Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Contemplating switch from AT thru to PCT

I'm thinking about switching my first thru from the AT to the PCT, so I need some clarity on these main topics:

1. Can I start a nobo PCT on March 1st? If I have to skip some "impassable" parts, is that a big deal? Are those the best parts? I kind of have no place to live starting March 1st, so I have to go somewhere.

2. Will the gear I already bought for the AT work on the PCT (non-free standing tent, 68 liter pack, 20 degree bag, warm layered clothing)? I've tested my setup down to 10*F -- that's what I start to feel a little chilly.

The big draws of the PCT for me are the scenery, less people, and general lack of deer ticks (four people in my family have had lyme -- I grew up in CT -- and one of them got chronic lyme, which is life-altering, really horrible ... & I hear the rate of lyme on the AT is like 15% now. Even if I didn't get lyme on either trail, just not having to worry about that @#$ on the PCT would make the hike more pleasant. Also I've had Malaria & just generally don't want any more potentially life-long diseases). I'm also drawn to the PCT because I have a wonky knee and I've heard the PCT's "graded" trail is friendlier on knees. I've section-hiked most of the Vermont/NH section of the AT, so I know what that's like & I can deal -- but a "graded" trail sounds so cushy & alluring, is it really that much easier? I know I'll have to carry more water-weight so perhaps the impact on the knee is a wash?

Thanks!

Garlic
    Images

March 1 is pretty darn early. There are some snow-covered peaks even in southern CA that might need to be skipped. I wouldn't want to deal with the logistics.

I used my PCT kit on the AT (did the PCT first). So I think the same stuff can be used on both trails. But most AT packs I saw would have been pretty heavy for a PCT hike.

A successful PCT thru hike needs a faster average pace, upwards of 18 miles per day (longer trail, shorter season). That kind of daily pace can be tough on joints, even with no climbing at all.

The PCT definitely has less elevation gain per mile than the AT, and the tread is generally excellent, but as you said, the resupply difficulties need to be considered, both food and water. The average haul on the PCT is pretty much the maximum on the AT.

You'll probably worry about deadly snakes and painful scorpions on the PCT, and running out of water. And crossing snow and ice and the high Sierra streams flooded with snow melt. Navigation is a little tougher, map and compass skills more important especially in snow. Different concerns, for sure.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by raphaelmatto View Post
    I'm thinking about switching my first thru from the AT to the PCT, so I need some clarity on these main topics:

1. Can I start a nobo PCT on March 1st? If I have to skip some "impassable" parts, is that a big deal? Are those the best parts? I kind of have no place to live starting March 1st, so I have to go somewhere.

2. Will the gear I already bought for the AT work on the PCT (non-free standing tent, 68 liter pack, 20 degree bag, warm layered clothing)? I've tested my setup down to 10*F -- that's what I start to feel a little chilly.

The big draws of the PCT for me are the scenery, less people, and general lack of deer ticks (four people in my family have had lyme -- I grew up in CT -- and one of them got chronic lyme, which is life-altering, really horrible ... & I hear the rate of lyme on the AT is like 15% now. Even if I didn't get lyme on either trail, just not having to worry about that @#$ on the PCT would make the hike more pleasant. Also I've had Malaria & just generally don't want any more potentially life-long diseases). I'm also drawn to the PCT because I have a wonky knee and I've heard the PCT's "graded" trail is friendlier on knees. I've section-hiked most of the Vermont/NH section of the AT, so I know what that's like & I can deal -- but a "graded" trail sounds so cushy & alluring, is it really that much easier? I know I'll have to carry more water-weight so perhaps the impact on the knee is a wash?

Thanks!
    Starting March 1st: Unless this year is another dry year as bad as last year, March 1st is too early. In SoCAL, you can skip around some of the snow you may encounter, but once you get to the Sierra Nevada, there is no skipping. Most years, when hikers try to skip further north, they hit more snow and it doesn't work out. You are talking about showing up at the Sierra Nevada 6 weeks earlier then hikers normally try.

Using AT gear on PCT: Yes it will work. My 20F quilt was warm enough and I finished Oct.2 in a snow storm. Non free standing tent is no problem. I used a tarp. Hikers tend to go lighter on the PCT then the AT. One, you normally are hiking a faster pace due to the easier grade and the need to hike a longer trail with a tight weather window (winter hiking is beyond the ability of most hikers as it's more like montaineering). The weather tends to be nicer on the PCT; at least until you get to Washington. I cowboyed camped most of the trail and only set my tarp up for weather 9 times.

The PCT does have a better grade. My opinion of the AT in Maine and NH was that the trail builders were bribed by a local knee surgeon trying to get extra business. The PCT is nicely graded. It isn't always easy though. The Sierra Nevada was tough though some of that is the high elevation. You will have to carry more weight in water and in food. Food resupplies are farther apart on the PCT (4-5 day carries was normal with a few longer carries).

So heavier pack weight & more miles per day will probably make it a wash w/the knee, & bad timing w/March 1st is a large factor -- thanks for the insight!

My base weight is about 9 pounds, maybe I can trim some of that off before the PCT next year. & honestly I was just a little spooked after looking up those lyme disease statistics, gotta not do that. I am looking forward to the AT lots.

One quick point: among successful A.T. thru-hikers, all the data I've seen (including what ATC has collected), puts the Lyme disease infection rate at roughly at 5%, give or take a few percentage points. That being said, I agree Lyme and other tick-borne diseases are a very serious risk (often underestimated by thru-hikers), not only on the A.T. but in many areas of the East. These are avoidable, but few are willing to go to the lengths required, especially in summer weather. Northbounders are especially at risk.

A few A.T. hikers have also contracted Anaplasmosis (which can be life-threatening), Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Ehrlichiosis, but Lyme is the big one.

