Default Caching in onf??

Has any anyone tried marking resupply caches for them selfs along the Florida trail in the long.. Like water,food, maybe spare dry socks.Something small easily hidden or buried ?

The notice expired last June and I don't know if they have issued a new one in regard to food or other bear attractant on the Ocala Forest.

Possessing, storing, or leaving any food, refuse, or bear attractant unless it is: properly stored in a bear-resistant container;

suspended at least ten feet clear of the ground at all points, suspended at least four feet from the supporting tree or pole, and suspended at least four feet from any other tree or pole adjacent to the supporting tree or pole;

stored in a closed, motor vehicle without a soft, convertible top; or

being eaten, being prepared for eating, or being transported.

Discarding or abandoning any food, refuse, or bear attractant unless it is:

disposed of in a bear-resistant trash receptacle with has been provided by the Forest Service for that purpose.

Burning or burying any food, refuse, or bear attractant.
    The following definitions shall apply to this Closure Order:

Bear attractant: means any substance having an odor that may attract bears, such as food, cooking grease, toothpaste, soap, and garbage.

Bear-resistant container: means a securable container constructed of solid non-pliable material capable of withstanding 200 foot-pounds of energy. When secured and under stress, the container will not have any cracks, openings, or hinges that would allow a bear to gain entry by biting or pulling with its claws. Wood containers are not considered bear-resistant unless they are reinforced with metal.

Food: means any nourishing substance, solid or liquid, which is not native to the immediate area, including nourishing substances for humans, pets, and livestock. Food does not mean water and baled hay. Refuse: means any discarded material or solid waste.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/florid...TELPRDB5268952
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

So water and cloths should be fine as for food I was thinking like instant potatos and rice ??

Images

88 store to Hopkins Prairie was the driest section I have hiked, however, this has been a wet year I am thinking the ponds should have water. You could probably leave a something at the 88 store, hopkins prairie, juniper springs rec area.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I'm doing a scouting hike next weekend to better check it out if things work out

Images

I hiking hopkins to juniper with camping at hidden pond in a few weeks. I have hiked the entire ONF but I keep going back and doing sections rarely tire of it.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    I hiking hopkins to juniper with camping at hidden pond in a few weeks. I have hiked the entire ONF but I keep going back and doing sections rarely tire of it.
    Well if you ever need a hicking buddy ill try to get out with ya!

++ New Posts ++