won't have to worry about cleaning and so forth and b.) being a complete klutz, I can't imagine trying to cook on those tiny little surfaces the modern stoves have. Same thing with the cookware. I'm going to take the old aluminum pot I have that I usually use for my home cooking anyway, because it's bigger and you can cook more in it. So if the pack is a little heavier, that's fine. Now, my girlfriend I'm probably going to be a little more obsessive about, because she weighs 95 pounds soaking wet and I really don't want her getting much above 20. The good thing is, a lot of our hikes are only going to be two-nighters, so we won't have to load up too much for those, anyway.

I personally find that an external frame is better for my bad back than my internal. My pack is anchored to my body only at my hips, the shoulder straps merely hold it steady. My back is free to move as it wants to. An internal frame pack with stays or a framesheet doesn't not allow me the same amount of flexibility.
    Interesting. Maybe I will have her try the external then after all.

I do understand what all of you are saying about GYOG (that's Gearing Your Own Gear ), but that still doesn't quite answer my question. What I'm looking for is whether we can reasonably still expect externals to be manufactured for the long term, because if we can't, then there doesn't seem to be much point in getting one, even if they might be better in my personal case. Although maybe I am overestimating the difficulties of keeping these things maintained and getting spare parts and so forth. . .
    David Perry

Quote Originally Posted by dperry
    Although maybe I am overestimating the difficulties of keeping these things maintained and getting spare parts and so forth. . .
    Yep. Don't worry about it, they're not that complicated and if it breaks you can fix it with ordinary stuff. Once you have a pack, fixing it is no big deal (if you ever need to). I have some packs from the 70s that are no longer made, there is no "maintenance"; besides in a couple years you might try another pack anyway so its not like you're married to the thing! happy hiking...

Images

Default should i bother with externals

I like the externals and enjoy their company can hang stuff on them and well i guess I am just attached.ky

++ New Posts ++