It's possible the infection rate is higher among unsuccessful A.T. thru-hikers, and may contribute to their having to give up their hikes. I certainly hear of that happening every year.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Wear permithrin treated clothing including your socks. Considering treating your pack also. That should greatly reduce your chance of picking a tick up and thus Lyme. They don't like the stuff and will quickly fall off if one happens to land on you. Also works great for the mosquitos too when combined with long sleeves and pants.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by raphaelmatto View Post

Thanks!
    can you start March 1st? Sure. Will you have a really slow first 700 miles, absolutely. It is a good plan to go into the Sierra (mile 700) before June 1st especially if you have little experience with real snow, and sorry Ct doesn't count. That pace is nearly impossible to keep without doing massive numbers of zero because of water, you will hike faster. depending on the snow year and your level of experience there could be parts that are sketchy that early. generally the biggest problem areas in SoCal would be San Jacinto and the area around Baden Powell and possibly the area just north of Mission Creek.

While the grade IN PLACES is gentle, by no means is this a paved path. It is longer, snow will mess may impact you more than grade and if not mistaken there is more overall elevation gain. I would not pick the PCT based on the factor at all. As for the rest of your reasons, that is why I chose the PCt as well.

in general your gear will likely work though many cowboy camp 90% of the time. (I set up a shelter three times.)

The most common time to start is the end of April or beginning of May. I agree that March 1 is too early for a start date. As others have said, even long before the Sierras there could be snowed-in sections. (San Jacinto in particular) Reaching Kennedy Meadows around mid-April, there will probably be snow all the way to Lake Tahoe or farther. You would likely have to skip hundreds of miles, and would still run into snow anyway.

I would only attempt this start date if you are very experienced with hiking for long periods in deep snow, and also have good navigation skills because the trail will be hidden under the snow.

Your gear would be fine for an April-May start. And yes, the PCT is much nicer to walk on than the AT, especially the AT in New England. The grade is almost never more than 500ft per mile, while 1000 ft per mile is common on the AT. If you absolutely can't change your start date, I would say just do the AT instead. (you'll still have snow but at least the trail will be passable) You don't want to skip the best part of the PCT.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Wear permithrin treated clothing including your socks. Considering treating your pack also. That should greatly reduce your chance of picking a tick up and thus Lyme. They don't like the stuff and will quickly fall off if one happens to land on you. Also works great for the mosquitos too when combined with long sleeves and pants.
    Ditto this. I used permethrin on long sleeves and trousers and didn't get a single tick on the AT. Same with my partner. I added a headnet for mosquitoes (best 1/2 ounce ever carried) and never even used DEET. The risk can be minimized, with little chemical exposure. The same strategy worked for the mossies in the Sierra on the PCT.

It sounds like your base weight is well-suited for a PCT hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Assuming you have money for the travel expenses, you could go south and fool around on the Florida Trail for a few weeks, then head west. Just imagine the contrast from elevation alone!

March 1st is too early, I will be starting the PCT April 10th some folks say that's still a little to early but I have lots of winter experience and can deal with what ever comes my way, in my opinion the PCT Is WAY better than the AT, less people, better views, more of a wilderness experience , Friendlier folks, the PCT is just a better all around trail experience.
    The AT in my opinion isn't worth the HASSLE to hike any more.

wait a little longer then go WEST for a better experience.

Images

Not sure what "hassle" red-dog is referring to with hiking the AT; doing so is very easy in a lot of ways (except the intense BOREDOM part....), but I've said it before: if you ever want to do both, do the AT first or you will be completely spoiled by hiking in the west (sorry, easterners, we all love and brag about our "home" terrain).

And I 100% agree, you'd just have to skip a ton of the PCT starting that early, I've climbed on hard/steep/deep snow my entire adult life and I wouldn't touch those sierras that early, way too much work (and even potential Avy danger) IMHO.

For deer tick mitigation on the AT I simply used permethryn on key places (pant legs, sock, underwear) and took a very small mirror for, er, "self inspection" almost every night when summer hit. didn't really worry about it much then.

Excellent, thanks so much everyone for these comments. Definitely don't want to miss "the best part" of the pct! I'm all over the permethrin situation, will try to avoid deet, and am thinking of getting some netting for my legs in summer. Thanks esp for the tip re spraying my pack w/permethrin, hadn't thought of that, only my tent in addition to clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option depending on budget and life: Hike the AT for a month or two and then head west. Given that we have basically no snow so far, unless things change you could probably start anywhere south of VT.

Woah jred, my mind is blown, I kind of love that idea! I have to skip off for a wedding early July anyway, so I can go back to the trail on the opposite coast and miss the worst tick country and the sections I've already done. Thanks! Kind of a bi-coastal flip flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transportation is a big factor. I would go pct.

Images

It has been pointed out that the biggest difference betwen the AT and PCT hikes is that the PCT is a wilderness experience. I have trekked in Northern India, two days in each direction for any assistance. Experience may play a part in your consideration.

Perhaps you could do the Arizona Trail before getting onto the Pacific Crest Trail.

My first thru attempt in 2013 was going to be the AT. I switched to the PCT. I didnt end up thru hiking but Im glad I chose the PCT.

This year it is forecast to be warmer earlier on the west coast. On the east coast it is forecast to be colder later.

I forgot to mention my main reasoning in avoiding the AT was ticks. I hate them.

Funny enough though my first ever embedded tick was picked up just south of Idyllwild before the detour.

There are species of ticks on the PCT that are vectors for lyme. However, there are far fewer ticks than the AT. Also, there seems to be a natural bottleneck in that the lizards in which the would be lyme carrying ticks primarily feed upon have a protein in their blood that kills lyme.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++